Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 07:52 PM

675 posts, read 1,832,554 times

Advertisements

Wegmans.

People from Upstate New York know what I'm talkin' about.

EDIT: Didn't see people posted about it already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 07:55 PM

5 posts, read 14,355 times
I second & third: Wegmans!

Old 11-27-2008, 09:41 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Oh we have some nice stadium movie theaters already!

My favorites are:
Marquee Cinemas in Wakfield (Close to Wake Forest)
Regal North Hills Stadium 14 (Great Places to eat Before catching a movie)
Carolina Cinemas (On Grove Barton in North Raleigh)
Regal Brier Creek Stadium 14 (Brier Creek in North Raleigh)

The movie theater at Southpoint Mall in Durham is top notch too!
I don't know about others' want regarding movie theaters but this is not what I am talking about. What I think DT Raleigh needs is an urban model multi-plex theater where the individual theaters are stacked on different floors so that the complex isn't a sprawling complex surrounded by acres of parking. That sort of model will never be economically feasible in downtown. The land is just too expensive.

I want the land between the new West Condo tower and Peace St. to be developed like a tighter more urban "North Hills" with movies, some more entertainment options and shopping. I'd like to see a multi-story Target and some some other stores and services that aren't duplicated in nearby Cameron Village. I imagine it would be a good location for a DWR (Design Within Reach) store, Banana Republic and perhaps some midline designer stores like Kenneth Cole, Armani Exchange, etc. Of course, I'd also like this to be the location of a Lucky Strike. Once this is in place, the city needs to establish a more significant DT mass transit solution like a local bus loop.
Here's a link to a local bus service that really works well in SouthBeach: South Beach Bus Map - Miami Beach Public Transportation
If a bus like this ran daily from the CBD to Glenwood South and through other DT neighborhoods, it could be the vital resource needed to link DT neighborhoods and discourage driving among locals and limit driving for those who come to DT from elsewhere.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:48 AM

140 posts, read 419,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzerspeechie View Post
I second & third: Wegmans!
I am all for it. But lets face it Wegmans are not coming here

Old 11-27-2008, 03:53 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,153,963 times
Lighted freeways and public transit that really helps.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:55 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,077 times
MEIJER! Those of you from the midwest know what I'm talking about! There's nothing like it! Super Target and Super Walmart are all good and fine, but they just can't touch Meijer. Oh - and I wish that we'd get a good Whole Foods store with a pizza oven.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:19 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
I don't know about others' want regarding movie theaters but this is not what I am talking about. What I think DT Raleigh needs is an urban model multi-plex theater where the individual theaters are stacked on different floors so that the complex isn't a sprawling complex surrounded by acres of parking. That sort of model will never be economically feasible in downtown. The land is just too expensive.

I want the land between the new West Condo tower and Peace St. to be developed like a tighter more urban "North Hills" with movies, some more entertainment options and shopping. I'd like to see a multi-story Target and some some other stores and services that aren't duplicated in nearby Cameron Village. I imagine it would be a good location for a DWR (Design Within Reach) store, Banana Republic and perhaps some midline designer stores like Kenneth Cole, Armani Exchange, etc. Of course, I'd also like this to be the location of a Lucky Strike. Once this is in place, the city needs to establish a more significant DT mass transit solution like a local bus loop.
Here's a link to a local bus service that really works well in SouthBeach: South Beach Bus Map - Miami Beach Public Transportation
If a bus like this ran daily from the CBD to Glenwood South and through other DT neighborhoods, it could be the vital resource needed to link DT neighborhoods and discourage driving among locals and limit driving for those who come to DT from elsewhere.
^^ I like your vision. I remember going to the movies once in Manhattan. I think our show was playing on the 8th floor of the theater. I recall taking a series of escalators to reach my destination and taking in some great views out the window along the way. It would be great to see a movie theater in downtown Raleigh future.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:21 PM

Location: Apex, North Carolina [Shepherds Vineyard Subdivision]
269 posts, read 1,156,010 times
Wink Good Mexican Food?

I hear your missing good mexican food restaurants?

Old 11-28-2008, 10:12 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,772,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelly76 View Post
I am all for it. But lets face it Wegmans are not coming here
Virginians kept the hope alive, and their dreams came true! Don't give up hope!

When I moved out of NY, I was dismayed to learn that normal grocery stores don't have a room full of candy bins. Gummy bears just don't taste right if they don't come from a barrel.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:33 AM

1,967 posts, read 953,573 times
So, as I understand it, all this area really needs is an upgraded transportation system that can take us all directly to Wegmens. And if there is a Luck Strike bowling ally next to it we would all be in a state of bliss.

Also, from Wegmens web site:

Quote:
Where will Wegmans be building new stores in the future? Answer:
[LEFT]Each year, thousands of people who have visited our store for the first time, or moved to a place without Wegmans, write asking that we build a store in their town. Since we open just two or three new stores each year, it would be impossible to oblige every request.
Today, we have stores in New York, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, Virginia and Maryland, with no plans at the moment to expand beyond those five states. You’ll see from our list of future projects that our new store growth is concentrated in the mid-Atlantic region, though we will continue to upgrade or replace older stores in our more mature markets, like New York. There are other sites we are working on, but are not at liberty to disclose as yet.
[/LEFT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary