Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 10:00 AM

693 posts, read 2,760,744 times

Advertisements

OK so i've heard a lot of good things about NC (i'm looking into Raleigh-triangle area). Warmer weather, nice people, low cost housing, [fill the blanks].

But.... is it fun? Would someone unmarried be bored to tears after moving to the area? How diverse it is? What people do on their spare time?

TIA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2006, 10:12 AM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
My daughter lives there and she took me to places that I have never seen before. Quite frankly I found it loud and unpleasant but if you are a party animal you should have a wonderful time. Good luck.

Old 06-11-2006, 10:40 AM

not a party animal, but would like to make a circle of friends and spend time with them doing things. just don't know how easy would be to make friends (30-40 yrs "oldies") and what kind of entertainment they are used to.

Last edited by Grass Is Greener; 06-11-2006 at 10:43 AM..

Old 06-11-2006, 01:46 PM

787 posts, read 3,583,292 times
Not my thing but I think you will have a lot of choices in Raleigh to choose from. But again, I am not from Wake County. You couldn't pay me to live there. I am from the country.

Old 06-11-2006, 02:47 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,122 times
What are you interested in doing? What do you consider fun? Clubs, parties? Yeah, we have those. Biking, rock climbing, kayaking, hiking, hang gliding, rafting, camping, hot air ballooning, diving, dolphin watching, hunting, fishing, etc? We have that too. Museums, zoo, science centers, historical homes, lighthouses, plantations, battlegrounds, re-enactments, outdoor dramas? Yep, got those too. Quiet beaches, not-so-quiet beaches, mountain cabins. Yep.

I think you'll have a fine time here in North Carolina.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:33 PM

wow Niki that's a lot more than I can fit in my spare time! sounds great to me

Old 08-03-2008, 09:02 AM

4 posts, read 6,638 times
Cool Theory of Relativity

I've learned that regardless of where you live, it's what you make of it. Fun (is one of those subjective words) can be defined in many different ways. There are many options in the Raleigh-Durham area for all ages. We have college sports, pro sports (hockey and soccer), lots of green space for hiking, mountain biking, disc golf. Many lakes and rivers for canoeing, kayaking, skiing, fishing. Downtown Raleigh is in a re-birth with many new clubs of all sorts, fine dining, museums etc. Our population is well educated and there are many different groups you can become involved in. It's all up to you.

Old 08-03-2008, 09:35 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
I am single and in your target age group.
The key to being single anywhere is choosing the right neighborhood. One of the really great things about Raleigh is that one can live in town near the nightlife but still be in easy access to nature.
Since you are looking for 30s/40s, I am going to assume that you are not on a starter budget and can afford to spend a few extra dollars on a great location. Look in the Glenwood South, Cameron Village & Five Points areas near downtown. There are lots of high end condos literally coming online in the next few months. New townhouse communities can be found "infilled" in the older neighborhoods near the city center. There are also many existing condos, townhouses that are lower in costs but lack the luxury and amenities of the new projects. You'll also find a array of rental choices that range from cheap old, post war buildings to a large new luxury apt blg under construction in Glenwood South.

Although I am not a member, I have heard great things about the Raleigh Ski & Outing Club. Hip restaurants, clubs and lounges are sprouting up all over Glenwood South, the Warehouse District and in the central business district of downtown. The city has an extensive greenway system for jogging, rollerblading and cycling. Umstead St. Park is huge natural oasis on the West side of town.

Here's some links:
Raleigh Ski and Outing Club, Inc.
City of Raleigh | Greenway Trail System (http://www.raleigh-nc.org/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_0_306_209_0_43/http;/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Parks_and_Facilities/Greenway_Trails/Cat-Index.html - broken link)
Raleigh Entertainment Districts (http://www.visitraleigh.com/weekends/entertainment/glenwood.html - broken link)
William B Umstead State Park, a North Carolina State Park near Apex, Cary, Chapel Hill, Clayton, Durham

Old 08-03-2008, 10:01 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,057,895 times
This thread hadn't been touched for 26 months until today! Is that a new record for oldest Frankenthread?

Old 08-03-2008, 03:18 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,733,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
This thread hadn't been touched for 26 months until today! Is that a new record for oldest Frankenthread?
I think you just challenged me to find the oldest defunct thread and post in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary