U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 07:12 AM

945 posts, read 1,744,683 times

Advertisements

Looks like we will now have cheaps eats available in the Triangle. Restaurants are changing their menus, so people will still eat out.

Economy has Raleigh restaurants changing their menus :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 07:23 AM

1,301 posts, read 4,501,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Looks like we will now have cheaps eats available in the Triangle. Restaurants are changing their menus, so people will still eat out.

Economy has Raleigh restaurants changing their menus :: WRAL.com
I don't know, a $9 lunch is still a little much for me. I work downtown. If I ate every day at The Mint's "cheap" lunch, that's $45 a week. Add that atop the $55-$85 a month to park downtown. I think I'll still to packing my lunch or grab a $5 salad at Roly Poly.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:30 AM

996 posts, read 2,513,049 times
My budget is $3 for lunch. dollar menu at wendys or make my own lunch and bring to work. $9 is a lot plus you have to include a drink and tip.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:35 AM

I eat out 4 to 5 days per week and at least 2 nights. I will take whatever savings they are offering up.

Old 11-15-2008, 10:22 AM

5,507 posts, read 9,023,145 times
This is basically saying we are lowering prices to the point where we make very little money in order to stay open. I guess it's good news till they close down.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Good Lord! Can anyone find anything good about any situation or is everything always bad?

Old 11-15-2008, 05:09 PM

11,496 posts, read 25,771,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
Good Lord! Can anyone find anything good about any situation or is everything always bad?
Although, I think $9 is too much, if it works with you're budget, that's great. Honestly, there is alot of that going around. I never used to see that before. Especially on this forum! I don't know if it's b/c everyone is going through tough times or what? Don't take it personal, I think the OP are just giving their honest opinions.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,139 times
Default Cheaper to eat

I am moving to NC but still in Va right now. My husband getting ready to retire. My daughter waitress on weekend and goes to school during week. When the gas prices went up she says that the same people still came out to eat at the restraunt on Sat and Sun. only different is they stop tipping. She worked 10 hours one day and made $30 bucks when she was use to making at least $100. People do not understand that waitress make less than $3.00 hour and no one makes up that difference. I have been in the restraunt that she works in and have seen a group of 10 people with 4 children come in run her to death and make the biggest mess in the world and leave her a $3 tip. My question is do you let your children eat at home like that? Well let me get off my horse lol.

Janice Low

Old 11-16-2008, 06:39 AM

1,301 posts, read 4,501,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicelow View Post
I am moving to NC but still in Va right now. My husband getting ready to retire. My daughter waitress on weekend and goes to school during week. When the gas prices went up she says that the same people still came out to eat at the restraunt on Sat and Sun. only different is they stop tipping. She worked 10 hours one day and made $30 bucks when she was use to making at least $100. People do not understand that waitress make less than $3.00 hour and no one makes up that difference. I have been in the restraunt that she works in and have seen a group of 10 people with 4 children come in run her to death and make the biggest mess in the world and leave her a $3 tip. My question is do you let your children eat at home like that? Well let me get off my horse lol.

Janice Low
I worked in a restaurant during better economic times, and those type patrons came in from time to time. Most realize what they are doing; they just don't care or find someway to justify it in their mind. Sad but true; gotta take the good with the bad. Hopefully, this serves as an additionally motivator for your daughter to finish her education.

Old 11-16-2008, 11:26 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,202,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janicelow View Post

Janice Low
Makes me sick. My wife's first job at age 13 was waiting tables and busing dishes in a restaurant and she (and I) are very sensitive to the challenges and pains that come with the job.

As a result a 20% tip is usually the minimum we'll leave anywhere. If the service is really extraordinary -- which can be as much as someone just being pleasant, or watching someone give great service to us despite being overworked -- we'll leave 30-40%. (Helps that she's now an attorney and not a 13-year-old restaurant worker!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary