Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 10:56 AM

445 posts, read 1,858,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
And speaking of pretentious, how can it be worse here than Atlanta?? They've been perfecting "snooty" there for centuries.
I have to agree. Raleigh certainly isn't worse than North Fulton County or Cobb County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 11:13 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
This thread has given plenty of regular posters a soapbox to trot out their "standard" negative posts.

Here's a different take on things-

Dear Cyberguy-
You come asking for advice, and at the same time you make some very broad generalizations about the area-all negative, all pretty inaccurate (at least in my opinion), and all based on a single visit to a few of the MANY towns in the Triangle. It seems as if your mind is already made up. If you are going to take a job here it would serve you well to approach living here with a clear and open mind about it.

There are plenty here who can offer excellent advice.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:19 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I suggest we re title this thread: How to NOT make friends and NOT influence people!

OP...it is never polite to tell people that live in an area that you do not like their area nor do you care for the BS.

Perhaps if you start out by saying that you have checked out the area and didn't find what YOU were looking for and then explain what you ARE looking for, Folks could then give you their suggestions of an area that you may find more to your liking.

I find that, in life, if you lose the attitude, folks are more likely to want to help you!

Vicki

Old 10-18-2008, 11:31 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,722,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy View Post
The areas we visited in Raliegh seemed this way and to cater to people who were somewhat stuck up and full of themselves. Alsoi keeping up with the jonses seemed to be big there as well..like I said, pretentious.
I think you must have confused DT Raleigh with Cary, Wake Forest and Chapel Hill b/c those places do cater to people who are stuck up and full of themselves.

You say you're looking for a home in the 225k range. You can find that on the fringes of Durham County and Wake County but the housing in this area isn't as affordable as housing in ATL. Someone made a suggestion earlier that you possibly look in Mebane which is next door to Durham County. You can prolly find a 225k home there. You can prolly find some 225k homes in Durham as well but they maybe small and in an undesirable area. You hear about the crime in Durham but its better here than you may think that it is. I like it. If you don't want the pretentiousness you should checkout Durham, especially SW Durham or North Durham, but you'll be hard pressed to find 225k homes in those two sections of Durham.

Last edited by he's so hott; 10-18-2008 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-18-2008, 11:59 AM

945 posts, read 1,971,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I think you must have confused DT Raleigh with Cary, Wake Forest and Chapel Hill b/c those places do cater to people who are stuck up and full of themselves.

If you don't want the pretentiousness you should checkout Durham, especially SW Durham or North Durham

The problem choosing Durham is they cater to the closed minded, I don't care about what you like, I'm only concerned about me and you must assimilate to our way, types.

It sounds like the OP needs to spend some time here first, so he can make up his own mind.

Old 10-18-2008, 12:38 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Default Brentwood in Raleigh

We're not the least bit pretentious in the Brentwood subdivision of Raleigh. Really, we're not.

Google "beautiful Brentwood" and then look at the "Discover Brentwood" slide show. Vintage 1960's homes. No pretentiousness whatsoever.

You can buy a house and have money left over to travel to unpretentious vacation spots worldwide.

(I had never heard "Knightdale" described as pretentious. Hmm.)

Old 10-18-2008, 02:30 PM

14 posts, read 34,043 times
I didnt mean to paint Raleigh with such a big brush, but that is the vibe I got when I was there with all the rules about, no billboards, no expanding to look like a big city even though you have the population, no neon signs, no this or that to make it look remotely "un-pretty". I like living in a well kept area just as much as the next person, but lets be realistic here. Our realtor that we were with had a pretentious attitude, I have a few friends from Raleigh that say the people there have this attitude, and I have seen posts from other people from Raliegh on these boards that display this attitude, again these are few of many many people, but that is the vibe I had when I was there. I grew up in Naples Florida, the kind of place where if people have money, they are automatically better than you and look down on you. Naples also wanted to keep a small town atmosphere even though it has become overly crowded and has turned into a major city, they refused to accomodate the growth since it wouldn't look "pretty" anymore. I live in Lawrenceville Ga, about 45 minutes outside of Atlanta and there is not a lot of snobby attitudes in this area that I live in, granted the closer you get to Atlanta the more there is. It is something I kind of want to get away from to be around down to earth people. I have been doing research on Clayton and Holly Springs and they seem like pretty good areas that are outside of Raleigh. I dont mind a commute as I will be traveling to several stores all around and outside the Raleigh area. I am basically looking for a safe place, with good schools, decent shopping and restaraunts with affordable housing (225k).I am moving up there for an incredible job, and again in this market, you go where the work is. I will try to look at Raleigh with fresh eyes when I re-locate there and try to explore all the areas of Raleigh to really get a true feeling for the area. Perhaps it was the realtor I was with that made me feel this way, or perhaps I judged it to quickly, but again, it was just the initial feeling I had when I was there. However, considering the personal attacks I have received for, heaven forbid, having an opinion about the area, does kind of prove my point about the people, dont you think?

Last edited by Cyberguy; 10-18-2008 at 02:46 PM..

Old 10-18-2008, 03:19 PM

415 posts, read 1,109,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy View Post
However, considering the personal attacks I have received for, heaven forbid, having an opinion about the area, does kind of prove my point about the people, dont you think?
Don't worry - we're not all like that! I am sure you will find what you're looking for here. As many have said, there is something for just about everyone.

Jenny_B

Old 10-18-2008, 05:30 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Is it a full moon today? I don't even know what the above comment is trying to say. Hiding commercial properties?
The Wakefield Commons is a prime example. No signs to tell you where it is.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM

1,967 posts, read 953,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
The Wakefield Commons is a prime example. No signs to tell you where it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Is it a full moon today? I don't even know what the above comment is trying to say. Hiding commercial properties?

Darn it! I thought he was talking about the Romulans and their sneaky cloaking device! Oh well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary