Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:37 PM

157 posts, read 617,216 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Durham for about two months now but have not gone out at night much...My very good friend is coming down to visit for the weekend and was looking to hang out in downtown Raleigh...We're both 26 so we're looking for fun places where 20 somethings hang out...I'm thinking of going to a couple bars and maybe a club or two...Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 08:27 AM

89 posts, read 417,189 times
The Office is a great one (I'm not sure, but I think there is a membership involved), another great one is White Collar Crime on Davie Street. The Dirty is okay, but unless you're on stage you'll end up on a crowd of standers and watchers. I think Sin City is pretty new and don't know about the membership info (whether or not you need one) on that one.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:43 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
^I'll defer to mariegirl for clubbing/bar advice above, seeing as I tend to towards a completely different type of nightlife.

But for dining beforehand, I'd say consider Humble Pie...it's a tapas kind of place, with a really cool, young crowd. (Attracts a lot of artsy folks too.)

Or if you prefer fancy, Sullivans Steakhouse or Red Room are good choices as well. Or go a completely different route and hit up Yancey's Jazz & Blues cafe for some good cajun & southern food.

Old 02-23-2007, 08:43 AM

271 posts, read 1,213,338 times
Glennwood South in general is pretty "happening" So you can start there. Also City Market isnt bad.

Old 02-23-2007, 09:01 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Default Membership at Restaurants

Do you have to purchase memberships at restaurants if you have a glass of wine with dinner? Or, does it only apply to clubs?

Old 02-23-2007, 09:09 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,406,783 times
^ No no no...restaurants are always open to everyone. Well, everyone except those with loud unruly children.

Nightclubs technically have to require a membership, or you come as a "guest"...and this is a thing that some clubs don't even enforce (and risk fines).

Old 02-23-2007, 09:17 AM

89 posts, read 417,189 times
OR if you are looking for something more "subdued" Bogart's is great and Zydeco is nice.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:01 AM

579 posts, read 2,863,277 times
In NC, only establishments that serve food are allowed to also serve hard liquor. Otherwise, it has to be a membership club. The member fees are usually pretty small but it is a law that it has to be done that way. Weird but it works.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:06 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,253,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raccemup View Post
In NC, only establishments that serve food are allowed to also serve hard liquor. Otherwise, it has to be a membership club. The member fees are usually pretty small but it is a law that it has to be done that way. Weird but it works.
thanks. I remember we had something called an "uncorking" fee in Salt Lake Restaurants and I thought Raleigh might have the same.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:21 PM

21 posts, read 123,380 times
Bogarts, Hi Fi and Red Room on Glenwood Avenue are three hot bars/clubs in downtown Raleigh area. My husband and I like to hang out there with friends on Saturday night. They are owned by the same group so you just need to pay $5 admission and hop for these 3 bars. Bogarts has live band playing on Saturday. Red room has DJ playing international dance music. They also served tappas and Sangria. I love their Mango Mojito! Hi Fi plays Hip Hop. We went there for Halloween and it was jam packed with people wearing very creative costumes. Fun places to go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary