Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2008, 04:39 PM

44 posts, read 125,274 times

Advertisements

We're looking for a local bar to hang out and watch football - somewhere that has satellite TV for the NFL ticket. According to the Crowley's website, they have a sports bar room with satellite TV... would be VERY convenient for us, as we could walk to and fro!!

The reviews online say it was voted one of the "best bars to take children"... huh?? We've walked by many times, and to be honest it doesn't look like a "family place". So we are a little perplexed. Has anyone from this forum actually been there, and can you give us your opinion. As a reference, we've been to Blinco's, Fox & Hound, Champps, Wild Wings, Ale House, and Skybox. We liked all of those.... it's just that Crowley's is literally "around the corner".

Any reviews of the place would be much appreciated...... before the game tomorrow (Thurs) night if possible!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 04:44 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
We USED to go there when we lived on that side of town and it was definitely not a gang hangout then but it's quite possible that it's changed. It's just a sports bar and they frequently had local bands play on the weekends. People did take their kids to eat there and it's fine. I don't remember seeing many kids there on weekend nights or anything, but families did frequent the place and it was generally pretty crowded! They also used to have a location on Medlin Drive off Wade Avenue and that one was fine too (mostly college kids). I *think* Edwards Mill Bar and Grill was a Crowley's at one point!
I used to babysit for the original owners (they were actually the Crowleys and live din our neighborhood) like 20 years ago before they sold the place. The new owners kept the same name!

Last edited by lamishra; 11-12-2008 at 05:59 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 05:16 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,282,498 times
I use to live in an apartment complex over that way. Is this the Crowleys that is next to the Harris Teeter? If so, I must say I wasn't very impressed with that place and can think of better palces to catch a football game on a Thursday Night. Maybe it has gotten better, but when I went there two years ago it was pretty smokey and frankly kind of dirty. The staff didn't seem thrilled to be working there and the TV they had for the games were kind of old. Like I said, maybe it has gotten better and since you are so close to it I would still give it a try at least once, but it definitely does not make any of my "best of" lists.

Last edited by North_Raleigh_Guy; 11-12-2008 at 06:01 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 06:00 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,104,632 times
Sounds like it's gone downhill then!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:32 PM

7,140 posts, read 4,738,653 times
I'm not sure about this as far as football games but I've heard good things about a place called Piper's. They have things that they hand out for kids to color and draw with when they walk in the door. I've never been there, so am just passing on what I've heard.
best,
toodie

Old 03-23-2009, 12:07 PM

334 posts, read 867,450 times
Crowleys was a great place for kids and watching games up until a few years ago. They had a great after work crowd and if you did not get there early you had to stand. The food was good too. But it has changed ownership a few times and each time it has not been kind. The last time I was there you had to sign in like a club. I would not recommend it now. There are much better places in Raleigh.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:33 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,048,960 times
Default reply

the original crowley's on medlin drive still does a great business. i never liked any of the other ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary