U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:43 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,814,474 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by princepassa View Post
Funny to read the posts since my rant a couple days ago... and for the record, Southpoint is NOT in Chapel Hill. I agree that crime happens everywhere and everyone ultimately is responsible for their own safety and should remain vigilant whenever out and about. What was shocking to me from my experience of having lunch near the shooting(s) on Sunday, was that I am already a very cautious person, avoiding bad areas, never going out at night alone, etc... but still, I had been lulled into a false sense of security by the expensive stores and fancy decor of the Southpoint area. I learned a lesson Sunday, about the triangle, and more than anything, it made me miss the hermetic, upper-middle class neighborhood of my youth. I live in Meadowmont now, where I walk my kids to school and where I shop in the village harris teeter. I now go to movies at the Lumina in Southern Village far away from the hustle and bustle of Southpoint, and the only mall I frequent is University Mall, which is usually so devoid of patrons my kids can run freely from The Toy Store to Hungates with me following after them (this fact also leaves me nervous it will shut it's doors soon!)... all of this though, is an attempt to recreate that peaceful and free childhood existence for my kids... isn't that what they deserve? Yet, the Durham gang-bangers killed the UNC student president about 2 miles from my home... I try desperately to keep away from random violence and gang activity, I just wish it would keep away from me.
All well and good, but I'd rather raise my kids in the hustle and bustle than a hermetically sealed existence. (In an ideal world, I'd be raising them in New York City. Alas the money fairy has declined to visit me, among other reasons.) To each his own, though. Southpoint is the archetype of modern suburban middle-class shopping, however, so if you cut that out there's not much left.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:46 PM

1,025 posts, read 1,988,512 times
Quote:
I try desperately to keep away from random violence and gang activity, I just wish it would keep away from me.
It is impossible to avoid random violence. The nature of random violence is that it can happen anywhere. That is why they call it random.

We're still talking about an incident in which one person died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound, right?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:12 PM

675 posts, read 1,204,850 times
Quote:
I try desperately to keep away from random violence and gang activity, I just wish it would keep away from me.
Are you being serious, or attempting to make a joke? Random violence, by definition, can't be avoided.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 PM

675 posts, read 1,204,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff2v View Post
All well and good, but I'd rather raise my kids in the hustle and bustle than a hermetically sealed existence. (In an ideal world, I'd be raising them in New York City. Alas the money fairy has declined to visit me, among other reasons.) To each his own, though. Southpoint is the archetype of modern suburban middle-class shopping, however, so if you cut that out there's not much left.
Hear, hear. I would much prefer my children be raised in a culturally, economically and sociologically diverse area. What better way to learn how the world really works? You take more of a risk every time you get in your car and drive on a freeway than when you go to any shopping mall.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:18 PM

945 posts, read 1,315,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Random violence, by definition, can't be avoided.

True, but one can limit the chances of it happening to them. If you walk down a gang infested LA street at night, the chances are much better that some random act will happen to you, than if you walked the downtown of Apex during the daytime. Some places simply have more opportunity for crime than others and if you happen to be there at the wrong time, it could happen.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
Hear, hear. I would much prefer my children be raised in a culturally, economically and sociologically diverse area. What better way to learn how the world really works? You take more of a risk every time you get in your car and drive on a freeway than when you go to any shopping mall.

I would much rather not put my child at risk in any way. I would prefer to bring my child up in the most pleasant, happy and safe environment that I can. I can teach them about the bad things in the world, but I don't have to have them actually experience it.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 AM

319 posts, read 1,041,735 times
I can empathize with some of the posters who feel uncomfortable with crime. Maybe you have grown up in an area where your newspapers have never reported any heinous crimes. I get slightly angered on behalf of the employees who are around when these incidents are going on. You are getting pretty worked up when your general safety has never come into question.

I was working at the mall in 2004 when the two men were found in their vehicle. I did not fear for my safety at the time. Why? Because within minutes the area was taped off by our fellow Durham police officers. I drove home feeling sad that people had died. The mall had pretty much emptied out by this time. Therefore shoppers were not in danger. The safety of myself or my employees was never in question. I don't think you have any idea how tight security inside Southpoint is. Shoppers won't be deterred. It would be nice to find parking close to the entrance this holiday season but I know that won't be happening.

Like other posters have mentioned, the HHGregg incident happened behind the store. It does not appear they were targeting shopppers. It was random and sad.

No one likes crime. But these attacks on a whole city are ridiculous. Durham vs. Chapel Hill/Cary/Raleigh. Sheesh!

Old 11-20-2008, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danadana View Post
Maybe you have grown up in an area where your newspapers have never reported any heinous crimes.
No...violent crime just did not happen in my town. It just was not an issue. I lived in a country cow town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danadana View Post
No one likes crime. But these attacks on a whole city are ridiculous. Durham vs. Chapel Hill/Cary/Raleigh. Sheesh!
What attacks? Why is it that if we discuss city crime, people feel it is an attack. Cities typically have more crime than do suburbs. If we discuss the issue and possible solutions, along with our comfort level, why is that considered an attack? I think people are a bit to sensitive about that. Durham has many great qualities to it, along with many wonderful people. Only good can come from talking about issues that need to be addressed. At the very least, we all may be more aware.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:37 AM

447 posts, read 1,058,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
No...violent crime just did not happen in my town. It just was not an issue. I lived in a country cow town.

What attacks? Why is it that if we discuss city crime, people feel it is an attack. Cities typically have more crime than do suburbs. If we discuss the issue and possible solutions, along with our comfort level, why is that considered an attack? I think people are a bit to sensitive about that. Durham has many great qualities to it, along with many wonderful people. Only good can come from talking about issues that need to be addressed. At the very least, we all may be more aware.
I agree, in the 70's in Waterloo Iowa where I lived for my first 10 years of life, there was no crime that I knew of. I was 4 years old and could wander the neighborhood and not have to worry about anything, and talkign with my mom recently she knew I would be fine cause she knew the neighbors would look out for my brother and I. But you know what, John Wayne Gacy was also president of the Jaycees in my home town before moving on to become one of the worst serial killers in American history. So even in small towns, the criminal intent exisits, but might not be known. (Gacy was long gone from Iowa before I was born)

The solution is for people to not avoid areas because crime has happened there. We avoided the downtowns of America because they began to have reputations of violence and being grungy and old, well that is what they became because of neglect, people moved to the suburbs, and now the crime that "only happens in the city" is happening in the suburbs. So they will then move further out in search of safety. So we keep building the perfect Wakefields and Briar Creeks and with it we stretch the police further, we increase response times to crimes and such.

I am not saying this is the only reason for the sprawl, but it is one of the causes. If you want the safety of true suburban life, move to a farm community, if not accept the risks of city life, don't complain about it and stick your head in the sand. Help out and make those places better.

And for anyone that gets on me, I live in Raleigh ITB. Cross streets of my block are Brighton and N. King Charles. It is considered a "bad neighborhood" but improving. I have had one break in to my house, some kids too an Xbox and some movies. I locked down the house tighter and shrugged it off. I used to find beer bottles in my lawn, I threw them away and looked for the people doing it. People that look shady walk through my neighborhood, but I stand on the porch and wave, I let them know someone is watching. I love my neighborhood and feel safe, I know plenty of single women that live around there that also feel safe. My girlfriend comes over all the time and never feels unsafe, infact she lives on her own a few miles away in another "bad neighborhood". I choose to not avoid or simply complain about a problem, I would rather be the solution.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:48 PM

1,232 posts, read 2,650,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
What attacks? Why is it that if we discuss city crime, people feel it is an attack.

If we discuss the issue and possible solutions, along with our comfort level, why is that considered an attack? I think people are a bit to sensitive about that.

Durham has many great qualities to it, along with many wonderful people. Only good can come from talking about issues that need to be addressed. At the very least, we all may be more aware.
This is exactly true. Addressing only the wonderful aspects of a city when other less desirable aspects requiring addressing is simply living a life of blissful ignorance.

It is certainly not an attack to point out a negative if one personally witnesses or experiences that negative. Talking about it constructively only prompts opportunity to create solutions for that negative. Criticizing another person's commentary regarding something less desirable they have witnessed or experienced, or even heard via the media, only frustrates the discussion.

I'd much rather read a person's constructive commentary about something negative than someone's overly sensitive defensive response to another person's assertion. It's oppressive.

This crime, however tragic, is an event I've heard about in just about any city in the country. I would surmise and agree with danadana that it was a random event that is too early to conclude as something widespread in that area. Though I do believe the public is always at risk when an individual(s) is brazen enough to murder someone in a public area, I doubt I will have any fear shopping there in the future.

Though no matter where I live or visit, I am cautious of my surroundings. No need to be oblivious myself since random and specific acts do exist and can happen to us at any time. Not something I want to become paranoid about, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary