U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 08:53 PM

945 posts, read 1,300,583 times

Advertisements

What is normally done here to prevent an outside faucet from freezing. Back home (MA) we would have a shutoff inside the house and then would drain the outside faucet. I don't see that option here. Is it not a concern?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 PM

22,003 posts, read 39,523,741 times
just put a little bucket on it and you will be fine

Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,618,538 times
Default reply

let it drip during deep freezes and otherwise do nothing. I do have shutoffs in our basement for our outside spickets. Maybe Joe the Plumber can help us. BTW- I know two plumbers that make close to 200k annually each. Many plumbers make more than their family doctor.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 PM

2,231 posts, read 4,066,550 times
The only thing you need to do to the outside spigots is disconnect the hose from them. I highly doubt you have a spigot that isn't freeze-proof. The stem of the spigot actually goes through the wall and closes the valve which shuts the water off on the inside of the wall.

Here's an example:

The handle turns the stem. Notice on the end of the stem is the bibb washer. The bibb washer contacts the faucet seat which shuts off the water. Now notice it's relation to the wall mount flange.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 PM

820 posts, read 1,867,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
The only thing you need to do to the outside spigots is disconnect the hose from them. I highly doubt you have a spigot that isn't freeze-proof. The stem of the spigot actually goes through the wall and closes the valve which shuts the water off on the inside of the wall.

Here's an example:

The handle turns the stem. Notice on the end of the stem is the bibb washer. The bibb washer contacts the faucet seat which shuts off the water. Now notice it's relation to the wall mount flange.
Ditto what he said, don't worry about draining, just disconnect the hose. Even though the faucets are "freeze-less" leaving the hose connected will cause them to burst.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:43 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,618,538 times
Default reply

i took it for granted to mention the hose. I learned the hard way years ago as a new homeowner to unscrew the sprinkler hose.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:00 PM

1,125 posts, read 3,012,918 times
you should have a shut-off valve inside the house, near the main water shut-off. I disconnect the hoses, put them in the garage and shut-off the water to the outside for the winter.

Old 10-29-2008, 10:02 PM

945 posts, read 1,300,583 times
Quote:

Here's an example:

Hey, thanks for the diagram. How will I be able to ensure that is the type I will have?

Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,949,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Hey, thanks for the diagram. How will I be able to ensure that is the type I will have?
What is the age of your house? If it is newer than 20 years, you almost assuredly have anti-freeze and anti-siphon valves built in.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 1,121 times
Quote:

Here's an example:

That is why when you turn your handle it takes a bit of time for the water to begin to flow. depending on the length of the stem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary