Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 11:12 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,051,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCgirl View Post
Question about Aldi's - Can't you get the same saving by only buying the grocery store generic brands? Especially from stores like Super Walmart or Food Lion?
Aldi generics are usually less expensive or else I'd Just get all my groceries from Wal-Mart. I don't buy the meats there, but the majority of the food is perfectly fine. Thanks for clarifying things Fuquay Caniac. I still think an Aldi in WF would be great and alot of ppl would shop there. IMHO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 12:34 PM

718 posts, read 2,972,570 times
Aldi's is great for everyday basics(canned goods, cereals). The one in Cary is very clean and organized. I have never found twigs or whatnot in any canned goods I have purchased from them.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:26 PM

6 posts, read 11,792 times
People keep mentioning Trader Joe's. Not sure if any of you know this but Aldi's and Trader Joes are actually owned by the same parent company.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:36 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,795 times
I do like Aldi; but forget Wake, build one in Durham. I make the trip out to Cary because it's a nicer store, but it's a bit of a haul.

Prices? About the same as Wal-Mart.

The ability to get what I need in under half an hour, and avoid Wal-Mart too?
Priceless.

I have never once left Wal-Mart happy. I always leave Aldi smiling.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsbadmojo View Post
I do like Aldi; but forget Wake, build one in Durham. I make the trip out to Cary because it's a nicer store, but it's a bit of a haul.

Prices? About the same as Wal-Mart.

The ability to get what I need in under half an hour, and avoid Wal-Mart too?
Priceless.

I have never once left Wal-Mart happy. I always leave Aldi smiling.
Funny you said that, I always leave there smiling too! So, maybe one in WF and one in Durham.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:42 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,917,795 times
Also, don't know why everyone freaks about Aldi meats. I don't buy ANY commercial meat anymore, but back when I did I got it at Aldi all the time; never once had an issue.

I'm not saying it's never happened, but I know Food Lion and Kroger and even Whole Foods were impacted by the Nebraska Beef recall over the summer. I don't know who Aldi's supplier is, but they seem to be doing better than others.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Also, don't know why everyone freaks about Aldi meats. I don't buy ANY commercial meat anymore, but back when I did I got it at Aldi all the time; never once had an issue.

I'm not saying it's never happened, but I know Food Lion and Kroger and even Whole Foods were impacted by the Nebraska Beef recall over the summer. I don't know who Aldi's supplier is, but they seem to be doing better than others.

It's not that the meats are not good. I do buy the burger chub there and a couple other packaged meats like pepperoni. It seems like there prices are more expensive than I pay at the fancier grocery store. I only buy meats when they are on sale and I stock up. The other day Albertson's (in FL) was having a big meat sale. For four of us for about a month (2 adults, 2 kis) I spent about $53 on meat. That includes sirloin steaks, boneless chicken breast, top round roast, chicken legs and thighs.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:54 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,100,833 times
Quote:

I don't think there is anything *wrong* with their meats but I have tried several items and just didn't care for them as much as I like other meats. I thin kmaybe the cuts are slightly different too...I don't know. I also do not care for most of their frozen fish. It is all from China which I don't like, but that's true in a lot of grocery stores. There's just generally more of selection of fish NOT from China in some other stores. And I've tried a few of the Aldi/generic frozen entrees like the lasagne and it was totally gross (as is their spaghetti sauce) but again, none of the other grocery store brand spaghetti sauce is any good so I don't think it's specifically them. They do carry some name brand frozen stuff that I think is OK though like Tyson Chicken Nuggets (for the kids) and some other items.

I do really love their produce though. It's cheap, tastes good and a lot of it is local. I get the BIGGEST cucumbers I've ever seen for like $.59 each. The tomatoes have been great, the grapes are good, the bananas are fine, onions, potatoes, corn on the cob, mangoes, large bags or navel oranges..but I will admit you have to hit it on the right day. I was in the Cary Aldi recently and the produce was WAY picked over and what was left looked pretty bad. I need to find out when they get shipments in!

Old 11-13-2008, 10:19 AM

123 posts, read 611,508 times
Many name brand products are packaged under the Aldi brand and Aldi buys the name brand product at a discounted price and sell it under their label. Del Monte is one ( "happy harvest"). It would be interesting to find out what else is.

When traveling in Canada I found that many stores in the NW also are starting to do the coin carts, buy your own bag and bag your own groceries in order to save money and keep costs down. It seems to be the new way of doing things. I'm game for paying 50 cents less for each can of peas if I have to bag my own groceries.

Don't think of it as a grocery store version of Goodwill think of it as a miniature version of Costco and Sams club where you don't have to buy bulk.

Canned goods are cheaper than Walmart, produce is cheap and there are some meats there that are vacuum sealed and are as good or even better than the omaha steaks we bought. It is a good place to stock the pantry.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:06 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,698,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear75 View Post
Don't think of it as a grocery store version of Goodwill think of it as a miniature version of Costco and Sams club where you don't have to buy bulk.

Goodwill sells good condition used clothing - I don't think anyone buys used food!

Think of Aldi like TJ Maxx - name brands for less, but all new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary