Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 PM

41 posts, read 316,604 times

Advertisements

We have the option to add a basement to our new home. Some homes in the neighbourhood have the option, some don't. They are charging 40-50K extra for the basement option. Is this worth it? It seems sort of steep to me, but wondering about resale, if that is something some people may be interested in? I don't think we will need the extra space ourselves, as the home is large as it is....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 09:04 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times
Default I had one

Quote:
Originally Posted by moesgirl View Post
We have the option to add a basement to our new home. Some homes in the neighbourhood have the option, some don't. They are charging 40-50K extra for the basement option. Is this worth it? It seems sort of steep to me, but wondering about resale, if that is something some people may be interested in? I don't think we will need the extra space ourselves, as the home is large as it is....
Well they are great to have (only with proper waterproofing which is often only given a "standard" subpar treatment), lots of storage, great place to put things that need a space like fitness equipment, workshop, ect.

OK, for the price,I think that is so out of range that you should laught it. If you pay that much you will never get your money back in equity. Most homes here dont have one because the money can be better spent.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:41 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I sold a Pulte home in Long Lake, when they first opened, and the extra charge for the full unfinished basement was $29,000 PLUS there was a lot premium of thousands (I don't remember exactlyhow much...this was about 6 years ago).

The Long Lake homes are in a great area of North Raleigh, Leesville Road Schools, so those people get back every penny they spent for those basemenmts.

Another one of those..."it depends" questions.

Another reason why you should have a Realtor assisting you!!!

Vicki

Old 02-17-2007, 09:44 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
I like my basement....but it isn't worth that much.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:07 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,752,811 times
Quote:
40-50K extra for the basement option.
That is about how much it cost here in Portland to convert an unfinished basement to finished in an old house (1920s ish). (Approx 1000 sq feet of basement.) As far as is it personally worth it in NC, I think it depends on the square footage of the basement and how much livable area it adds to your house. We will miss our finished basement once we move.

Old 02-17-2007, 10:26 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,081,952 times
How big is your house and how big will the basement be? How much does your house cost? Maybe you are buying a mansion and $50k is peanuts for a basement that will double your total square footage

Old 02-18-2007, 07:18 AM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
I was told by my boss when I moved here, "don't ever buy a house with a basement here"....TOO WET!!! He's got a lot of investment property, and wouldn't bother looking at it if it had a basement!!

Old 02-18-2007, 10:57 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,323 times
Default To Wet?

You see, thats where i get real confused! Up north NY & NJ most homes had basements, and it snowed & rained every year. But the basements were there and did fine, our's never flooded.

So when you say " TOO Wet " do you mean the rain in NC is a problem with basements?

Or is it the soil?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetegnc View Post
I was told by my boss when I moved here, "don't ever buy a house with a basement here"....TOO WET!!! He's got a lot of investment property, and wouldn't bother looking at it if it had a basement!!

Old 02-18-2007, 01:47 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,665 times
Default wet!

Being from Illinois myself....

I think what it is is that a large part of NC is a swampland, especially in the eastern half. Okay, part is swampland, part is just doesn't hold water well. And, you can't get much more humid than NC in the summertime!

Anyone else that knows more than I can add to it!!

Old 02-18-2007, 01:49 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
You see, thats where i get real confused! Up north NY & NJ most homes had basements, and it snowed & rained every year. But the basements were there and did fine, our's never flooded.

So when you say " TOO Wet " do you mean the rain in NC is a problem with basements?

Or is it the soil?

Thanks
Partially the soil...it doesn't drain fast. Also it's mostly red clay here, which is harder to dig deep in. (And don't get me started on erosion and sediment issues.)
If you're building a new home, whether or not you get a basement, I highly recommend you work with the construction people to do whatever they can to save as much of the topsoil as humanly possible!! Otherwise, you're gonna have rivers of red mud everytime there's a storm...and you'll never get anything to grow on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary