Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:13 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Yep, I have run into it other places. They are mostly states that have a large and vocal Christian population. My guess is that if you opened it up to a vote by the people you would find it would be a close call. Most of the states that do it also have sodomy and "living in sin" laws still on the books.
at least the Supreme Court has knocked those down. I doubt the Constitution protects our right to get drunk at 9am on Sundays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 06:04 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,163,684 times
Actually, those who wish to partake of spirits should be able to anticipate their needs.

Although ABC generates money for the states/counties, there's at least enough integrity left to deter impulse purchases of alcohol.

Trust me, I'm a Christian, but no prude.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:26 AM

447 posts, read 1,718,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
at least the Supreme Court has knocked those down. I doubt the Constitution protects our right to get drunk at 9am on Sundays.
I am originally from Iowa, when visiting last year I was shocked to see the neighborhood bars with quite a few drunks at 10am. Then I remembered I was back in blue collar land, the bars were full of guys getting off of third shift at John Deers. They go out drinking just like anyone else after work!

Old 11-10-2008, 05:15 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
I recently moved to SC after living all my life in NC. Imagine my surprise when I wasn't allowed to buy beer at Bi-Lo on Sunday afternoon. Wahhh!!! Actually, beer/wine can be purchased inside the city limits of Greenville on Sunday, but not in the rest of Greenville County. That may influence our house-hunting decison. No, I'm not an alcoholic.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:38 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,694 times
apparently you can't buy building materials (i.e. stuff you could do work with) on Sundays in SC either. go separation of church and state...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
So why don't you let your state and local legislators know of your displeasure? And better, let your local merchants know that you don't spend money with them on Sundays because of these ridiculous Blue Laws. That's how you really get things changed.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
So why don't you let your state and local legislators know of your displeasure? And better, let your local merchants know that you don't spend money with them on Sundays because of these ridiculous Blue Laws. That's how you really get things changed.

Doesn't bother me much. I have a nice loquor cabinet stocked up and I rarely fidn myself in need for a bottle on a Sunday. If I want beer or wine I just get it at the grocery store after 12pm.

I have bigger fish to fry than to worry about where I am getting my next drink!

Old 11-11-2008, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Wow, that would be some serious work for a drunk. I guess you could drink while writing the letters.

Why would you punish a merchant for a state law any way? Spirits are only sold at State run stores, beer and wine is sold, you just have to wait until the afternoon. I never liked government involved in business and vice versa, so I never like to support an effort where you would put a major corporation into the position into lobbying for "the people".

I do agree though, write letters and be vocal about things you want to change. Let them know why you need a LIT at 8am on Sunday morning!

Old 11-11-2008, 12:11 PM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
First of all, blue laws are not just about alcohol. There is a huge variety of very useful items that cannot be sold. And to NRG, I'm not saying that I have trouble planning ahead. I'm speaking generally about blue laws. I grew up in a place that still has very restrictive laws on the books. We're actually fairly progressive in NC in this regard, when compared to other southern states.

Secondly, you're not "punishing" a merchant; you're leveraging your consumer rights. Merchants know that they will generate more revenue if they sell this stuff on a Sunday. They know there are people who don't shop on Sunday because it's too restrictive. (Light bulbs? Yeah, light bulbs.) So if you give the merchant ammunition, they will go fire the gun at the lawmakers / regmakers. You don't even have to actually STOP shopping at the store. You can also communicate that you would shop MORE if they were able to sell booze/lightbulbs/construction materials/whatver it is you want. Let's face it -- citizens complaining about blue laws accomplishes nothing. Historically, when blue laws get changed, it is because merchants push for it.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
First of all, blue laws are not just about alcohol. There is a huge variety of very useful items that cannot be sold. And to NRG, I'm not saying that I have trouble planning ahead. I'm speaking generally about blue laws. I grew up in a place that still has very restrictive laws on the books. We're actually fairly progressive in NC in this regard, when compared to other southern states.

Secondly, you're not "punishing" a merchant; you're leveraging your consumer rights. Merchants know that they will generate more revenue if they sell this stuff on a Sunday. They know there are people who don't shop on Sunday because it's too restrictive. (Light bulbs? Yeah, light bulbs.) So if you give the merchant ammunition, they will go fire the gun at the lawmakers / regmakers. You don't even have to actually STOP shopping at the store. You can also communicate that you would shop MORE if they were able to sell booze/lightbulbs/construction materials/whatver it is you want. Let's face it -- citizens complaining about blue laws accomplishes nothing. Historically, when blue laws get changed, it is because merchants push for it.
Sorry I did misread your past post.

I still don't support a middleman in my fights with the government. It is just a personal thing. I don't want to give power to a corporation any more than I want to give it to the government, it is the Libertarian in me I am on your side though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary