U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-13-2008, 02:10 PM

574 posts, read 764,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
FYI for anyone interested - Here's the Livestock judging schedule (http://www.ncstatefair.org/2008/competitions/livestock.htm - broken link)
Crap. I first read that as Livestock Juggling schedule. Now that would have been awesome!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2008, 03:54 PM

140 posts, read 324,706 times
There is a ton of agriculture at the state fair. I am a BIG fan of the state fair and have probably been talking about going to it again since the last one ended in October. I do not ride the rides, nor have I ever and there is always plenty to do that I end up staying the whole day and sometimes have to go 2-3 times.

Be sure to check out all the produce and the really large pumpkins. I also enjoy looking at the artwork that the local school children have on display. And one of my absolute favorite things is the decorated cakes and the cookies.

I LOVE the state fair and before I go on and on about it, I will just say you should go at least once for the experience.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:59 PM

7,362 posts, read 14,269,830 times
If you stay on the midway, you'll never encounter the agricultural side of the fair or the crafts, but there is plenty of that to be found. Also a lot of the agricultural stuff takes place during the day (like 4-H goat showing and stuff like that).
The main fair buidling has all sort of neat stuff like the biggest pumpkins, jelly making and cake decorating contests and tons of other stuff. The Village of Yesteryear is nice too, but it's become a little commercial for my tastes. Still, there's some nice stuff there!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:54 PM

7,934 posts, read 10,293,474 times
Quote:
but we've got a 3 yo and will probably want to bring a stroller
Seems to me that the Fair is too crowded to maneuver a stroller much--shoulder-to-shoulder crowds a lot, and a kid would get very claustrophobic among all those legs. Maybe you could carry him on your shoulders instead? I thought 3 was a little old for strollers, anyway?

Old 10-13-2008, 07:06 PM

4,406 posts, read 7,135,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Seems to me that the Fair is too crowded to maneuver a stroller much--shoulder-to-shoulder crowds a lot, and a kid would get very claustrophobic among all those legs. Maybe you could carry him on your shoulders instead? I thought 3 was a little old for strollers, anyway?

A stroller is perfect for the fair and you can use it for the stuff when your 3 year old wants to walk. Perfect for a nap when needed.
We tried a wagon one year but I didn't like it because it was harder to watch my son and pull at the same time. Much better to have them in front of you.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:23 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,854,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Last year my daughter was 4 & we definitely took the stroller. I wish I had one of those Sit N Stand stroller's this year. She's 5, but there is a *ton* of walking to do, but my 8 month old claims the stroller these days. I think she's old enough to deal, but we'll see how it goes. If she gets tired we'll just have to find somewhere to sit down.

I usually have my husband take a half day off of work so we can avoid the crowds and go during the day on a week day. We have always driven to the fair and parked in a lot adjacent to the fairgrounds. We've never paid more than $10 for parking. Parking has always been plentiful and convenient.

I highly recommend you purchase your tickets online.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:40 PM

281 posts, read 359,222 times
We can spend an entire day there and not ride one ride. There are crafts, cows, chickens, food, sheep, pigs, antique tractors, logging demonstrations, old-time-church singing, art, dancing demonstrations, educational exhibits (our toddler loves picking crops, selling them, and buying groceries), and NC State ice cream!!

I have a photo entered and my husband will be entering his amazing scones in a couple days. A few years ago I won second place for a wreath. I'm already looking forward to entering something next year!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:44 AM

930 posts, read 1,739,679 times
CVAlicia - I have a photo entered in the fair this year too. Good luck!

When I was child and a teen it was always about the rides for me. My Mom would drag me through the exhibits and we'd see the animals. We'd make our way to the mill and get our hushpuppy. Now that's all I go for. There's much more to the fair than the midway. We took our kids last year, they were 2 and 3. I took 1 stroller and had no problems. We walked to the Village of Yesteryear and took the little trolley back to our gate. I can't wait for the fair!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:16 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,978,539 times
Don't forget the horse shows going on every day with different breeds of horses scheduled throughout the Fair.... Arabian, Morgan, Saddlebred, Hackney, carriage driving, mules, draft horses, Paints, Appaloosas, Quarter Horses, etc. There is a Youth Day, too. The schedule is on the Fair's web site. Lots of vendors, too, inside the arena with all kinds of horsey items.

The horse shows are at the Gov. James B Hunt Horse Show Complex off Trinity Road across from Carter-Finley Stadium. It's adjacent to, but not on, the main fairgrounds site. Your fair ticket/hand stamp will get you in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary