Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 02:04 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,184,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
I don't even know what HH Gregg is but this shooting doesn't faze me. I already live in Durham, though
I live in Durham, too, and it doesn't faze me either. I was shot twice already today.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:19 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,939,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I live in Durham, too, and it doesn't faze me either. I was shot twice already today.
I was only bludgeoned, but I worked from home today.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:25 PM

1,364 posts, read 6,010,083 times
Quote:
I was only bludgeoned, but I worked from home today.
I heard the shooter was In & Out of consciousness before finally dying.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:06 PM

675 posts, read 1,828,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
I'm not fazed either. I live in Durham, and I think it was you I shot twice already today.

Old 11-18-2008, 04:19 PM

945 posts, read 1,967,465 times
Quote:
I don't even know what HH Gregg is but this shooting doesn't faze me.

It is an electronics/home appliance store. I was surprised to see it open right near a Best Buy, but the store is actually really good. Many choices of televisions. They even had a 75" DLP television. I wanted to take that sucker home really bad.

Old 11-18-2008, 05:14 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,939,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit MA Now View Post
It is an electronics/home appliance store. I was surprised to see it open right near a Best Buy, but the store is actually really good. Many choices of televisions. They even had a 75" DLP television. I wanted to take that sucker home really bad.
I have to keep my old huge heavy TV. Because when the dog flew into it after doing agility in the living room a few weeks ago, the bulk preventing me from having to go to HH gregg and buy a new tv

Old 11-18-2008, 05:31 PM

4,266 posts, read 11,380,935 times
Line up - single file. I'll shoot you all.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
I have to keep my old huge heavy TV. Because when the dog flew into it after doing agility in the living room a few weeks ago, the bulk preventing me from having to go to HH gregg and buy a new tv

Then the answer should be very simple. You need a bigger dog.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,365 times
Funny to read the posts since my rant a couple days ago... and for the record, Southpoint is NOT in Chapel Hill. I agree that crime happens everywhere and everyone ultimately is responsible for their own safety and should remain vigilant whenever out and about. What was shocking to me from my experience of having lunch near the shooting(s) on Sunday, was that I am already a very cautious person, avoiding bad areas, never going out at night alone, etc... but still, I had been lulled into a false sense of security by the expensive stores and fancy decor of the Southpoint area. I learned a lesson Sunday, about the triangle, and more than anything, it made me miss the hermetic, upper-middle class neighborhood of my youth. I live in Meadowmont now, where I walk my kids to school and where I shop in the village harris teeter. I now go to movies at the Lumina in Southern Village far away from the hustle and bustle of Southpoint, and the only mall I frequent is University Mall, which is usually so devoid of patrons my kids can run freely from The Toy Store to Hungates with me following after them (this fact also leaves me nervous it will shut it's doors soon!)... all of this though, is an attempt to recreate that peaceful and free childhood existence for my kids... isn't that what they deserve? Yet, the Durham gang-bangers killed the UNC student president about 2 miles from my home... I try desperately to keep away from random violence and gang activity, I just wish it would keep away from me.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princepassa View Post
Funny to read the posts since my rant a couple days ago... and for the record, Southpoint is NOT in Chapel Hill. I agree that crime happens everywhere and everyone ultimately is responsible for their own safety and should remain vigilant whenever out and about. What was shocking to me from my experience of having lunch near the shooting(s) on Sunday, was that I am already a very cautious person, avoiding bad areas, never going out at night alone, etc... but still, I had been lulled into a false sense of security by the expensive stores and fancy decor of the Southpoint area. I learned a lesson Sunday, about the triangle, and more than anything, it made me miss the hermetic, upper-middle class neighborhood of my youth. I live in Meadowmont now, where I walk my kids to school and where I shop in the village harris teeter. I now go to movies at the Lumina in Southern Village far away from the hustle and bustle of Southpoint, and the only mall I frequent is University Mall, which is usually so devoid of patrons my kids can run freely from The Toy Store to Hungates with me following after them (this fact also leaves me nervous it will shut it's doors soon!)... all of this though, is an attempt to recreate that peaceful and free childhood existence for my kids... isn't that what they deserve? Yet, the Durham gang-bangers killed the UNC student president about 2 miles from my home... I try desperately to keep away from random violence and gang activity, I just wish it would keep away from me.

I know how you feel. Some people laugh at how we feel, but there are places that are so incredibly safe, where virtually nothing happens. When you grow up in areas that have just about no issues whatsoever, it can be an adjustment moving to an area that has higher crime, even if it is less crime than bigger cities. It's all relative to what you are used to. People that are comfortable with somewhat elevated crime levels may just make jokes about it, but we all really need to focus on the issues. ANY crime is too much, no matter where it happens. When there are tough economic times, anti-crime programs sometimes suffer. Hopefully that will not happen this time.

I never assumed that Southpoint had zero crime or was just as safe as every other town. I did realize that it is much safer than southeast downtown. Maybe that made me to comfortable with everything there. I think it is a wonderful part of the city and want to enjoy everything it has to offer. I think it would be very unfortunate to have a mentality that thinks it is alright to have crime, as long as it is not as much as L.A. We should strive for zero crime, even though we cannot achieve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary