Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:25 AM

9 posts, read 23,021 times

Advertisements

[quote=VSB;6389532]1. Where did you find this data for Ligon (% AG)?

2. Does anyone know where I can find demographic data (for the student body) of a particular school? Is it available to the public? I'm interested in things like average income, educational achievement of parents, et cetera.

Demographic info can be found at greatschools.com along with teacher student ratios, test scores, etc. The "numbers" at the site seem reasonable but I can't guarantee their accuracy. Keep in mind that the demographics at any school here can change from year to year depending on the student assignment changes that are implemented.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 09:42 AM

847 posts, read 3,522,917 times
[quote=KimDennis;6390058]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VSB View Post

Demographic info can be found at greatschools.com along with teacher student ratios, test scores, etc. The "numbers" at the site seem reasonable but I can't guarantee their accuracy. Keep in mind that the demographics at any school here can change from year to year depending on the student assignment changes that are implemented.
Also here:
Reports and Statistics

Specifically:
Data & Reports

Old 12-02-2008, 06:51 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,548,106 times
sorry, the figure is 61% in 2005/2006 for AG students at Ligon. I can't find the report the following year which is where I might have gotten my 65% figure from.

Table 1
AG Students in the AG Basics Magnet Schools, 2005-06
Elementary Schools Number of Students in Grades 4 and 5 Number of AG Students % AG
Fuller 200 105 52.5%
Hunter 256 118 46.1%
Middle Schools Number of Students in Grades 6-8 Number of AG Students % AG
Carnage 1,112 393 35.3%
Ligon 1,052 642 61.0%

from report available at:
http://www.wcpss.net/evaluation-research/reports/2006/0602ag_basics.pdf (broken link)

Old 12-02-2008, 07:02 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLuvNC View Post
sorry, the figure is 61% in 2005/2006 for AG students at Ligon. I can't find the report the following year which is where I might have gotten my 65% figure from.

Table 1
AG Students in the AG Basics Magnet Schools, 2005-06
Elementary Schools Number of Students in Grades 4 and 5 Number of AG Students % AG
Fuller 200 105 52.5%
Hunter 256 118 46.1%
Middle Schools Number of Students in Grades 6-8 Number of AG Students % AG
Carnage 1,112 393 35.3%
Ligon 1,052 642 61.0%

from report available at:
http://www.wcpss.net/evaluation-research/reports/2006/0602ag_basics.pdf (broken link)
And for the record the reason why that so many kids are identified AG at Ligon is that to even apply to the lottery as a magnet student a student must be AG.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:10 PM

"And for the record the reason why that so many kids are identified AG at Ligon is that to even apply to the lottery as a magnet student a student must be AG."

Where did you read or hear that? I know several kids who are at Ligon, who were lottery and not AG. You can get accepted to the Ligon GT basics program or to Ligon non-GT basics. The GT basics puts you in the AG program. But you don't have to be AG to apply to a magnet, even a GT magnet. I know folks who put enrolled kids there because they were language inclined and wanted to get german in 6th grade. another wanted the drama/arts program.

also, if you are really persistent and offer to do transportation, and 'transfer' your kid in, you *might* be able to get your child in even if you don't get in via lottery. Their is a tiny bit of leeway with 'transfers'. But I have heard they do fill up the GT slots quickly and the leeway is not there.

Note: If you need/want the GT program, you DO need to check the GT basics checkbox. If you don't, then you won't get the slot. and your child has to be designated AG 'in the system' for it all to work out. This is evaluated in the 3rd and 4th grades in elementary. no idea how transfers into the system work.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:20 PM

316 posts, read 1,006,550 times
Quote:
"And for the record the reason why that so many kids are identified AG at Ligon is that to even apply to the lottery as a magnet student a student must be AG."

Where did you read or hear that? I know several kids who are at Ligon, who were lottery and not AG. You can get accepted to the Ligon GT basics program or to Ligon non-GT basics. The GT basics puts you in the AG program. But you don't have to be AG to apply to a magnet, even a GT magnet. I know folks who put enrolled kids there because they were language inclined and wanted to get german in 6th grade. another wanted the drama/arts program.

also, if you are really persistent and offer to do transportation, and 'transfer' your kid in, you *might* be able to get your child in even if you don't get in via lottery. Their is a tiny bit of leeway with 'transfers'. But I have heard they do fill up the GT slots quickly and the leeway is not there.

Note: If you need/want the GT program, you DO need to check the GT basics checkbox. If you don't, then you won't get the slot. and your child has to be designated AG 'in the system' for it all to work out. This is evaluated in the 3rd and 4th grades in elementary. no idea how transfers into the system work.
It may have changed...but two years ago you could only apply if you are identified AG. I know....my daughter goes there.

You might not get into the AG only program, (though all AG students can take AG level classes) but you had to be AG at that time to even apply. So it's changed? Not sure I like that, but since it's our last year there....it won't really effect us.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
You do have to be AG identified to participate in the AG program at Ligon. Ligon is AG/GT. They are different programs, but in order to be accepted to Ligon into the AG program, you must be "AG identified" by Wake County. They also have GT, which is a magnet program to which anyone can be accepted. Wake's GT program falls under the assumption that ALL children are gifted and/or talented, therefore they offer all students classes in the arts, sciences etc, but the AG program is different.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:55 AM

lamishra,

yes you are right -- you do not need to be AG to apply to the GT part of Ligon -- the arts program is just great there. substitute AG into my statement above.

Note: If you need/want the AG program, you DO need to check the AG basics checkbox. If you don't, then you won't get the slot. and your child has to be designated AG 'in the system' for it all to work out. This is evaluated in the 3rd and 4th grades in elementary. no idea how transfers into the system work.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times
Quote:
lamishra,

yes you are right -- you do not need to be AG to apply to the GT part of Ligon -- the arts program is just great there. substitute AG into my statement above.

Note: If you need/want the AG program, you DO need to check the AG basics checkbox. If you don't, then you won't get the slot. and your child has to be designated AG 'in the system' for it all to work out. This is evaluated in the 3rd and 4th grades in elementary. no idea how transfers into the system work.

I figured that's what you meant, I just thought the AG versus GT things might be confusing for anyone reading the because I think in several other states, GT is there what AG is here. I just wanted to clarify that in WCPSS, they are separate programs. AG you have to qualify for and GT you don't.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:42 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,852 times
Just for the record--not all magnet schools are located in bad areas of town. Or even lower income areas. Joyner, Wiley, Underwood, Broughton, Martin (and Daniels, recently demagnetized) all serve base areas that are quite expensive to live in. Not all of their base students are non-F&R but many are and some of those magnets actually bus in their low income kids from 'downtown' (basically the other side of Capital). Underwood does this and so does Wiley I believe.

I agree with VSB's assessment. Every single child living ITB north of Hillsborough St (or very near to that street) and north/west of Capital Blvd currently attends a magnet middle school, most if not all attend Broughton HS (magnet) and a great number attend a magnet elem school. These are not low income neighborhoods or even 'barely getting by' neighborhoods. They are neighborhoods where the houses cost upwards of $200/sq ft. The median home price over the past year for some of these nodes is $700K. They receive all of these extras for 'free' that the rest of us are denied at our base schools. They don't have to ride the bus for an hour to get there, they get to go to school with their neighborhood friends and all of the magnets I listed above have F&R percentages lower than the county averages. Martin, Wiley and Underwood are all in the mid 20s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary