Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 05:33 AM

746 posts, read 1,242,620 times

Advertisements

It is REALLY snowing now! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 01:10 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky1 View Post
It is REALLY snowing now! :-)
But is REALLY didn't stay, either. Maybe one will stick for the holidays.

Old 11-21-2008, 02:56 PM
ASC

50 posts, read 137,492 times
For everyone who doesn't think it snows alot in NC, let me remind you of 2004:

2 feet of snow fell around Asheboro,
2 feet of snow fell in various places around Charlotte, and up to Raleigh, and out to Cape Hatteras!

Yes, that all came down in 1 storm over a two day span.

At 5 am I was awakened to the sound of thunder and flashes of lightening, while it was snowing. Rare for anyplace, so I've been told by meteorologists. So I looked outside, and it was absolutely pouring snow, I shoveled the driveway and sidewalks, and had a snow pile over my head.

Also, interesting enough, the Charlotte Observer's front page featured skiiers skiing down Kill Devil Hills on the Outer Banks, with over a foot of snow there, and that's on the ocean.

So, for people who moved here after March of 2004, you really don't know what a true Carolina Winter is, because we haven't had very much snow since. But, from 2004 and before, we had several snows a season with at least one ice storm a year, BTW, can anyone recall the ice storm of 2002 that knocked out power to 95% of the state of North Carolina? (Keep in mind, that snow events like that don't happen often, but my point is that it has happened, and will happen again sometime.) Our winters over the past 5 years are nothing compared what they used to be.

So, get ready, hopefully we can get back into the swing of things.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:09 PM

87 posts, read 304,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASC View Post
For everyone who doesn't think it snows alot in NC, let me remind you of 2004:

2 feet of snow fell around Asheboro,
2 feet of snow fell in various places around Charlotte, and up to Raleigh, and out to Cape Hatteras!

Yes, that all came down in 1 storm over a two day span.

At 5 am I was awakened to the sound of thunder and flashes of lightening, while it was snowing. Rare for anyplace, so I've been told by meteorologists. So I looked outside, and it was absolutely pouring snow, I shoveled the driveway and sidewalks, and had a snow pile over my head.

Also, interesting enough, the Charlotte Observer's front page featured skiiers skiing down Kill Devil Hills on the Outer Banks, with over a foot of snow there, and that's on the ocean.

So, for people who moved here after March of 2004, you really don't know what a true Carolina Winter is, because we haven't had very much snow since. But, from 2004 and before, we had several snows a season with at least one ice storm a year, BTW, can anyone recall the ice storm of 2002 that knocked out power to 95% of the state of North Carolina? (Keep in mind, that snow events like that don't happen often, but my point is that it has happened, and will happen again sometime.) Our winters over the past 5 years are nothing compared what they used to be.

So, get ready, hopefully we can get back into the swing of things.
Here is a map showing snow accumulation during the February 2004 storm: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/...m.20040227.gif

Also, here is another map showing the even more impressive blizzard of January 2000: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~nwsfo/storage/...m.20000125.gif

These two events definitely helped to prove that North Carolina can get serious snow every so often.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:18 PM
ASC

50 posts, read 137,492 times
I had forgotten all about that 2000 Blizzard, until you reminded me, I remember it now. It wasn't as bad for me because I live outside of Charlotte, we got snow, but we didn't get that pounding like they did east of us, I remember seeing the pictures on the news, the whole central part of the state was paralyzed for a week at least. In the 2004 storm, after it snowed a cold front came through and knocked the temperatures down to about 7 or 8 degrees, and the next day, getting to 20 was a struggle, and the salt and plows wouldn't work on the roads, so they had to bring in bulldozer type machines, and "grind" the snow and ice off the roads, yep, it was bad.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:09 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
You guys are crazy...there is no winter weather in NC. People leave that all behind when the move from New England, New York, New Jersey and the Great Lakes. There is no such thing as winter south of the mason dixon line. Fact.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:09 AM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
You guys are crazy...there is no winter weather in NC. People leave that all behind when the move from New England, New York, New Jersey and the Great Lakes. There is no such thing as winter south of the mason dixon line. Fact.
Is this sarcasm?

Or is this I'minformed2 Jr.?

My guess is Jr.

You must be proud dad

How are things for you rock?

Old 11-22-2008, 11:21 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
1. yes it was sarcasm

2. yes it's me, the original...not "jr" (though i did find out that a while ago my son had posted on this forum on my account..go figure)

3. your guess is wrong....sorry

4. I am a very proud dad, but I don't see what that has to do with anything here?

5. Rock? I don't get it. Things are well though, thanks for asking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary