Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 01:32 PM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,600 times

Advertisements

And should I run for the hills?!! It's huge! This is it's underbelly, but the design looks similar on top. I couldn't get a picture of it from the top as it's too close to the house. It spun a web off the garden hose holder and the brick on the house. You can see how huge it is. The brick sizes are the standard size. Anyway.....is this poisonous?
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of spider is this?-dscf0113.jpg   What kind of spider is this?-dscf0116.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2008, 01:49 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
It looks like a writing spider. We have one near our back deck. They can create some pretty impressive webs and are relatively harmless. There's a lot of folklore connected to them.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:34 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Can't tell for sure, but I think it's an Argiope. I snapped a picture of one the other day while out on a walk. Does it look like the same beast?

Funny story: When I was in elementary school, probably 7 or 8 years old, I captured one of these out behind the playground in a bushy area. I had it in a margarine container that my mother packed in my lunch and I put it in my lunchbox for safe-keeping until I got home. Well. . . . . .the afternoon went on, I rode home on the bus, and I forgot all about Mr Argiope. . . . . . until my mother let out a blood curdling scream. She found the spider while unpacking my lunchbox after school
Attached Thumbnails
What kind of spider is this?-dsc00004.jpg  

Old 10-12-2008, 02:42 PM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
We had one of these living on our back deck for well over two months this summer. What fun to watch! She would move incredibly fast once a "prey item" was trapped in her web. She got bigger and bigger until finally....she disappeared! Sorry to see her gone, really.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:48 PM

64 posts, read 177,636 times
That looks like an argiope, also known as a writing spider. They are harmless to humans. This website has some better pictures that will help with identification.

Black-and-Yellow Argiope (Argiope aurantia)

Old 10-12-2008, 03:02 PM

Thanks everyone!! I had no idea what it was, but it looked pretty fierce to me. Glad to know it's harmless!

What's the fokelore around it???

Old 10-12-2008, 03:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,096,719 times
I know they look scary but they're totally harmless (and catch a lot of pesky bugs). I usually leave them right where they are. They'll all be gone om a week or two, this is the "season" for them right now.

Old 10-12-2008, 04:03 PM

233 posts, read 860,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Thanks everyone!! I had no idea what it was, but it looked pretty fierce to me. Glad to know it's harmless!

What's the fokelore around it???

Some folklore and facts....

This is the same type of spider that the story Charlottes Web by E.B. White was based on. (whenever we have one in the yard, we refer to her as Charlotte, I always loved that story).

They only live for one season, they hatch out of their egg sacks in the spring, and in the fall they spin large webs and then produce their own egg sacks for spring hatching. Usually they will get up atleast 2 or 3 egg sacks.

The first good cold night will kill her, which is sad to me.

She will usually look for a good protected area to build her web in, once it becomes too damaged from prey or intruders, she will move and start a new web, but she won't go very far.

The only Folklore I know attributed with them is that if you can read your name in her heavy silk zig-zags you will die.

We have one on the side of my house right now, and just since yesterday she has put up her third egg sack.

I really hate spiders, but she is the only one I will really go out of my way not to disturb, I actually think she is a pretty one.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
Some folklore and facts....

This is the same type of spider that the story Charlottes Web by E.B. White was based on. (whenever we have one in the yard, we refer to her as Charlotte, I always loved that story).

They only live for one season, they hatch out of their egg sacks in the spring, and in the fall they spin large webs and then produce their own egg sacks for spring hatching. Usually they will get up atleast 2 or 3 egg sacks.

The first good cold night will kill her, which is sad to me.

She will usually look for a good protected area to build her web in, once it becomes too damaged from prey or intruders, she will move and start a new web, but she won't go very far.

The only Folklore I know attributed with them is that if you can read your name in her heavy silk zig-zags you will die.

We have one on the side of my house right now, and just since yesterday she has put up her third egg sack.

I really hate spiders, but she is the only one I will really go out of my way not to disturb, I actually think she is a pretty one.
That's really cool, Tassy! Thanks for that info! I won't look to see if my name is spelled in the web.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:52 PM

255 posts, read 742,671 times
Default Spider

Does it look like this one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary