U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM

547 posts, read 855,796 times

Advertisements

Vicki--I was afraid you would ask that question.(you probably know the answer since I've said we just got the tank this week and you told us to have the fireplace turned on within a MONTH after the sale....so, do the math) <hanging head>

Dh did talk the fireplace company into coming and turning it on in a few weeks, free of charge(they werent happy about it though). He spoke to them today..so hopefully they can solve the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 04:51 PM

Vicki--I was afraid you would ask that question...LOL.

Dh called today, and the fp company was not happy about it because its been over 1 month since the sale, but he did talk them into coming in early Dec, free of charge. So maybe they can tell us why there is a low-flame.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:52 PM

Oops--posted 2x..sorry

Old 01-15-2009, 06:07 PM

1 posts, read 6,493 times
What color flame is normal for a propane fireplace - ours is yellow - my wife wants blue.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:19 PM

542 posts, read 941,888 times
Is this a vented or non-vented fireplace? If it is not vented it can be a health hazard and should only be operated with a window open to allow the noxious gases to exit your home (if you don't believe me read the instructions that came with the fireplace).

Mike

Old 01-15-2009, 06:49 PM

10,418 posts, read 18,013,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmom5497 View Post
Vicki--I was afraid you would ask that question...LOL.

Dh called today, and the fp company was not happy about it because its been over 1 month since the sale, but he did talk them into coming in early Dec, free of charge. So maybe they can tell us why there is a low-flame.
Inquiring minds want to know...did the company find the problem and solve it?!!

Vicki

Old 01-16-2009, 12:52 PM

716 posts, read 1,837,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Troublemaker View Post
What color flame is normal for a propane fireplace - ours is yellow - my wife wants blue.
The best gas log sets produce a dancing yellow flame that mimics the flames produced by a natural (i.e. wood) log fire. This is accomplished by burying the main burner in a shallow tray of sand and starving the flame of sufficient oxygen.

The starved flame is authentic looking, but is high in Carbon-monoxide (meaning the fireplace must be vented for your safety) and high in soot. Your gas logs and firechamber walls will soon be covered by soot residue. Fireplace companies sell a special spray-on cleanser to eliminate the soot build-up, $$$. This cleaner is actually only Hydrogen-peroxide and you can buy it much cheaper in the drug aisles of your local stores.

Blue flames indicate a clean burning gas flame with sufficient oxygen and no dangerous CO. A blue flame color is required for gas stove tops, gas ovens, gas water heaters, gas furnaces, etc. It may be this emphasis on "A Blue flame is Safe" that is causing her desire for blue flames in your fireplace.

An unvented gas fireplace will also need to burn "blue" for safety reasons, but a blue flame from a vented gas log set is considered artificial and highly undesireable from an asthetic standpoint. Ironic isn't it, we install artificial logs in a masonry fireplace but insist they "look" authentic.

http://www.hargrovegaslogs.com/index.htm

We have Hargrove logs in our fireplace and they are gorgeous!

I don't know if the set below is intended for the "Sports Lover" or the "Sports Widow"!

Last edited by MI-Roger; 01-16-2009 at 01:16 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM

850 posts, read 2,258,998 times
Newmom,
Did it work out? We had a similar thing where we were supposed to call the company to have them set up the propane fireplace within a month or so. I let it go much longer but they didn't bat an eye when I called and they came out free of charge.

Lauren

Old 11-25-2011, 01:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,875 times
how are the logs supposed to be arranged
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary