Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 07:20 AM

12 posts, read 22,304 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be visiting Raleigh for a final interview and to do some exploration of the area. If we move, I will be working for the state government in the downtown. My wife is a teacher. So add up government worker and teacher and you get a liveable salary, but nothing fancy.

We are low 30's with a nino on the way. We are looking for homes under $200K ($140K - $160K would be ideal but $200K would be doable). Fixer uppers are fine. I entirely remodeled my last 100+ year old home. I don't want anything that requires that level of work, but I am quite capable at fixing anything cosmetic with a home and updating a kitchen or bathroom. 30 minutes from the downtown is fine. I work 1 hr 20 min from my job now, so anything 30 minutes and under will feel luxurious.

We do not like cookie cutter burbs and bland, faceless blocks of beige. We do not tend to eat at chain restaurants. We would prefer and independent hole in the wall place any day over a (insert franchise here). We love outdoor art shows, live music, festivals, or just any public space where a neighbor would want to chat about life.

We both love to go for walks together and will with our kid. I recreationally bike, but would not be considered an avid biker (no spandex yet).

We really appreciate diversity in a neighborhood that has it. We like the character of older homes, but the energy efficiency of newer ones.

Currently, we are fairly strongly looking at Apex. It seems to have a nice blend of small town character and ease of access to downtown Raleigh. Carrboro is also appealing, but seems too far from the downtown. I have a friend that lives out by Zebulon, that is trying to recruit us for the east side of town.

I have family southwest of Raleigh toward Charlotte, so while it won't make a huge difference, I have thought saving 30 minutes by being on the west side of town might make it easier to see the grandparents.

If you had one weekend to explore the area and were looking for something in our range and with our interests, where would you consider essential to visit?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Oh, I forgot to add the specs. We are looking at 3+ bedrooms and 2+ bathrooms. 1600+ square feet.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:59 AM

Oh, let me clarify that we do not need to find our house in the weekend, but just explore the areas that would be likely. It would be another 1 -3 months before we need to select a home if everything went forward. This is really just to see, take photos, and get a good sense of the area that would best fit us if we relocate.

Old 08-11-2009, 09:21 AM

757 posts, read 2,082,521 times
We live in Apex and love it! The great thing about Apex is that it has a greenway and the American Tobacco trail runs through it. It's also near Jordan Lake and you are 5 minutes from shopping, restaurants, and movies from anywhere in Apex you may live. Zebulon would be far from greenways and such and Carrboro.....well, when I lived in Chapel Hill...I never felt safe walking on the greenway in Carrboro. When several assaults happened on the greenway in Carrboro, I stopped walking there and I've heard others have had safety issues in Carrboro.

In your price range, Safety is going to be your main issue. Generally, the triangle region is safe, but there are parts that are not safe.

It sounds like you are actually describing Pittsboro and Durham. Pittsboro for safety, good schools, and really unique downtown and artsy feel (like Carrboro without the crowds). Durham has a lot of really neat arts and crafts bungalows in your price range....but the schools are not as good as a lot in the triangle and safety may be a concern there (just this week there was a shooting in a very prestigious Durham neighborhood...Trinity Park). Both would be a 40 minute drive to Raleigh. Maybe Durham a little closer.

I've not had any safety issues in Apex thus far, and I love the fact that I can walk to the greenway from my house. There is one house for sale in my neighborhood and I'll DM you the neighborhood and information about that house. Remember too that if you by a ranch house that's less than 1600 square feet, it may actually feel bigger depending on space...I guess what I'm saying is that your may actually find a 1200 square foot house that lives like a 1600 sq foot house.

If you consider townhomes, you could actually find something really great in that price range. Drive through Scotts Mill when you get to Apex. It's a very safe neighborhood and may 1 or 2 houses in your price range. You would be one of the cheaper houses in the neighborhood and the greenway runs right through it all the way to the elementary school. You could even walk your little one to elementary school and back every school day. They have a pool and tennis courts as well.

Apex is also near Pittsboro (15 min drive) so you could always drive to the artsy events and neat things that Pittsboro offers. If you are willing to have a 40 to 45 min drive to downtown Raleigh, Pittsboro would fit the bill for you.

I'll DM you the info about the house for sale in my neighborhood.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:31 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Others may disagree but I am constantly impressd with the number of homes avalibale in Cary in older neighborhoods with a $160K-$200K price tag. Mind you, these are not new homes, but if you are willing to look at older homes your options open up in Cary. You will also notice these neighborhoods tend to have mature landscaping which I think is a plus (shade is a good thing here). Also, Cary provides for a decent commute to downtown raleigh.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:45 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjohnson185 View Post
Durham has a lot of really neat arts and crafts bungalows in your price range....but the schools are not as good as a lot in the triangle
Durham has a lot more racial and socioeconomic diversity than say APEX and thus Durham's EOG (NC State Mandated) test scores are lower than say APEX. But that in no way means children get a subpar education in Durham. It all depends on what is important to the OP. My children are in a DPS school and we feel they are getting an excellent education, without the worry of redistricting that Wake Co. Parents faces.

HOWEVER, if your job is in Raleigh live in Raleigh. Save yourself the commute time .... you'll want to spend it w/ your family. And while it's important for resale to consider schools, if your are expecting your first and purchasing a starter home, in 5 years there is a good chance you will be moving into a bigger place anyway.

Why not contact a realtor and tell them where your job is located and ask for listings of homes that meet your criteria within a 5 mile radius of the job. Start from there.... look at them online and see if you need to expand your search. Then when you get here you can look at the neighborhood those homes are in and see if it fits you.

Good luck.

Old 08-11-2009, 07:05 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Live near your work. When you have a newborn, the shorter the commute the better.

I agree with NRG that older suburbs of Cary are good. I'd also be looking at older suburbs in the western part of Raleigh, maybe even the southwest (Lake Johnson area). There are great greenways through the established parts of Raleigh and Cary.

Apex has a great downtown, but the newer parts are going to fit the description of what you don't want. It's a mixed bag.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:46 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Others may disagree but I am constantly impressd with the number of homes avalibale in Cary in older neighborhoods with a $160K-$200K price tag. Mind you, these are not new homes, but if you are willing to look at older homes your options open up in Cary. You will also notice these neighborhoods tend to have mature landscaping which I think is a plus (shade is a good thing here). Also, Cary provides for a decent commute to downtown raleigh.
I agree. There are some great older homes in Cary (and also in Raleigh) - often times they need a little cosmetic work, but have great lot size. Apex is a nice town, but most of the housing is pretty bland (at least the 1990's subdivisions that would be in the OP's price range). There are some older sections near town, but I don't know what those houses go for.

Anyhow, I'd plug in your housing requirements in a good MLS search engine and come up with a list of area neighborhoods that look interesting. Bring a GPS, drive around, and have fun!

Old 08-12-2009, 06:00 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Help you get started, should you consider Cary:
W Park Street Cary NC 27511 - Google Maps

Irongate (Melanie Lane on the map), or Meadowmont in Cary, (Dowell Drive on the map.)
Or several other 1950's, 1960's, and 1970's neighborhoods in the Heart of Cary.
You might also find something in Greenwood Forest, (Warren Avenue South of Walnut St. on the map), although it will press your price point.

These mature neighborhoods have towering mature trees and landscaping and great landscaping.
Easy access to Downtown Raleigh.
You will see a lot of split-levels, ranches, and larger lots than some other areas.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:06 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Exactly. I live here in what you describe. Not cookie cutter, large lots, shade for kids, many affordable houses, safe, close to all in Cary and super-easy to get into Raleigh (reverse commute), and central enough in the Triangle that if someone changes jobs and needs to get to RTP or even Durham, it's no problem, either.

There are independent restaurants here, you just have to look for them. I wouldn't see the point of moving to Apex with the longer commute when it's all in Cary for a better price range. I agree Apex is nice, though. Maybe the schools are better? I don't think the elem. school I am zoned to is that great (I think it is OK) but we are hoping to do Catholic school. It's affordable with the money we are saving on housing. But if the OP is committed to public school system, and I think that is admirable, they would probably know how to research school issues and also have the inside scoop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary