Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:43 PM

770 posts, read 2,753,866 times

Advertisements

My wife had applied for a federally funded position with a State Agency and was slated for an interview in the next few days. Today she received a call to inform her that a job freeze was in place but that she would be interviewed when the freeze was lifted.

Is there any way of telling how long such a moratorium lasts? What have been the experiences in the past?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:46 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
you probably will have to wait til a new state budget is made; Im not sure when that is.

Old 10-16-2008, 04:52 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
My wife had applied for a federally funded position with a State Agency and was slated for an interview in the next few days. Today she received a call to inform her that a job freeze was in place but that she would be interviewed when the freeze was lifted.

Is there any way of telling how long such a moratorium lasts? What have been the experiences in the past?

TIA
That is odd. While it is true that there is a state government hiring freeze, I was informed that it did not affect federally funded positions since the funds for those positions do not come from the state budget. I was alosunder the impression that postitions already posted before the freeze went in place could be filled.

Either way, I hope the freeze is lifted soon.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
That is odd. While it is true that there is a state government hiring freeze, I was informed that it did not affect federally funded positions since the funds for those positions do not come from the state budget. I was alosunder the impression that postitions already posted before the freeze went in place could be filled.

Either way, I hope the freeze is lifted soon.
I am on the federal end of things, and I know that our agency is currently under a hiring freeze as well. The federal government just entered into fiscal year 2009 and we are under a continuing resolution until at least March (yeah, I know, half the FY is gone by then). That means that we can only spend at a certain level in relation to our budget from fiscal year 2008, which translates into the agency being "poor" until we get a 2009 budget - not much hiring of new positions (none at all at the moment), very little work-related travel (which is a huge problem for my agency since we travel all over the state), and we can only purchase supplies that we are in dire need of.

I'm guessing that this is trickling down to the state positions that are funded by the feds as well.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:26 PM

120 posts, read 498,374 times
I had an interview scheduled for UNC..same deal- hiring freeze =/

Old 10-16-2008, 07:31 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,355 times
This makes me quite uneasy.. I interviewed for a State position a while back and was told I had been selected from the interview pool. However 7 weeks have passed and no official offer from Raleigh. I guess it is safe to assume this freeze is affecting that. Good to know. I had been told that the HR department was just slow and backed up.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
FWIW, the state is always going into a hiring freeze, almost yearly, it seems. I do know that revenues are down and they are polling us (state employees) for "cost-saving tips", so I wouldn't be looking for the freeze to go off any time soon. Thank goodness I switched jobs just recently and got in under the wire!

Old 10-16-2008, 09:49 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,920,086 times
This is a huge local and federal issue, although we are more secure here at the present moment then most places. 30-32 states are expected to need bailouts over the next 9-12 months!

The reason for all the freezes, both federally and at the state levels is due to the current economic situation. Have you all taken a look at Municiple bonds funds lately? For the first time, in modern times, they are crashing. My bond fund, that only invests in insured AAA rated muni bonds is at a 27 year low, or the lowest point since its inception. Unprecedented!

We have so many businesses on the verge of bankruptcy that state and federal agencies know the tax base is about to decrease dramatically. . The tax base is decreasing by the minute and further imposed taxes would just decrease it even further.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-16-2008 at 10:11 PM.. Reason: not here

Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 AM

65 posts, read 174,606 times
Mmmm......does anyone know what date the freeze started? Or have any more information?

Old 10-17-2008, 04:52 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
The reason for all the freezes, both federally and at the state levels is due to the current economic situation. Have you all taken a look at Municiple bonds funds lately? For the first time, in modern times, they are crashing. My bond fund, that only invests in insured AAA rated muni bonds is at a 27 year low, or the lowest point since its inception. Unprecedented!
Not necessarily so for the federal level. I have been working for the federal government for six years, and every year at the beginning of the new fiscal year we have had a continuing resolution for months until a new federal budget has passed. The current economic conditions may dictate that the budget is smaller than usual once it is passed, but it is not the reason we currently do not have a budget with which to work.

As far as when the "freeze" started for the feds, that would be 01 October 2008, the first day of fiscal year 2009. You can probably count on it again next 1 October as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary