Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM

521 posts, read 1,598,225 times

Advertisements

I have neither fear nor intention of replacing my midwestern accent with a Carolina accent, but I have instructed my wife to smack me over the head with a large tuna if I start drawling like a local.

No offense intended to the locals, of course. Mimicry just isn't something that comes naturally to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 12:14 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
I have neither fear nor intention of replacing my midwestern accent with a Carolina accent, but I have instructed my wife to smack me over the head with a large tuna if I start drawling like a local.

No offense intended to the locals, of course. Mimicry just isn't something that comes naturally to me.
My DH is from St. Louis. I love his speech! I don't want him to lose a bit of his regional accent (even to - it is probably considered "no accent" - that lovely straight forward Midwest speech). He sounds ridiculous when he tries to say something w/ a Southern accent, LOL!!!!

I say - accents are fascinating and little markers that show where we have been . . .

Old 10-24-2008, 05:24 PM

114 posts, read 207,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
First of all, "all y'all" is not a ubiquitous southernism. Where I grew up in SC, a person was referred to in the singular as "you." People were referred to in the plural as "y'all," which is a legitimate contraction of "you all." So once again, we have a sweeping generalization based on regional or class differences you personally experienced.

Not to legitimize people mocking other people, but have you ever heard the old saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans"?? If you move to an area with a distinct set of vocabulary, you would be well served to simply ADAPT to it. Once you realize everyone around you says "soda," why don't you just try saying "soda"? If I go to England, and I want a cookie, I figure out to ask for a biscuit. It's not that hard.

Agreed. Which is why I actually find the title of this thread to be offensive.
I am a native. I thought it was offensive that someone was worried they might end up sounding like me.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:13 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
I have to tell y'all and yoose guys .... you ALL have accents. Westerners (not MIDwesterners) but WESTerners are the only ones without them.

BTW, I'm completely like joking.... totally, dude. (I guess that is more to do with form of English than accent though). :

However, I had a friend who taught English in South Korea and Japan. The company she worked for only recruited in the Western US States since this was the area that they found to be "most accent free".

Old 10-25-2008, 12:34 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
However, I had a friend who taught English in South Korea and Japan. The company she worked for only recruited in the Western US States since this was the area that they found to be "most accent free".
Yeah, we're sort of like plain vanilla when it comes to this nation's accents (with exception to the valley).

Old 10-25-2008, 04:12 AM

847 posts, read 3,521,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
My DH is from St. Louis. I love his speech! I don't want him to lose a bit of his regional accent (even to - it is probably considered "no accent" - that lovely straight forward Midwest speech). He sounds ridiculous when he tries to say something w/ a Southern accent, LOL!!!!

I say - accents are fascinating and little markers that show where we have been . . .
I have frequent... um, "discussions" ... with people from St. Louis about whether or not they have accents. Get them to say "hockey" and tell me that's not an accent!

Old 10-25-2008, 04:44 AM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
I just watch a steady dose of the Sopranos to keep me regular.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:39 AM

259 posts, read 1,041,582 times
When I call my friends in CA they tell me I'm starting to sound like I've lived in the south for quite a while. I didn't even realize I was talking like this. I've only been here for a few months. I love listening to people with a southern accent.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:48 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Not to legitimize people mocking other people, but have you ever heard the old saying, "When in Rome, do as the Romans"?? If you move to an area with a distinct set of vocabulary, you would be well served to simply ADAPT to it. Once you realize everyone around you says "soda," why don't you just try saying "soda"? If I go to England, and I want a cookie, I figure out to ask for a biscuit. It's not that hard.
This is true when it comes to terminology. And it makes a lot of sense when it comes to efficiency, too. If for some reason, a particular region were to call sliced pickles 'slickles' and that's what was common place, as odd as it sounds, if people were already accustomed to it, then I would never take issue with it. Rather, embrace it. Now, going back to my old west coast haunts, as much as I would enjoy introducing new terminology, I think I would reference back to sliced pickles.

I love this nation's dialects. However, accents are only part of what makes a dialect since it also includes grammar, vocabulary and syntax. One can get the accent down, but without the other aspects of dialect, the phony ones are easy to pick out.

Though, personally, I wouldn't find it offensive if someone didn't want to 'sound' like me as long as they constructively knew why they did not like the sound I was emitting (assuming sound includes both the dialect and the actual sound of my voice since there are some people in the south I would not ever want to sound like, but I like their dialects).

Old 10-25-2008, 05:32 PM

677 posts, read 1,902,760 times
AX SEEANT? WHAT AX SEEANT ? I've live in NC all my life and just because I say accent with 3 syllables doesn't make me sound like I have an AX SEEANT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary