Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:48 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times

Advertisements

Cowboy- Yeah right- Nobody around here can do anything with their hands. What an IDIOTIC comment. I can introduce you to some home grown bad ass old raleigh boys that could build any damn thing that you could imagine. That statement that you made is truly stupid. This hillbilly town of Raleigh actually has craftsmen that have been putting up dental molding, wainscotting, plaster walls, covered porches etc for a long time. I will give names if you need them. You have not been here long enough to make broad stupid statements like you just did. You were so wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
Cowboy- Yeah right- Nobody around here can do anything with their hands. What an IDIOTIC comment. I can introduce you to some home grown bad ass old raleigh boys that could build any damn thing that you could imagine. That statement that you made is truly stupid. This hillbilly town of Raleigh actually has craftsmen that have been putting up dental molding, wainscotting, plaster walls, covered porches etc for a long time. I will give names if you need them. You have not been here long enough to make broad stupid statements like you just did. You were so wrong.
As is usual, you miss the point entirely. But what is new, right? This is city-data, not the hillbilly side of Raleigh. Your comback barely warrants a response. I'm sure someone who builds homes for a living can stick frame a storage shed too. The point, since you missed as per usual, is most here, on the forum, don't care to learn or try. I am well aware that there are people out there who can provide SERVICES, for these types of things. THAT WAS THE POINT! Do it yourself, if you don't know how, learn. GET IT NOW?

To put it to you another way uncle, do you think the average home owner in Cary does any of the things on my list?

Old 12-13-2008, 10:38 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Assumptions due to a lack of information:

Gable roof
8/12 pitch
Attached garage
28 squares with 10% waste on material means 31 squares of material purchased.
210 LF Soffit
210 LF Fascia
Tyvek purchase and installation
2 dumpsters for old siding

The $22,000--$25,000 figure isn't wildly high for a competent contractor on a job of that size.

To get back on topic here, the above sounds in line with estimates my friends recently got for a similar project.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
To get back on topic here, the above sounds in line with estimates my friends recently got for a similar project.
And what would you know about it? Afterall, you picked the Giants over the Cowboys tomorrow. You must know something Vegas doesn't. Cowboys 4 1/2 point favorites. But don;t worry, it won't be that close.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:13 AM

531 posts, read 1,982,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
The point, since you missed as per usual, is most here, on the forum, don't care to learn or try. I am well aware that there are people out there who can provide SERVICES, for these types of things. THAT WAS THE POINT! Do it yourself, if you don't know how, learn. GET IT NOW?

To put it to you another way uncle, do you think the average home owner in Cary does any of the things on my list?
I gotta add a word of support for Mr. Cowboy here. I think I know where he is coming from. My parents used to rail against what they called "educated fools"--I believe the very people that Mr. Cowboy finds so laughable/upsetting. Of course, if it weren't for Educated Fools, how would so many people in the trades make a living?

I think that Mr. Cowboy's point might be: you may be wealthy now and can afford to hire out. But what happens when bad times come to Cary? Better to be well-versed in many things--to be in a position of strength, not dependence. Also, by being so willfully ignorant about home/car/clothing maintenance, you are opening yourself up to being overcharged!

Last edited by goat1of2; 12-14-2008 at 04:51 AM..

Old 12-14-2008, 05:02 AM

446 posts, read 1,393,976 times
Quote:
And what would you know about it? Afterall, you picked the Giants over the Cowboys tomorrow. You must know something Vegas doesn't. Cowboys 4 1/2 point favorites. But don;t worry, it won't be that close.

I hope the Cowboys self destruct before the entire nation....T.O. goes nuts and blows up on Romo in the huddle. Jerry Jones fires the whole team.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:32 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
I wonder if mrmike, the original poster thinks he has obtained the answer he sought?
Or as Microsoft may say, "Did you find this information helpful?"

Gotta go.
I'm pulling my brain tumor and giving myself a liver transplant this morning, after I launch the space shuttle from the back yard. That will be the glow over Davis Drive in a few minutes.
All tuckered out from my barn-raising yesterday...

Old 12-14-2008, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrinityRez View Post
The estimate that has been provided is spot on if you want a professional job. And yes there is a difference in a professional job and a handyman job. When it comes to my home I hire a professional all the time. There are a lot of jobs I could do but never as well as a professional. Also, the time to do a large portion of the work around my home is limited.

If the original thread starter wants to get an estimate from a very reputable locally owned company that has an A plus rating at the BBB and an amazing past customer references on Angie's List he/she should contact American Craftsmen of NC.

www.americancrafstmennc.com
Putting up siding is not complex, contrary to what you might believe. Sure it is hard work, but not rocket sience. So you hire a "reputable" big yellow page advertising company. A nice guy, well dressed comes out, shakes your hand, talks a good game and gives you an estimate for almost double the price a 30 year experienced carpenter who has a contracter's license and is working as a handyman gives you. The handyman, with 30 years experience shows up to do the job with his parter and its all hands on. The big yellow page guy, who showed up in a suit, sends out 12 illegals he is paying $7 an hour. They do the job well, because it is simple, but you just overpaid. There are good handyman and bad ones. All you have to do is check them out, get references and verify their experience.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:12 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbis View Post
I hope the Cowboys self destruct before the entire nation....T.O. goes nuts and blows up on Romo in the huddle. Jerry Jones fires the whole team.
Woah! Not until after my fantasy football playoffs! (I have Romo on my team lol)

Old 12-14-2008, 01:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
lmao, you people are so gullible. Replacing siding is easy! To bad nobody from these parts can seem to even replace a light bulb and have to call an electrician to replace a burned out light. I laugh so hard at some of the posts here. Can people do anything for themselves anymore?

I wrote about putting in my own tile, or building your own fence, or repairing a leeky roof and you all act like I'm an alien. How will you all survive if things get bad?

Anyhow, I had 3/4" solid oak flooring put in my home for less then $6 a sq ft. It you want to pay that much for siding, go ahead, knock yourself out.

For crying loud, you can have a 1000 sq ft. buiders grade home built on your own property for $55,000. Ya, I'm going to shell out $25,000 for siding. Give me a break! Whatever floats your boat.

Terribly judgemental post ...everyone decides what to pay to have done and what to tackle themselves. If you get bad vibes from your posts it is not that DIY is a weird idea it is because your post are very arrogant and smug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary