Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 04:16 PM

945 posts, read 1,972,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Actually, Durham just raised its starting pay from $33,000/year to $37,000 per year (post academy graduation) to be on par with Raleigh.

The big problem that we have now is that the tough tax/budget situation made it hard to give a similar raise to officers 1-2 steps above rookie level.

Does that make more sense?
I feel police officers should be making a whole lot more than they do....in all towns. We entrust our safety to these fine officers and they put their lives on the line for us. The pay is a joke.......and not just in Durham.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltank View Post
The problem is, it is not a shooting, some poor soul decided to end their life. No one was driving around shooting in the parking lot, it was simply reported that someone was. By posting the things that you are posting, it simply makes the paranoid people more paranoid.

When I originally posted the link, they did not state he shot himself. They did not know the situation at the time. The balance of the details still smell fishy and we don't know if he was trying to kill himself or not. This is something that is quite different than you would expect to see at a store, so we are talking about it. I am not sure why there is any kind of issue talking about the situation and about addressing crime.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:20 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
I come from a town where the biggest crimes we had to deal with was some kid stealing pumpkins from your front porch. Any amount of crime like Durham has is a shocker to me. It is an adjustment. Given that surrounding towns have less crime, as you noted, and have a more comfortable feel, then I would choose to live outside Durham. Others that are more used to some issues probably would not have as many concerns. I do like to frequent the Southpoint area, so issues like this have me concerned.

It is simply a comfort level.
Hey, I grew up in a town just like yours (not in NC). A US Senator is building his house right next to my mom's house. The houses across the street are all 5,000+ sf homes owned by executives and stockbrokers. It's not a poor neighborhood. It's not a violent neighborhood.

I never wanted to live in a "real city" as a kid -- until I lived in a city that had actual crime, yes, but also really great amenities, diversity, density. And crime, too. But the crime didn't bother me as much. Now, my tradeoff would be between living in a city that's more alive but has higher crime, and a city/suburb with no crime but less -- to me -- interesting things happening, too.

I'm not saying that your reaction to crime is an atypical one; just that it's not everyone's.

And I am disagreeing about the concept that crime is increasing in Durham.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Hey, I grew up in a town just like yours (not in NC). A US Senator is building his house right next to my mom's house. The houses across the street are all 5,000+ sf homes owned by executives and stockbrokers. It's not a poor neighborhood. It's not a violent neighborhood.

I never wanted to live in a "real city" as a kid -- until I lived in a city that had actual crime, yes, but also really great amenities, diversity, density. And crime, too. But the crime didn't bother me as much. Now, my tradeoff would be between living in a city that's more alive but has higher crime, and a city/suburb with no crime but less -- to me -- interesting things happening, too.

I'm not saying that your reaction to crime is an atypical one; just that it's not everyone's.
You grew up in a much better town than I did. Mine was at best middle class, but maybe not even that. We just didn't have anyone being killed and no cars being stolen. These things just did not happen. Having virtually no population was probably the biggest reason why.

I am not telling anyone they should not live in Durham. I have not stated that. I have only stated my discomfort level with the amount of crime, compared to what I am used to. I have no use for cities or downtowns for the most part, so it's not like I am missing out on things I would like to enjoy. However, Southpoint is an area that I frequent, so when issues happen there, I take notice. When I go shopping or out to eat, I do not want the feeling of having to look over my shoulder. I never felt that way back home and I don't feel that way where I live now. I will feel that way when I head back to Southpoint and that is a shame.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:48 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
"OMG"...gotta love how grown adults can talk like 16 year old textheads.

Sorry, just had to be said.
LOL!!! You are assuming everyone is a grown adult. In my experience some adults never get past their adolesence.

Thanks for the laugh of the day.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM

447 posts, read 1,718,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
I come from a town where the biggest crimes we had to deal with was some kid stealing pumpkins from your front porch. Any amount of crime like Durham has is a shocker to me. It is an adjustment. Given that surrounding towns have less crime, as you noted, and have a more comfortable feel, then I would choose to live outside Durham. Others that are more used to some issues probably would not have as many concerns. I do like to frequent the Southpoint area, so issues like this have me concerned.

It is simply a comfort level.
The issue is one person, firing a gun at their own person.

To all of the people worried about this:
Police Charge Two Men With Deadly Shooting Near Southpoint Mall :: WRAL.com murder in 2004. So I guess if you have been there in the past 4 years you have been playing with fire. Obviously it is a haven for violent offenders that like overpriced clothing and fine dining in chain restaurants.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:57 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
Obviously it is a haven for violent offenders that like overpriced clothing and fine dining in chain restaurants.
And they are getting HIGH on the perfume smells coming out of Nordies and Macy's!!! They just can't resist snorting those free samples of Versace's White Crystals. Grab your children, run, hide, but what ever you do, STAY AWAY from that perfume "bar"!!!

Last edited by PDXmom; 11-17-2008 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-17-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
To all of the people worried about this:
Police Charge Two Men With Deadly Shooting Near Southpoint Mall :: WRAL.com murder in 2004.

Wow. Scary stuff. Thanks for posting this. I may try to avoid the mall as much as possible. It's a shame though, because I thinks it's the best mall around.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:25 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times
Default confession

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

I predict that next week you will share with us yet another prediction.
I have a crush on North Raleigh Guy

Old 11-17-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry884 View Post
I have a crush on North Raleigh Guy

He is married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary