Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 09:08 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Has a life View Post
Bullseye, right?
I understand your pain and am sorry for your loss if the person in question is someone close to you.

However, there are facts in this case we are not privy to. All that has transpired in this thread is a collection of responses and related issues that arose from this case as well as a discussion of the simple everyday speculation that arises from such mystery. No where is it reasonable of you at this point, your first post, to criticize others for opening a discussion relating to this case when we, too, have very limited information. You could have chosen to shed light on this event and educate others, but chose not to.

Nonetheless, regardless of what prompted this tragic ending, I will stand by the idea that any one, no matter their condition, that discharges a firearm in a public area is doing so with complete disregard for themselves and the innocent public. I would rather not see or hear someone doing themselves in when options do exist, but I also do not condone using a firearm in the manner that was described. It was reckless.

I understand what prompted your response, but I also found it unacceptable to insult others in the end. Rather than responding with a knee jerk reaction by lowering yourself to the presumed levels that you found unacceptable; why not enlighten others about the person behind the mystery and inspire everyone with the real person behind this tragic event? People here as a whole are not unkind. And they are certainly not all unreasonable.

Again, I am sorry for your loss and I hope you find it in your heart to reach out to this community who will support your feelings in every way possible.

Last edited by CaliBoy; 11-22-2008 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: quote has been orphaned

Old 11-22-2008, 10:08 PM

2 posts, read 4,904 times
This act was something completely out of character for him. That is something that everyone is questioning. It makes healing that much harder. I appologize that I didn't use proper ediquette in responding to this post, but I didn't feel as though many of you were making comments that were acceptable as well. At one point there are a few of you that actually turned this into a joke!

I agree, what Ryan did was reckless, but so is someone getting behind the wheel of a vehicle after consuming alcohol, talking on the phone, etc. It doesn't make it right, but firearms shouldn't be singled out.

The reason he even had a firearm was because he was held at gunpoint in 1997 or 1998 (I can't remember which) and had his car stolen outside of his second (part time job). He felt the need to have a firearm as a form of protection.

If you feel as though you need to know all the details to make it better in your minds.... just know that he was an organ donor and one of his kidneys was given to his ill mother. I hope this can help paint a better picture of him rather than using stereotypes, etc. Going forward, when discussions as these arise, please take the time to think as you are posting, that it something like this is open for everyone to read. Have a little respect for him.

Last edited by Has a life; 11-22-2008 at 10:34 PM..

Old 11-23-2008, 07:11 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Has a life View Post
Not sure what type of message board this is
well basically it's a place to get data about a city, in this case a city in the US, specifically in North Carolina, and usually limited to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary.

(City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary)

Old 11-23-2008, 07:21 AM

316 posts, read 1,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
well basically it's a place to get data about a city, in this case a city in the US, specifically in North Carolina, and usually limited to Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, or Cary.

(City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary)
Ah....How is that helpful to the poor man? Really, sympathy is in order.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:29 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post

Actually, anything is in order... sympathy, empathy, rant, raves, etc. Anything that a person contributes to the discussion is a matter of the exercise of their free speech. The subject matter here has not just become an issue relating specifically to the victim of this crime, but in general the issue of firearms, crime and the public's safety at large. Sympathy is only one aspect a person can choose to discuss here. That's truly an interesting part of participating in discussions. The amount of information that can be learned from one single incident.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:34 AM

945 posts, read 1,971,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post

Actually, anything is in order... sympathy, empathy, rant, raves, etc. Anything that a person contributes to the discussion is a matter of the exercise of their free speech. The subject matter here has not just become an issue relating specifically to the victim of this crime, but in general the issue of firearms, crime and the public's safety at large. Sympathy is only one aspect a person can choose to discuss here. That's truly an interesting part of participating in discussions. The amount of information that can be learned from one single incident.

Great points

Old 11-27-2008, 06:02 PM

1,561 posts, read 5,158,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergeisnotmyname View Post
well i thought answering his question was more helpful than calling people a bunch of mama's boys with no lives

Old 11-27-2008, 06:44 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciLittlePiggie View Post
well i thought answering his question was more helpful than calling people a bunch of mama's boys with no lives
Any you never make allowances for grief? Anger is one of the stages. He comes across a thread where random people are talking and speculating about his friend in some not all together nice ways. He goes off. Not sure why that would surprise anyone.

If you note, he did return in a much calmer manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary