U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-24-2007, 07:11 AM

607 posts, read 1,646,928 times
Well the house we just bought in Raleigh, has a livingroom, and a bonus room. The "formal" dinningroom, is quite small, so I am thinking of putting my big desk in their and some nice chairs and making it a study/library?? Whadda think??? That would cut our eating area to just the kitchen dinnette area, but in the long run, I think I would use the library more, than a formal dinningroom. Our bonus room, is being turned into a "pub" I am going to decorate it like a geniune Irish pub, with a dart board, and a old dark bar, with comfy sitting areas to watch sports and stuff. I think that will be my favorite room.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 04:36 PM

413 posts, read 776,281 times
Hey Lizzardlips: I've sent you a PM!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,430 times
I have all three myself,

We use the family room for the family where we spend most of our time and we turned the living room in to a liberary / office. The bonus room I turned in to a spa room for my wife, but you can use that room for a number of different things.

Old 04-19-2009, 11:46 AM

1,246 posts, read 2,880,479 times
We have all three and have never owned so many sofas! We have a white slipcover sofa and two chairs in the living room -- we use that for reading and quiet activities and we like to just go in there and admire it as it's about the only room in the house that is nicely decorated! For the longest time it just contained boxes and then my hubby decided that he wanted people to see a nice room when they come into the house.

Our family room is next to the kitchen and contains two sofas and a fireplace. We use that room for sitting, reading, chatting and just generally hanging out. It doesn't have a TV in there.

Then upstairs we have the bonus room and that's where we have the TV and the recliner sofas and that's where the kids spend most of their time as their video games are up there.

I'd say the family room and the bonus room get used equally and the living room doesn't get used as much but it's a nice tranquil room to escape to once in a while.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:48 PM

4,847 posts, read 9,706,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roughredneck View Post
. . . . . we turned the living room in to a liberary.
Looks like that was probably a wise decision.

Old 04-19-2009, 01:52 PM

8,112 posts, read 11,118,108 times
My last house had all 3. For a good while, the family room and bonus room got good use, but we might as well have roped off the living room - we rarely went in there. Finally we decided to re-do the room. We got rid of everything in the room, and comletely refurnished and redocorated it. We turned it into a quiet, comfortable room, with big overstuffed furniture, soft fabrics, etc. It was a nice room for the adults to get away from the kids so we could read or talk, or even talk on the phone.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:24 PM

249 posts, read 417,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyguys View Post
We dont have a living room and can't say I miss it. Had one in my house up north. Now we have family room which is open to kitchen. This is where we spend our time watching tv, ect. Bonus room is basically "kids land'.....tv, computer, play station, etc. Nice having their "stuff" out of view and not where I like to relax. I found our living room in our old house was just a place to put stuff or as I like to say "where the in laws would sit at family functions"!!!!!
Can't agree more. Growing up, our living room was the biggest room in the house, yet was the least used. I was so happy to find a house here that does not have a living room. The first floor just has a family room, a dining room and a kitchen with a breakfast area. No wasted space at all!

Old 04-19-2009, 02:47 PM

438 posts, read 940,122 times
Our bonus room is used as a home office for the hubby when he is working from home, plus the boys play there a lot.
Our family room is the main living room, that is where we are most of the time, when we have guests or not.
We turned our formal living room into a library and a comfy chair.
We are putting up our house for sale in a couple of weeks, and will keep it the same so that prospective buyers can see how we use it.

D

Old 04-19-2009, 03:03 PM

13,970 posts, read 7,055,283 times
We have living room, keeping room, 2nd floor bonus room, 3rd floor bonus room.

Living Room: TV and fireplace...where we go to spend family time together.

Keeping room: Generally I use this room along with the husband and our adults guests will sit in here when we have company.

Bonus room: When we looked at the house it was set up as a bonus room. Our 2 older boys (8 and 9yrs) share it and we have now labled it the "bachelor pad". They have a couch and large TV in there along with their video game chairs. 2 desks built into the dormered windows for their homework and a huge closet. They really wanted to share a room when we moved here so this was the best arrangement for them.

3rd Floor bonus: Wasted space, dust collection. The kids don't like going up there to play because it's so far away from the action in the house. Now that we have outgrown the playroom aspect of life we don't really have a need for this space.

When we build we are looking for a large family room, keeping room, 5 bedrooms and a bonus on the 2nd floor as a kids/teen space. If we have a 3rd floor walk up I'd make sure to put a full bath up there as well and use it as a guest suite.

Old 04-19-2009, 03:42 PM

1,246 posts, read 2,880,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
My last house had all 3. For a good while, the family room and bonus room got good use, but we might as well have roped off the living room - we rarely went in there. Finally we decided to re-do the room. We got rid of everything in the room, and comletely refurnished and redocorated it. We turned it into a quiet, comfortable room, with big overstuffed furniture, soft fabrics, etc. It was a nice room for the adults to get away from the kids so we could read or talk, or even talk on the phone.

That's exactly what we did to our living room. When the rest of the house is out of control it's a nice retreat!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary