U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:13 PM

494 posts, read 806,174 times

Advertisements

Hi all,We have a house that was completed in 2007,when we moved in we had an over the range microwave that was not vented to the outside.Our range is GAS(A kenmore elite dual fuel to be exact).I've since converted to an outside venting range hood,at a great expense due to the fact that I cook a lot!I have just discovered that the builder was supposed to vent a gas range to the outside as required by code.Is this true.??? I have spent over $300 just on the ductwork alone,and it seems my builder may have been required to do it in the first place.Is this required by code?Thanx.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 05:17 AM

753 posts, read 1,553,224 times
Not code. I have gas stove and no vent leading outside. House was just built. Inspected by builders guy and my own guy. I know several people with the same lay out.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:52 AM

542 posts, read 930,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
Not code. I have gas stove and no vent leading outside. House was just built. Inspected by builders guy and my own guy. I know several people with the same lay out.
Its never a good idea to have a recirculating exhaust fan, especially when you have a gas range. The affects of long term exposure to even low levels of CO are pretty well known. I would vent the range hood to the outside if you plan on ever using your gas range, or purchase a good carbon monoxide detector.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:31 PM

3,526 posts, read 5,949,251 times
I concur. It is not code, but IMO it should be. Many manufacturers require it though and their requirements supercede ALL residential code. Your only recourse would be to look through your manual to see if they require it.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:28 PM

2,231 posts, read 4,066,550 times
If the range is operating properly the byproducts of combustion will be next to nothing so there really isn't any reason to vent to the outside except that it's better for when you have a knucklehead cooking who burns the food.

Old 11-09-2008, 01:39 PM

542 posts, read 930,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
If the range is operating properly the byproducts of combustion will be next to nothing so there really isn't any reason to vent to the outside except that it's better for when you have a knucklehead cooking who burns the food.
That is far from the truth as I have given many presentations over the years for a local non-profit that has put a lot of time and money into researching this. On the low side a gas cook top will produce CO levels just above the OSHA 8-hour limit and on the high side gas cook tops can produce CO levels high enough to kill.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:05 PM

36 posts, read 97,847 times
In my opinion, all products of combustion should be completely exhausted to the outdoors... including cigarette smoke.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:46 PM

3,494 posts, read 6,541,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNC29 View Post
That is far from the truth as I have given many presentations over the years for a local non-profit that has put a lot of time and money into researching this. On the low side a gas cook top will produce CO levels just above the OSHA 8-hour limit and on the high side gas cook tops can produce CO levels high enough to kill.
So we shouldn't cook for 8 hours straight in our kitchens, then?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:58 PM

10 posts, read 43,291 times
I'm not living in the states yet but I would definately want it vented outside its not only about the gas what about all the steam when boiling potato and veg etc the house would become condensated and would eventually damage decor etc.

Same as bathroom's with showers

Old 11-10-2008, 02:05 PM
rfb

1,326 posts, read 3,242,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
So we shouldn't cook for 8 hours straight in our kitchens, then?
Not if you are going to hover over the rangetop breathing in as much of the fumes as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary