Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 10:35 PM

2,407 posts, read 10,677,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Yeah, I was there tonight and saw a guy with one--and had heard about the "scanner guys" from other years. I think they have a way to find out what the books are selling for on online sites and are buying them solely to resell. I don't guess the library can "ban" them, but I agree it takes the fun out of it. Maybe they should say "no scanners until the last day" or something.
I think whatever the library does to encourage sales (especially the first couple of days, where the $$ is the the highest), will mean more money for the library's bottom line. I agree that it takes some of the fun out of it, but I don't agree with a ban. The annual sale is important part of library revenue and I think that it should be maximized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 02:07 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,398 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was there tonight and saw a guy with one--and had heard about the "scanner guys" from other years. I think they have a way to find out what the books are selling for on online sites and are buying them solely to resell. I don't guess the library can "ban" them, but I agree it takes the fun out of it. Maybe they should say "no scanners until the last day" or something.

to answer an above question, there WERE a bunch of current books when it was something from last year or so that the library was thinning back on. Example: Bill Clinton's biography and Elizabeth Edwards' biography--there were huge stacks of both of those. Also a recent Princess Diana biography.

Lots of really old stuff, too (directories and reference books decades old) but most of the "regular books" cover a wide range of years. And, I didn't even stay but about a half hour this time...will go back Sunday for the cheap day
Hey Francois, we were both there last night. And, yes, I saw the scanner people... or at least some. So, of course, being the chatty Caliboy I am, I asked what the heck they were doing and if they could show me what they were playing with.

The scanners were PDA's and are part of an, apparent, expensive piece of software that keeps them current on pricing for particular books. The people I saw last night were going up and down every aisle scanning each and every book. Obviously, they are reselling the books at a higher price online as that is what they clearly indicated to me. More power to 'em, of course. I just felt like they were very much vulture-like. However, they were also people who looked like they were trying to make a living just like the rest of us. And, the couple I spoke to bought over two carts overflowing with books. Lots of textbooks that evening. Killer program and scanners too.

Anyway, I was overwhelmed by the amount of books I found there. Lots of fiction my significant other picked up. Me, I found a lot of home improvement, computer and reference books. Even the decade old stuff was quite cool. But, there were so much and, though the organizers have made every effort to keep things in section, there were some topics in several places and books piling up at times. Many people working the floor were straightening up constantly.

We purchases a good number of books, hard and soft cover knowing that some of the books we probably could have picked up a bit cheaper this weekend. But it will be a zoo this weekend.

By the way, one staffer indicated that Sunday will be especially crazy and that a long long will probably form. Last year, there were people rushing to the children's section scooping up books by the box full. She indicated that they sold out of that section within the first hour of the Sunday.

Overall, I was impressed with the size of the place, the offerings and how we found that it was quite a fun evening. I can spend hours, days, in a library... we literally closed the place down as they were shouting out to the crowd they were closing.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:14 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,537 times
I work as a volunteer at the sale.
The volunteers who do the unpacking on the first day ( and that is some HARD work) get to pay Saturday prices for anything they want ( limited to $5 of purchases for every hour you work). That did take care of some of the newest material on monday, Tuesday the same applies but Wake county agencies get the pick ( mostly teachers) who were taking boxes full of books - I don't think they pay anything, just sign for what they are taking.

You can buy a lot of books (new) at on line market places for 1 cent plus shipping so thats why the resellers check prices

Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
You can buy a lot of books (new) at on line market places for 1 cent plus shipping so thats why the resellers check prices
Ah, I see. Pretty cool. Entrepreneurial. Not bad.

By the way, I can tell by the number of books that were there that it was incredibly difficult work. Kudos to all the volunteers!

Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
CaliBoy--just curious, you say you and your significant other were these last night--are you a gay couple, one tall and "older" and one shorter and perhaps Hispanic? You say you got some reference books...I think I was browsing the reference books at the same time you were Yeah, that's one of the first sections I check. If I had room, I'd buy a set of old 1960s World Books just like I grew up with

Anyway, I've been most years but this looked like a bigger year than most for merchandise--it's all good! And while those scanner people can seem annoying, I can't begrudge them the process (I sell some of my old books online, too) and yes, it's great that they are buying so much from the library, and on the most expensive day, too...after all, they will not end up selling everything they buy. But I still think it's inconsiderate of them to send throngs to "hog" the aisles and not let other people get to the books.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:56 PM

460 posts, read 1,274,060 times
Been going for the last 10 years or so and usually volunteer (but can't this year)...its an awesome place for book lovers!
Sundays are crazy! LONG lines waiting to get in but if you don't mind the crowds...checking out is still a breeze.
One of the best things about volunteering is getting in an hour before it opens on Sunday (oh...and helping people...yadayadayaday)

Old 11-21-2008, 12:47 PM

Quote:
CaliBoy--just curious, you say you and your significant other were these last night--are you a gay couple, one tall and "older" and one shorter and perhaps Hispanic? You say you got some reference books...I think I was browsing the reference books at the same time you were Yeah, that's one of the first sections I check. If I had room, I'd buy a set of old 1960s World Books just like I grew up with .
Francois, we're certainly pretty gay at times, but we're not gay. And by the time we arrived to the reference table, you would have seen a tall guy looking fairly hungry, tired and stretching a lot with a woman who had a look on her face like she was ready to leave... considering the number of hours we spent there, it was time.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8134/booksalecaliboy2008il3.jpg (broken link)
Just a shot from last night...

Old 11-21-2008, 04:14 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
^ LOL, OK...it's just that you don't hear "significant other" all that often from heterosexuals Well, I don't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary