U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:21 PM

516 posts, read 1,217,259 times

Advertisements

So I was in the area a couple weeks ago to get everything together so we could move. On the way back to the airport, I decided to stop at Barnes & Noble to get a book, so I stopped at Brier Creek.

I hated it.

I felt like I was back in California, at a mall during the Christmas rush. The traffic was insane, and the people didn't pay any attention to anything going on around them (I had more near-misses in that parking lot than in my last month of driving in CA). It was VERY different than my experience anywhere else in the area. I'm trying to get away from this sort of mess!

Maybe I went on a bad day, but that was my experience. Am I alone in this, or has anyone else felt the same thing there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 01:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 10,407,681 times
Bier Creek...is not a mall. That's just a shopping center. The mall you'd shop at in that area is probably Crabtree or Triangle Towne Center..possibly Southpointe. Commercial shopping areas are always full of people just trying to get what they need and ignoring a lot of people around them; no matter what city it is in. If you think you can escape busy-body people who don't pay attention to everyone around them by moving to NC or anywhere else; you'll most likely be dissapointed.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM

181 posts, read 329,433 times
Agreed... it's not a mall.

And yes, it is frequently busy during lunch hour & weekends, as people rush around crazed & rushed, looking for food, not knowing where they are going, etc. It is sort of annoying, but one learns to adjust. I try not to venture out for errands during busy times.

It's a neighborhood shopping center, not necessarily set up with consideration for the crowds of RTPers who flock there for lunch.

Ha, just wait until the Christmas sleigh rides start! Yep, a fabulous concept... block off throughways in an already congested shopping center, at a crazy time of year, so the kiddos can ride through the strip mall parking lot. Joy to the world.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:45 PM

2,174 posts, read 4,622,884 times
Brier Creek can get busy, but there are also many times where it's not bad at all. I've seen shopping centers that were much more congested in Northern VA. There are big strip malls like this all throughout this country that get congested, so it's nothing unique to Raleigh.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:17 PM

2,476 posts, read 3,953,574 times
If you think Brier Creek is bad, you should see Crabtree at Christmas-time. It's totally nutso.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:48 PM

675 posts, read 1,191,302 times
That's just how it is around here in the "popular" areas. To us, the traffic and congestion was reason enough to avoid living in those areas. It's harder to enjoy your fancy popular neighborhood when you spend 2 hours a day in the car.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:17 PM

10,378 posts, read 17,768,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post
So I was in the area a couple weeks ago to get everything together so we could move. On the way back to the airport, I decided to stop at Barnes & Noble to get a book, so I stopped at Brier Creek.

I hated it.

I felt like I was back in California, at a mall during the Christmas rush. The traffic was insane, and the people didn't pay any attention to anything going on around them (I had more near-misses in that parking lot than in my last month of driving in CA). It was VERY different than my experience anywhere else in the area. I'm trying to get away from this sort of mess!

Maybe I went on a bad day, but that was my experience. Am I alone in this, or has anyone else felt the same thing there?
I am not impressed with the Brier Creek Shopping area due to the traffic. In my opinion, it is much worse than Crabtree Valley Mall at Christmas!

I met a client a few weeks ago, for lunch, at Brier Creek and had to drive around for 15 minutes looking for parking. Never again!

At least when you are getting into Crabtree, you just wait your turn. At Brier Creek, people do not wait their turn and part of that is that it is unclear as to whose turn it is!!!

Vicki

Old 10-27-2008, 04:32 PM

2,135 posts, read 5,174,363 times
Brier Creek is not my cup of tea. Too crowded and poor design. Beaver Creek Commons in Apex is more my speed. And that is only because I spend one minute on 55 after getting off 64. Otherwise I avoid 55 like the plague. I live in Cary so I don't go to Brier Creek that often anyway.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:57 PM

181 posts, read 329,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
That's just how it is around here in the "popular" areas. To us, the traffic and congestion was reason enough to avoid living in those areas. It's harder to enjoy your fancy popular neighborhood when you spend 2 hours a day in the car.
Ironically, Brier Creek & other areas like it are set up to minimize time in the car... because they are set up to be more pedestrian-friendly. Someone just seems to have forgotten to give residents that memo, LOL! People haven't quite caught onto this yet, but hopefully in time people will begin to see that driving everywhere is a choice.

Old 10-27-2008, 05:13 PM

820 posts, read 1,868,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony23 View Post

I hated it.

Ha, you must not have been to Crossroads in Cary yet... although it has gotten a little better with the new traffic patterns, but on the other hand the construction on Walnut is causing other problems.

I used to live in Brier Creek and the traffic at times was bad but I got used to it and the convenience outweighed the hassle. I agree with some of the other posters that Crabtree at Christmas time is no comparison at all. Way more shops and people so it's much worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary