U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 01:18 PM

259 posts, read 612,519 times
Default Volunteering on Thanksgiving Day to help feed homeless

Is there a place that helps feed the less fortunate people on Thanksgiving Day? An acquaintance of mine would like to do this, and I may consider it depending on how long I would have to be on my feet. Since I did not have family members in CA to celebrate Thanksgiving I used to help feed the homeless at a place where they could come and have a hot meal. It's quite a gratifying experience and makes you realize how fortunate some of us are.

Please let me know if you are aware of such a place.

Thank you.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:21 PM

95 posts, read 236,549 times
im also willing to help if you find out info

Old 11-03-2008, 01:30 PM

415 posts, read 723,324 times
The Durham Rescue Mission

The Raleigh Rescue Mission

I believe both of these have Thanksgiving volunteer opportunities.

Jenny_B

Old 11-03-2008, 01:41 PM

8,719 posts, read 14,271,499 times
That is so nice of you guys to help out! I know that you are going through some tough times yourself.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:03 PM

528 posts, read 941,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Lover View Post
Is there a place that helps feed the less fortunate people on Thanksgiving Day? An acquaintance of mine would like to do this, and I may consider it depending on how long I would have to be on my feet. Since I did not have family members in CA to celebrate Thanksgiving I used to help feed the homeless at a place where they could come and have a hot meal. It's quite a gratifying experience and makes you realize how fortunate some of us are.

Please let me know if you are aware of such a place.

Thank you.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
What a great idea! I just wanted to add something that my family and I do for the Xmas holiday. Instead of the adults giving gifts to one another, we pool that money and give to a less fortunate family. I don't know where my mom finds the families (through some city service I think) but we sign up, and a family is "assigned" to us. We pool our money and buy gifts for the family. We get information on them such as how many people are in the family, their ages, sizes, what they're into, etc. We have been able to give them clothes, toys to the children, and even buy their holiday dinner for them. As adults we just feel as though we don't "need" gifts as much as others need a helping hand....although we do still buy for our own kids in the family.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:40 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,107,142 times
I think it's great you want to help but ... many shelters & soup kitchens don't usually need more volunteers on Thanksgiving and Christmas day. They often have to turn one-time volunteers away. (I found this out last year because, as part of the Missions Outreach team at my church, I had a bunch of congregants who wanted to be set up to work in some of these places. One place actually told us they sometimes have more one-time volunteers on holidays than they do guests.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:44 AM

1,518 posts, read 3,753,886 times
Call the Durham Rescue Mission I am sure they would love your call. I also know people that work and help out there.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:05 AM

7,362 posts, read 14,269,830 times
Hey, we've tried to volunteer for several organizations in the past and they have always told us that they have so many people want to volunteer on holidays that they don't need anyone. One thing they did tell us was that they desperately needed volunteers during other times of year.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:06 AM

114 posts, read 236,216 times
I have heard that the Golden Corral on Glenwood feeds homeless and low income on Thanksgiving plus they welcome volunteers. Call them to find out.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:28 AM

259 posts, read 612,519 times
jmsbj92, I will give Golden Corral a call today. Thanks for the information. The other places I contacted in Raleigh said they have all of the volunteers they need for Thanksgiving. I will however, be able to volunteer for the Christmas holiday, wrapping gifts, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary