Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 06:43 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times

Advertisements

I am planning to fly to NJ for Christmas this year and have started looking for flights out of RDU airport. It looked like fares had been dropping over the past few weeks, but I may have missed the bottom. A few weeks ago I found a non-stop roundtrip flight to Newark Airport for $143. I should have jumped on it then because now the rates are now about $181. I am hoping they will drop again soon.

Just thought I would see how other people are making out fare wise. If you have any tips on good websites to search for fares to NJ please feel free to share them. So far I have tried Continental Airlines Website, Travelocity, Expedia, and Priceline but they all have the same fares listed.

For those of you flying during holidays this year good luck with your ticket search!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 06:51 AM

78 posts, read 376,584 times
$181 is still pretty good... I got a flight to Laguardia on Christmas Eve morning for $70. That was my best airline deal ever I think! For my Christmas trip I have to fly back to Raleigh from Rochester NY and the one way fares are about $250 and UP. UGH!

Old 11-11-2008, 06:52 AM

584 posts, read 2,423,574 times
airfare watchdog will let you know if prices are rising or falling.

How about Southwest Airlines to Philly and drive from there?

Old 11-11-2008, 07:28 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
I am driving up to Long Island for Thanksgiving weekend to spend the holiday with family. I will probably leave Tuesday of that week and return Sunday or Monday. I feel more confident to drive, rather than taking a gamble with the airlines right now. I didn't want to end up booking early only to find the flight was cancelled due to cutbacks, etc. A friend of mine booked early to fly home to CA for Christmas, her flight was cancelled already, she is scrambling to find another flight, it may or may not be more $$$, time will tell.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:00 AM

315 posts, read 1,256,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

If you have any tips on good websites to search for fares to NJ please feel free to share them. So far I have tried Continental Airlines Website, Travelocity, Expedia, and Priceline but they all have the same fares listed.
We use sidestep.com. It searches most of the other sites and gives you all their prices.

We find that Southwest has the lowest fares.

I don't know where in Jersey you're going, but have you tried going through Philly?

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,815,767 times
My brother lives here but used to live in NJ. He flies US Airways from RDU to Philly instead of Newark, always books at ttheir own site-it's ALWAYS cheaper. Depending on where in NJ you need to go it might be worth a look.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:02 AM

675 posts, read 1,833,326 times
I looked at airfares for Thxgiving to Rochester, NY. $400+!

So we're staying here for Thxgiving and driving home for Xmas. I'd much rather spend 10-11 hours in the car and be in charge of my own travels rather than go through the rigmarole of getting to the airport early, dealing with crowds, etc. Of course, we can't fly direct to Rochester, so that makes it more of a pain. We may feel different if our families were near a large, easy-to-get-to hub like Newark, etc.

Old 11-11-2008, 09:21 AM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
I booked a Christmas trip flight to Florida last week and the total was $253. Three weeks ago it was $400 so the prices have come down. I'm flying Airtran as they seemed to be the cheapest.

Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by he's so hott View Post
I booked a Christmas trip flight to Florida last week and the total was $253. Three weeks ago it was $400 so the prices have come down. I'm flying Airtran as they seemed to be the cheapest.
If you can fly out of Greensboro to Sanford, FL, you can get $29 each way fares on Allegiant air.

Also if you a book a flight and it goes cheaper, call the airline, alot of them will refund the difference. I know Airtan will.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:18 PM

2,392 posts, read 5,724,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post

Also if you a book a flight and it goes cheaper, call the airline, alot of them will refund the difference. I know Airtan will.
I didn't know that. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary