U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-22-2008, 09:53 AM

3,651 posts, read 5,633,820 times

Advertisements

Obviously not a hotbed of cultural activity, but I don't care about that. What I want to know is whether this a run-down, backwoods, hole-in-the-wall place or just a nice small scenic rural town?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 09:56 AM

945 posts, read 1,315,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill545 View Post
Obviously not a hotbed of cultural activity, but I don't care about that. What I want to know is whether this a run-down, backwoods, hole-in-the-wall place or just a nice small scenic rural town?
It is like the land that time forgot. It is quite outdated, but development is very slowly staring to make its way there. It reminds me so much of where I cam from, which is now why I don't live there anymore. Very quiet, beautiful country areas, just not much around. Everything is a drive......for now.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:00 AM

Thx! Also how conservative (or liberal) is it, generally? How "diverse" or not is it? etc Thx

Old 11-22-2008, 10:07 AM

185 posts, read 500,975 times
Quote:
Thx! Also how conservative (or liberal) is it, generally? How "diverse" or not is it? etc Thx
I was looking into Pittsboro for a while. It's small, but kind of nice. It seems to have a progressive bent, I would say. Fairly short drive to Chapel Hill too (15-20 mins?).

Demographic data is on the main page of this site.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:

Probably not as conservative as I would like.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 AM

Hm - all this "close to chapel hill" concerns me also - ie not interested in an area with college crowd and/or extremely liberal bent -

Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 AM

9,081 posts, read 18,856,782 times
Quote:
Hm - all this "close to chapel hill" concerns me also - ie not interested in an area with college crowd and/or extremely liberal bent -
I don't think you are going to see a lot of college kids in Pittsboro. I went there once to check out the quaint downtown and get an ice cream at the soda shoppe. I posted some pictures here a while back.

To be honest I didn't get a feel one way or the other about a liberal or conservative vibe. The town is pretty small and just strikes me as a nice southern town. I don't think you will be overwhelmed with politcal vibes there.

Here is a link to my pictures. Link

If you are having trouble viewing them you likely have a setting on your computer like a firewall that is preventing them from showing up.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:

Man, I know how you feel. The problem is, more and more areas are leaning liberal. This will continue as more kids finish their indoctrination in college. Without heading deep south, the best you may be able to do is pick a mix area, such as in Cary & Apex. If you stay away from the university areas such as CH, then you should not have their ideology forced down your throat, although this year has been quite the exception.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:13 AM

185 posts, read 500,975 times
Quote:
There's no crowd, there's only 2,000 people and change.

I would say it's less conservative than many small towns in the area, which appeals to me. I'm not sure that's a deal breaker (again only 2,000-3,000 people) but my sense was it was the type of atmosphere I'd like which sounds like the opposite of what you'd like.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:43 AM

316 posts, read 663,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Red View Post
There's no crowd, there's only 2,000 people and change.

I would say it's less conservative than many small towns in the area, which appeals to me. I'm not sure that's a deal breaker (again only 2,000-3,000 people) but my sense was it was the type of atmosphere I'd like which sounds like the opposite of what you'd like.
It is less conservative then other areas, it has a bio-fuels plant, a few co-ops and health food stores. It's a wonderful small town. It's too far away for college kids, but I know a few professors that live there.

If people want to live in a town where no one votes Democrat and Limbaugh is considered great radio listening, then it's probably not going to be town for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary