Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2008, 11:04 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,680,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneezecake View Post
And I said mine with humor too

I think Houston's is one of the best upscale chain restaurants out there, and would gladly take one of those here in lieu of a poor sole proprietership
I love Houston's, although I don't think our town is quite there to have one yet.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 11:54 AM

892 posts, read 3,154,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hula View Post
Do I have to be a "preferred guest member" to use this coupon?
Does not look like it. I just made a reservation and printed the coup...only to find that dh's boss was buying today....at M&S.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 2,477 times
Default What a waste of time and money

We love to eat good food and do so regularly. We tried the Crabtree location of Mccormick and Schmidt the other day and what an awful experience. The trout was stiff as a board and very, very fishy tasting. Yeah, I know, it is fish :-). The seafood platter I had was way over cooked, and really unflavorful. The fried jumbo shrimp were not fried, but deep fried. They were very greasy, odd flavored and subpar compared to a place like Kemp's. The bread was cold as were my sons french fries. The calamari appetiser was chewy, only warm and the bragged about dipping sauces were very plain. The final straw was that my son's vanilla ice cream had ice chips in it. That is ridiculous.

If you want good seafood, then head to BoneFish. This is the one and only time I'll visit this place. Judging by the lack of other diners, I think the word is out that they are going by reputation only. I chatted with two others that have visited the Crabtree location and both had similar, sub-par meals.

I do agree the chocolate bag was great, but having to wait until the last item of your meal to enjoy something is ludicrous. I have not eaten at any of the other restaurants in this chain and do not intend to try them. It is a shame because Cheesecake Factory is right next door and I've always had a good meal there.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:36 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,039,687 times
Default reply

I went and was not very impressed either. The seafood was underwhelming. And I just cannot get real fired up to eat in a mall parking lot. I would not have tried this place at all but a customer gave me a gift certificate.

Old 07-01-2009, 06:37 PM

2,187 posts, read 7,982,093 times
We went to the one in Charlotte and it was awful. Not only was the food ho hum but the service was some of the worst I have ever experienced.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,191,964 times
I was also underwhelmed and think this is a classic example of a place getting more credit than it deserves on rep. Amazingly, this once isn't owned by Peter Fleming Besides, I hate places that are pretentious and overpriced even when the food is great.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:42 PM

2,275 posts, read 6,293,196 times
I don't know which restaurant you people went to, but we went to M&S tonight, and our experience couldn't be more different. The food was excellent, service was perfect, and it wasn't in the least bit pretentious. (Believe me, we would hate that.) I didn't feel it was overpriced, either. I had the mixed grill (filet mignon, wild Alaskan salmon, and grilled shrimp). It came with dessert (the best creme brulee I've ever had, and I've had a lot of them). Total cost of my dinner was $29.95, which is not out of line with other restaurants, including 42nd Street. This was probably the highest priced item on the menu, with the possible exception of lobster, and I don't know how much that was.

As I said, the service was perfect. Our glasses were refilled promptly, but not too often. Our plates were cleared promptly (and all at once, which is the proper way to do it - not as each person finishes). We never felt rushed, nor were we kept waiting for anything, and our waiter was extremely pleasant without being annoying.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 PM

6 posts, read 11,641 times
I've met friends there for cocktails from time to time and they have some good appetizers. A little expensive I think but food is good. I still prefer Bone Fish. The last time I met someone for drinks at the restaurant just beside McK & Sch and that restaurant, I can't remember the name, had the best crabcakes that I have ever eaten in my life!

Old 07-02-2009, 06:41 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,490,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slll View Post
I've met friends there for cocktails from time to time and they have some good appetizers. A little expensive I think but food is good. I still prefer Bone Fish. The last time I met someone for drinks at the restaurant just beside McK & Sch and that restaurant, I can't remember the name, had the best crabcakes that I have ever eaten in my life!
Flemmings is next to it (which I don't think is as good as Ruths Chris), and won't go back to

Then Brio is next to Flemmings

Old 07-02-2009, 08:04 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,733,549 times
Oh NO!!! I'm so sad to read the bad reviews of Mck & Sch!! I haven't been to the NC one yet. I've only eatten at the original one in Downtown Portland & Jake's. Both of those are so worth it if you are ever in Ptown.

But I know that once a resturant goes IPO, the chains don't always carry over, which is a shame. I just can't imagine Bone Fish being better than a Mck & Sch. That's just plain scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary