Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:33 PM

14 posts, read 76,939 times

Advertisements

My husband and I (and 2 children, one is 2 years old and the other is 5 months old) are planning a trip down to Raleigh the end of March to check it out. From the online research I have done so far, I am already in love with the area. We have friends in Fuquay Varina and they love the area also. But, where do we really start??? What should I be looking for?? We are planning on spending a few days, check out some real estate etc. But I have no idea where to start so I am looking for people who have done it already or are in the process of moving that can give me some direction.

I was wondering if there are many Long Islanders on this website that have made the move or are planning to....Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 PM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times
We just went to contract on a home in Spencer's Gate which is in Youngsville just outside of Wake County a bit east of Wake Forest.

What would you like to know?

Forgot to mention, we are moving from LI also. We have a 20 month old and a baby due in four weeks.

Old 02-20-2007, 02:23 PM

Wow, you sound just like me, my daughter was 21 months old when my son was born!

I was just wondering how you did the whole thing, ie. once you decided to move, how did you go about finding jobs, finding a home? Did you have a home here you had to sell?? Do you already have jobs lined up?? I've been on Long Island pretty much my whole life and haven't a clue where to start. Do you have friends or family down there?? I'm a bit nervous to move somewhere where I don't have any family and only 2 friends live down there.

Thanks..

P.S. If you don't mind me asking, where abouts on Long Island are you??

Old 02-20-2007, 02:33 PM

324 posts, read 1,527,752 times
my husband is from long island too ...moved here to be by Duke Hospitals

andrewschick...i know where you are coming from...I moved to Florida from WI but not knowing anyone and without a job...i moved here from Tampa again without a job BUT have family that live in Charlotte & that area...

What I did with both moves is I visted beforehand and went to apartments, etc and I also found temporary agencies for jobs before I moved(then when I did move just looked in the paper & went around to places...)

Dont know how feasible that is for you but....hope this helps somewhat

Old 02-20-2007, 03:09 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,947,116 times
Thumbs up Long Island here...

Hi...I am from Long Island, born and raised there...I moved here in November 2006...I moved from Wading River to be exact...I took several trips down here before really making the decision...my last trip being only a few weeks before the big move...your question was "where do I start" I honestly did a ton of research online and planned what I was going to tackle on each trip. I started with Raleigh, toured the area, had a realtor show me some properties to get a feel for the area. I went to several shopping centers to see what that was like and to see actual people, didn't want to waste time sitting in a hotel room. I also rented a car at the airport and just drove, got lost, but had maps, did my own exploring. I had so much fun. My advice would be research and make a list of what you want to see, how to get there, etc...and also just explore, it's fun. My trips after I had an idea of where and what I wanted to see more specifically, towns, properties, etc...

I am really enjoying it here, I also feel this was the best move for me. I am renting an apartment initially, but in contract on a new construction home in Knightdale, which is east/north east of Raleigh. I am expected to close on June 26th...I am very excited...

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will help you and your family in any way.

Good Luck.

Old 02-20-2007, 03:22 PM

560 posts, read 2,848,734 times
We are renting in Patchogue. We made our first trip to Raleigh in August of 2006 and basically just drove around the area getting familiar with the different neighborhoods while making a like/dislike list. We then knew what areas we wanted to target and were able to decide whether or not Raleigh and North Carolina were for us or not. We then made a second trip down and met with a Realtor who introduced us to Franklin County as an area where we could get a bit more house and land for our money. In between that trip and the third trip we decided that Fuquay Varina was the place to be. We based this on what we could see on realtor.com and from what we could tell on our first and second trips down. So when we went again last month we spent the whole weekend in Fuquay Varina to find out that we could not get what we wanted there. We were looking for a 2000+ sq. ft. home on no less than 1/2 an acre and really wanted to go new if we could. This is not very easily found if at all in Wake County. So, we went home and thought about it and decided that Franklin County might be a good idea after all and started to investigate. The schools in Wake are better than in Franklin County but the ones in Franklin are just as good as LI schools, opinion only with some test scores to back it up, and there are far more amenities in Wake than in Franklin but since our children are a few years from school and we have always wanted to live in a rural area we decided to take the plunge in Franklin County. So we went back this month after watching 5-6 houses with our Realtor and bought a home in Spencer's Gate for $228k with just what we were looking for. We close at the end of April and hope to be in by the middle of May, I do not have a job lined up yet but hope to in time for our move in May and my wife will be a stay at home mom with a window treatment business developing slowly as well. I would suggest talking with a Realtor before coming down in March and spending at least one day with him/her. I used Scott Lerew with Coldwell Banker, he is a great guy and really knows his stuff. We have family in Raleigh and my Mom just bought in Louisburg which is a little bit north of us. Youngsville looks just like Sound Avenue out east on the way to the winiries and apple orchards, etc. We thought Wake County was a lot like LI except more affordable to say the least!! If you still have questions now or during the process please let me know.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:10 AM

330 posts, read 1,976,323 times
Default Long Islanders here!

Hey there! We are also originally from LI, currently living in Nevada but we are planning a move to Raleigh , hopefully after our trip in July!

Good Luck with the move!

Old 02-21-2007, 12:52 PM

Thank you all for the information. I am very excited to be going down to NC the end of March. We currently own a home in Ronkonkoma (or should I say, the bankk owns it - haha). I will continue my research and again I thank you for the information.

Old 02-21-2007, 03:00 PM

83 posts, read 352,292 times
Default Moving to the Raleigh area

Moving from to any new area is quite an adventure. The Raleigh area has several different communities that all have their different characteristics. Then add in the prices of homes, the resales and the school systems and you have a lot to look into.
Several people have advised you to drive around and see what you like in the different communities - great idea.
Once you have gotten an idea of the area, call a Realtor. Meet with the Realtor and ask all the questions you can think of that would help you to decide where you want to live.
Moving away from family is a big step. I think that you will find many people in our area in the same situation. I know I rely on my friends and neighbors to help me out. And I am available for them also. Good luck!

Old 02-21-2007, 03:52 PM

15 posts, read 59,809 times
Default Another Islander

I fall into the planning to move category! I'm in Farmingville and did my first trip to NC in February with my 14 month old daughter, luggage,stroller, carseat and confirmation #s. Nothing planned other than to explore the area and absorb as much as possible. One of my days down there they had a slight snowstorm. You will absolutely fall in love with the area. Very kid friendly! and relaxed atmosphere. Hated to leave. Getting ready to put the house up on the market here and heading down again in March for short term apartment and then buying my NC house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary