Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2007, 10:42 AM

82 posts, read 567,578 times

Advertisements

In-laws are looking at moving to Raleigh so we thought we would take a look too. My wife and I are in our early 30s and currently living in DC, in 100 yr old row house smack in the middle of town. We love the feel of living in a city..older homes with modern insides but historic facades, walking around, being close to work, eating out, using public transportation, etc. I think we are planning a trip to visit Raleigh in April. Any suggestions on where to look? Preferably homes (older/historic), no condos. Price range maximum $900K. Not afraid of renovations and or dilapidated properties in need of restoring. In DC a lot of the row houses have English Basements used a completely separate rental units. Are there places in Raleigh that incorporate a owners unit with a rental unit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 11:10 AM

250 posts, read 1,245,983 times
Raleigh is significantly less urban that DC. Some historic neighborhoods include Five Points, Oakwood, Hayes Barton, Country Club. I think you will find that the majority of homes in your price range are in the northwest section of Raleigh (within the beltline). I think you may be disappointed by the public transportation system here. However, a numberof the neighborhoods mentioned above have retail and restaurants closeby. Good luck!

Joyce

Old 02-20-2007, 02:28 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
You might consider being near Cameron Village, where you can walk to most of what you want. It's a great neighborhood, with a range of housing options, and "close to everything." Your $900K max buys a LOT of home in Raleigh.
But, yes, public transportation is less effective than you are used to.

Old 02-20-2007, 06:34 PM

1,531 posts, read 7,408,254 times
Cool Downtown Rocks

I think for your price range you can live virtually in any neighborhood in and around Raleigh's downtown that you'd want to.
Oakwood, Mordecai, Oakdale, Pilot Mill, Boylan Heights, Brooklyn, Glenwood South, Cameron Park, Oberlin, Cameron Village, Longview, Hayes Barton, University Park, Roanoke Park, Sunset Hills, Budleigh, Fuller Heights, Lakewood, Pullen....the list goes on.

For the really nice historic ones, I'd say start your search with Oakwood, Boylan and Cameron Park, then on to the others.

As others have said, Public Transport here isn't all that, but it is easy to find a good place in your price range within walking distance to just about everything there is to do here.

For more info about what our downtown is like check out downtownraleigh.org and downtownraleigh.com --you can find listings of most services in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary