U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:42 AM

30 posts, read 58,824 times
Question DirectTV or Time Warner Cable

Ok....we close on our house next week and need to know what y'all think of Time Warner Cable and DirectTV.....not sure which to go with....We live in Alabama now and have TWC and have had no problems...but not sure if the same is true in NC????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 12:07 PM

465 posts, read 988,073 times
Depends what you're into, I guess. For sports and Bravo - gotta go DirecTV.

Old 10-22-2008, 12:53 PM

207 posts, read 748,828 times
DIRECTV has many more high definition channels than Time Warner Cable and this was ultimately the main reason I left. I simply don't watch much programming that isn't HD anymore (only one of my four tv's isn't an HDTV) and it was so frustrating being with TWC because they're adding HD programming at a snail's pace. Additionally I wanted NFL Sunday Ticket/Superfan and TWC doesn't offer this. I didn't have major problems with my cable service but I did have big problems with TWC's HD-DVR receivers. They were so buggy (freezing up when I'd move the box to dust or if the dogs ran by, etc...) and I got tired of having to constantly reboot them. I now use TWC for high speed internet only. DTV's HD-DVR receivers are much better (no freezing up or rebooting). Rain fade hasn't been an issue, it has to be pouring down rain for the signal to drop (most storms/rain aren't intense enough to disrupt the signal) and it is only out for a couple minutes (until the rain passes or lightens).

The only con to getting DTV is you must have a clear view of the southern sky (the dish faces this way to pick up the signal from the satellite). If you live in a neighborhood with a lot of tall trees or other objects that block this view then satellite might not work for you.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:20 PM

449 posts, read 989,798 times
I'll make this easy and to the point.

Get DirectTV. If that's a problem for you get a library card and read a lot of books. Time Warner is that bad. Just.Don't.Do.It.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:53 PM

2,392 posts, read 3,104,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliecat6571 View Post
Ok....we close on our house next week and need to know what y'all think of Time Warner Cable and DirectTV.....not sure which to go with....We live in Alabama now and have TWC and have had no problems...but not sure if the same is true in NC????
I've had TWC and Directv and I still have Directv but not TWC. That's my answer. Plus, I'm into HD and right Directv and Dish are the leaders of pack when it comes to that.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:17 PM

161 posts, read 278,774 times
Unfortunately, the quality of Directv and Dish Network HD service is of rather poor quality, due to the high compression of the signal. Most people would say TW HD is sharper and more stable. TW provides good service in the Triangle.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:43 PM

945 posts, read 1,218,352 times
If you want uninterrupted, top quality service, pick TWC. If you like outages every time there is a dark cloud, pick DirecTV.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:00 PM

3,401 posts, read 5,868,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
If you want uninterrupted, top quality service, pick TWC. If you like outages every time there is a dark cloud, pick DirecTV.
Exaggerate much?

Sure, Directv will go out briefly during heavy (HEAVY) downpours - but for me it's well worth the occasional outtage to have much better picture quality. I also really enjoy Bravo, which TWC does not carry. In my opinion, both are overpriced once your initial "new customer" discount expires. Thankfully I can still get Directv at my current house despite having lots of trees - I would have really hated to have to go back to TWC.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moedog2 View Post
Unfortunately, the quality of Directv and Dish Network HD service is of rather poor quality, due to the high compression of the signal. Most people would say TW HD is sharper and more stable. TW provides good service in the Triangle.
Uh, no it's not. Try MPEG4 which reduces the compression needed. Directv & Dish Network use MPEG4 compression technology. I've seen TWC HD and most people wouldn't see any difference in the quality between the service providers. Plus with HD you either get it or you don't, so stability is not an issue with HD on any system be it TWC, Comcast, Directv, Dish or Verizon Fios.

If you're going to give out info tell the truth.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Exaggerate alot? Once again, if you're going to provide info tell the truth. Directv does not go out every time a dark cloud is above. C'mon now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary