Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 11:53 PM

959 posts, read 4,493,165 times

Advertisements

Hi all I've been mostly lurking for a few wks. My husband is in the process of job hunting in RTP (we're in Northern VA). We are thinking we'll prob house hunt in Morrisville/Cary/Apex for the schools, but commute time is a big concern for us. We have four small children and I like maximizing the time my husband can be home So that said, South Durham looks appealing since it's right next to RTP and has some newish and new developments at better prices than the Cary area. But I've looked up school stats and the math scores are discouraging. How bad are South Durham schools really
TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2007, 06:53 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigoblue View Post
Hi all I've been mostly lurking for a few wks. My husband is in the process of job hunting in RTP (we're in Northern VA). We are thinking we'll prob house hunt in Morrisville/Cary/Apex for the schools, but commute time is a big concern for us. We have four small children and I like maximizing the time my husband can be home So that said, South Durham looks appealing since it's right next to RTP and has some newish and new developments at better prices than the Cary area. But I've looked up school stats and the math scores are discouraging. How bad are South Durham schools really
TIA
You have to be careful with test scores. Durham County has a much higher socioeconomic diversity level than Wake (which for many of us here is a *good* thing and a reason we choose to live here!)

For instance, white students (who tend to be from a wealthier SES background, which is highly correlated with good test performance) "score" at almost identical (good) levels in Durham and Wake. African-American students (who similarly tend on average to have more disadvantaged background) score much lower than whites on these tests in both Wake and Durham (and again, the scores here are similar between the two counties.)

The difference really is that there is a significantly higher percentage of black students in Durham schools because of Durham's greater diversity. However, you shouldn't expect your children to get a "bad" education just because the non-weighted average scores are lower in Durham schools. If you look at my past posts on city-data, I've included school stats broken down by ethnicity to show the balance.

This is not to say that the Wake and Chapel Hill-Carrboro schools aren't terrific or to take anything away from them. But, you shouldn't worry your children would get a bad education based on "average" test scores.

In terms of *individual* elementary schools in southern Durham -- I know only a bit about a few schools, but let me share what I know. I've heard very good things about Pearsontown, Creekside, Southwest and Hope Valley Elementaries. W.G. Pearson just moved to a brand new facility and has a systemwide academically/intellectually gifted magnet program. Note: magnet programs are very broad and popular in Durham and are worth checking out.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:13 AM

13 posts, read 88,164 times
Here's a copy of the 2006 Durham Schools in comparison to other counties in the area. Bull City Rising is correct, it does show the balance.

2006school_scores.pdf

Old 02-18-2007, 12:52 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
^That's some very interesting info there. I find it deliciously ironic that SAT scores for white students in Durham is higher than for Wake...AND that their school crime numbers are way less than Wake...which really should make all those Durham-haters out there put their foot in their mouth!

Old 02-18-2007, 03:51 PM

5 posts, read 25,011 times
I know times have changed some since I was in school, but I went to Pearsontown Elementary, Githens JR High and Jordan High School. At the time the Gtihens and Jordan were considered by many to be the best public junior high and high school in Durham respectively. It was very diverse even then, about 50% white, 50% black. I got a well-rounded experience and a quality education. Most of the students who graduated from Jordan went on to peruse a 4 year college education.

Off to read the article above...

Old 03-31-2007, 09:47 AM

1,489 posts, read 5,693,941 times
Some other statistics to look would be the number of classes taught by "Highly Qualified Teachers". I think too many people are looking just at test scores which doesn't paint an accurate picture of the level of education you are getting. My brother-in-law actually asked us to pull him out of Smith Middle School in Chapel Hill and send him back to Neal Middle School in Durham b/c of some of the problems he was having with the kids in Chapel Hill.

For those of you who don't know, Smith is considered to be one of the best Middle Schools in the area, and Neal one of the worst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary