Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 01:30 PM

1,682 posts, read 3,446,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnraleigh View Post
Did the opening go as planned? Did anyone here attend? We were hoping to go tonight as Shiki Sushi was our favorite places while living Durham.
Please let us know how it went. I'm especially interested in the Thai offerings. That web site doesn't have a menu yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,592 times
Tasu is now open as of 1/16/09. Just received a email from them

"Thank you so very much for your kindness e-mail subscribe and patience! We are open now! Please come visit us! You will get more information very soon for our grand opening party!

Thank you so very much!

Sincerely Yours

Tasu Asian Bistro Sushi & Bar Management"

Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 AM

1 posts, read 2,938 times
My wife and I went Wednesday evening for dinner. As huge fans of Shiki, we were thrilled to see that they are offering the exact same sushi menu and deal (buy one, get one free). They only had a handful of other entrees available at this point. They said those will grow as they get close to their grand opening (approx 2 weeks). Our waiter told us they brought some sushi chefs over from shiki to help with the transition and the rolls that we ordered were excellent. Highly recommend!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM

158 posts, read 472,625 times
We checked this place out last night. As Raleigh Al Stated, they brought all of their sushi chefs over from Shiki. Being huge fans ourselves of Shiki's Sushi, our rolls were identical(and excellent). Our waiter was also from Shiki Sushi and a nice fellow.

We used to live down the road from Shiki Sushi and eat their regularly. After moving to North Raleigh, it became more of a hassle for us to make our way over there and back for dinner during the week. Having a location in Brier Creek has definitely excited us. My wife and I were like kids in a candy shop last night.

Some of the cons were the location. Hearing that this new restaurant 'Tasu' was opening in Brier Creek, my wife and I headed straight to Brier Creek. After driving once down and back up the 'strip' with the movie theatre and dick's in it we were discouraged to not find it. We tried the other side of 70(After battling traffic to get to that side) and once again were let down as it wasn't there either. We drove back into the main Brier Creek area hoping we missed it. We didn't miss it and decided to exit on Lumley to head home to more familiar restaurants. Viola! Tasu is located in another shopping center(Which we didn't know existed) across Lumley. With traffic this took us about 35 minutes of 'searching' to find.

Another con was the music. I'm not sure if they were scrambling to find 'something' to play last minute, but the music was 70's disco... I'm guessing this will change when everything starts falling into place.

Lastly the advertising. I guess they didn't 'officially' open yet when we were there, but the place was empty save for 3 other couples. Their website is terrible and has no information. I had to call Shiki Sushi to confirm whether Tasu was even open since I couldn't find a phone number anywhere. I hope they find a way to advertise that place and verify the location.

Overall these were all minor in the scheme of things. I go to a restaurant for atmosphere and especially good food. You can definitely tell they are still growing into their new location which I believe is standard for any expanding restaurant. I did have the pleasure of speaking with the regional manager on Thursday. He came to our table to make sure we had an enjoyable evening. After some dialog, he let us know that they were planning on opening a lot more restaurants. The next restaurant should be in the Cary/Apex area. I'm glad to see them doing so well.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 AM

238 posts, read 668,933 times
We went to this place last night and it was excellent. One thing of note is that they are having a FREE buffet (and drinks) today (Sunday, 1-25) for their official grand opening. Free food if anyone is in the area.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:56 AM

1,219 posts, read 3,292,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
We went to this place last night and it was excellent. One thing of note is that they are having a FREE buffet (and drinks) today (Sunday, 1-25) for their official grand opening. Free food if anyone is in the area.
What are the hours for this - all day???

Old 01-25-2009, 02:38 PM

I have to say, I was not impressed with the grand opening. Although the food was free, it was not very good and oddly, it was all Chinese (beef & brocholi, potstickers, eggrolls that were dripping with grease, and General's chicken) with the exception of the sushi. Unfortunately, I didn't get to try any sushi as tables of people were hijacking huge platters of it for themselves. I guess I wasn't feeling brazen today (or anyday, for that matter) to do the same. Nonetheless, I think I'll stick with their Durham location. For one thing, they serve Japanese food there, not Chinese.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,148,592 times
I'll have to completely disagree with hula. I went to tasu on Friday night and the sushi was equal to or better then shiki sushi. The atmosphere in the front area needs work...very clean and plane. They had the same sushi chefs working here as they do at shiki. The rolls are a little smaller then typical sushi places because of the buy one get one. We spent 28 dollars and ate like kings.

As far as the grand opening I thought it was fabulous. The staff was extremely friendly and they offered everything for free...how can you complain? Even though it was free everything tasted fresh. The only thing that I could say was greasy was the spring rolls....but hey they are deep fried nothing you can do. We arrived at 1pm and did not leave until 3:15. We began in the front with some dumplings, noodles, and beef broccoli and later ended up at the bar in the back. In the back bar they had spring rolls, rice, and generals chicken, and a tray of spicy basil chicken. I personally had 5 FREE beers and about 20 pieces of sushi. The bar tender was great passing out sushi and would not accept our drink coupon when we tipped. There was plenty to go around they kept filling up each tray. The trays were not empty for more then 10 minutes. My wife and I easily ate and drank 80 dollars worth of food. I am grateful they did this event. I did not see anyone hijacking food....there were civial lines...if you wanted more just get back on the line which was 5 person long. Food was fabulous and I think everyone had a good time.

I am not sure where you sat but it seems that you and I were not at the same place. I am really picky with food and sushi and I have to rate this very tasty..not my top 3 but maybe 4 or 5.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stantheman78 View Post
I'll have to completely disagree with hula. I went to tasu on Friday night and the sushi was equal to or better then shiki sushi. The atmosphere in the front area needs work...very clean and plane. They had the same sushi chefs working here as they do at shiki. The rolls are a little smaller then typical sushi places because of the buy one get one. We spent 28 dollars and ate like kings.

As far as the grand opening I thought it was fabulous. The staff was extremely friendly and they offered everything for free...how can you complain? Even though it was free everything tasted fresh. The only thing that I could say was greasy was the spring rolls....but hey they are deep fried nothing you can do. We arrived at 1pm and did not leave until 3:15. We began in the front with some dumplings, noodles, and beef broccoli and later ended up at the bar in the back. In the back bar they had spring rolls, rice, and generals chicken, and a tray of spicy basil chicken. I personally had 5 FREE beers and about 20 pieces of sushi. The bar tender was great passing out sushi and would not accept our drink coupon when we tipped. There was plenty to go around they kept filling up each tray. The trays were not empty for more then 10 minutes. My wife and I easily ate and drank 80 dollars worth of food. I am grateful they did this event. I did not see anyone hijacking food....there were civial lines...if you wanted more just get back on the line which was 5 person long. Food was fabulous and I think everyone had a good time.

I am not sure where you sat but it seems that you and I were not at the same place. I am really picky with food and sushi and I have to rate this very tasty..not my top 3 but maybe 4 or 5.
Stan, I never got to have any sushi, so I didn't complain about it being bad. It looked great, but like I said the platters kept getting hyjacked, interestingly enough for the people in the bar. I sat up in the room just off the front door. No, I'm not complaining that the food was free, I think that was very generous, but I was not impressed with the flavor of what I had and I am very picky as well. As far as the greasy spring rolls, so much so it was literally dripping down my hand as I was eating them, I've never had any like that anywhere else and of course they are deep friend. I'm glad you had a good experience, really. I wish I had too and was very disappointed. I was perplexed as I love shiki sushi, but this location was not the same experience for me by a longshot.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:53 AM

158 posts, read 472,625 times
Hula,

I'd go back another night and try not judge the restaurant on their grand opening free food. Hopefully you'll be surprised!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary