Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
This is so true, it's not that you stop spending completely, it's to start spending more carefully, and not overdoing it!
Are you my husband?!!

Just kidding. Like Jenny, I use my credit card to get the cash back but I pay it off each and every month!

Vicki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 09:34 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,591,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradfordpair View Post
You go to raleighwood to watch a movie that has been in theatres for months just to get a discount.
ONLY to discover that Raleighwood is the most fun, comfortable theatre with the best food in the area. Mom and Dad can suffer through a horrible kid movie with a sandwich and a glass of wine for less that it woulkd have cost and the regular theatres. I LOVE this place
Raleighwood doesn't only have little kid movies though. If you ever want it as a date night, they have good movies too. Wife and I saw The Sixth Sense there with a great dinner.

Old 12-09-2008, 05:07 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
When you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and do a dumpster dive into the 'free' bin of Christmas trees branches left over when they trim up a tree someone bought. You bring them home and staple them to a 2x4 to form a Christmas tree! You place the 2x4 made tree into a bucket filled with Red Clay from your backyard because you can't get a tree stand! Yes my friends at that exact point when your done and you back off to look at your creation you think to yourself....man we are in a recession!

Old 12-09-2008, 02:21 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
When you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and do a dumpster dive into the 'free' bin of Christmas trees branches left over when they trim up a tree someone bought. You bring them home and staple them to a 2x4 to form a Christmas tree! You place the 2x4 made tree into a bucket filled with Red Clay from your backyard because you can't get a tree stand! Yes my friends at that exact point when your done and you back off to look at your creation you think to yourself....man we are in a recession!
Thanks for the smile.....great punch line!

Old 12-12-2008, 12:11 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,949,188 times
okay, when you really start looking through val-pak or the money mailer coupons and realize that even the merchants have cut-back sending coupons! This money mailer is so tiny this go-around...LOL Happy Friday!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:59 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,343,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynraleigh View Post
okay, when you really start looking through val-pak or the money mailer coupons and realize that even the merchants have cut-back sending coupons! This money mailer is so tiny this go-around...LOL Happy Friday!
Also when you take your dog for a walk around the neighborhood on garbage day and round up all the coupon mailers, val-paks, sale circulars to bring home and roll them up into paper logs so you can burn them in your fireplace for heat. You can't even afford to use the coupons which means you actually have to spend money to save money.

As you sit back and watch the paper burn you say, dog-on it man we are in a recession!

...as your dog sits quietly at yor feet and looks up at you with the ever loving look and thinks to itself, the day you slipped me the O'Roy brand biscuit over the Milkbone....I knew we were in a recession!

Old 02-18-2009, 02:25 PM

91 posts, read 115,806 times
I'll know the recession is affecting me when I:

1. Realize that buying Reese's Peanut Butter Cups is and has always been a complete waste.

2. Start buying my clothes at Walmart instead of Target.

3. Get my nails cut neatly at home. Who needs a nail paint?

4. Attempt to do a Martian wax myself at home.

5. Search the papers every day for coupons for classes on written English improment.

6. Move from Cary to Morrisville to save gas.

7. Feign illness on days I'm supposed to participate in potlucks at work. (why do I have to spend the money on aliens, UFOs and strangers?)

8. Go from shopping at Whole Foods to Harris Teeter to Lowes to Food Lion to giving my exclusive grocery business to the dollar store. (Well, actually that would be terrible. Dollar shoppe doesn't have all the required fresh food items)

9. Refuse to date you because you don't live within what I consider my radius for a nice ride.

10. Stop going to church to save gas (No way! I can always carpool with my friend).

I will never implement any of these ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenny_B View Post
I'll know the recession is affecting me when I:

1. Decide that buying Reese's Peanut Butter Cups in bulk is a luxury rather than a need.

2. Start buying my clothes at Target to save money instead of at my favorite consignment shop.

3. Get my nails done once every three weeks instead of two.

4. Attempt to do a Brazillian wax myself at home.

5. Search the papers every day for coupons for The Angus Barn.

6. Move from Clayton to Cary to save gas.

7. Feign illness on days I'm supposed to participate in potlucks at work. (why do I have to spend the money to make a dish that feeds 10??)

8. Go from shopping at Whole Foods to Harris Teeter to Lowes to Food Lion to giving my exclusive grocery business to the dollar store.

9. Refuse to date you because you don't live within what I consider my drivable radius.

10. Stop going to church to avoid tithing (I jest! I jest! I don't go to church...)

I have implemented a couple of these ideas... I won't tell you which, except to say, "Oh, the pain! The pain!"

Jenny_B

Old 02-18-2009, 05:24 PM

347 posts, read 934,128 times
When your credit card company raises the interest rate due to the "extraordinary circumstances of the economy".

FYI I called them an negotiated my rate down below what it was before the increase. What bull to think they could raise it just because they can and I wouldnt complain

Old 02-18-2009, 05:51 PM

144 posts, read 130,938 times
You fly by Southwest istead of AA.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
1. When you wait until 10 PM to eat a burger at MoeJoe's because the price goes down!
2. When you actually think about which $5 menu items you order at Hi5 to maximize the value of your money. In other words, you skip the carbs in favor of the protein.
3. When you eat the special of the day at the Cameron Village McDonald's instead of what you really want.
4. When you actually think about running more than one errand at a time so that you use your gas more efficiently.
5. When you sell your coveted basketball tickets because you can get a lot of money for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary