U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-30-2008, 06:07 PM

139 posts, read 170,810 times
Default House Main Joist and Sills Question

Hello!

I am in the process of purchasing a house and just had the home inspection completed. 2 issues were found:

1. Main joists are resting on the concrete block pillars w/o a moisture barrier between them. Joists are not pressure treated wood.

2. Sill around the house does not have a moisture barrier between the concrete foundation and sill...not all wood is pressure treated.

The crawlspace ranges from 4 - 6 feet in height. No moisture barrier on the ground either.

Is this a problem? Isn't there supposed to be a moisture barrier between the concrete block and wood joist especially if the builder didn't use pressure treated wood??

If this is the way it was supposed to be built, how do you fix it now?

Thank you for any input you can shed on this!!

Carol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-30-2008, 07:19 PM

106 posts, read 214,653 times
You're are right about that there should be pressure treated wood and moisture barrier used if not in time the wood will begin to rot and it will eventually cost you alot of money, there also should be a moisture barrier in the crawl space. That is an easy fix. It looks like the builder took a short cut. I would not purchase the house, there are too many on the market to choose from. Good luck

Unread 11-30-2008, 09:07 PM

62 posts, read 174,012 times
I think you may be overreacting but no one can be sure until they get under the house and check it out. I've seen plenty of crawl spaces and rarely are joists, sills, or band joists made from pressure treated wood or have any moisture barrier between them and their supporting pillars. The problem that you are NOT overreacting about is the moisture barrier covering the ground. If there is any sign of mold or rot, this is probably the concern.

Keep in mind, inspectors in this situation generally need to point out every, minuscule, tiny, sometimes unimportant detail. This may be one of them. If they don't point out all of these details it could come back to haunt them as in a lawsuit.

I would probe your inspector as to the seriousness of this (which he will be reluctant to divulge because that's not his job and he's sticking his neck out if he does) or get under there yourself and see if there are any signs of mold or rot.

Good luck!

Unread 11-30-2008, 09:16 PM

18,305 posts, read 26,510,968 times
Is this a new home, an existing modern home, or an older home?

Is there an elevated moisture issue under the house?

Did the code call for the vapor barrier on the ground, or treated wood sills, bands, or beams, or moisture barrier on piers and foundation walls when the house was built?

Unread 12-01-2008, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Is this a new home, an existing modern home, or an older home?

Is there an elevated moisture issue under the house?

Did the code call for the vapor barrier on the ground, or treated wood sills, bands, or beams, or moisture barrier on piers and foundation walls when the house was built?
Mike,

The house was built in 2006 in Harnett County. Our termite inspector said the moisture level was at 12% (which I gather is good for a crawl w/o a moisture barrier)

Not sure about the code...I'm from Atlanta and every house I have ever come in contact with had a moisture barrier between the piers and bands and beams...Even a few houses I looked at here before focusing in on this one had the same. (I like looking around in crawl spaces : ) ) But those were in different counties.

So, how would I go about finding out the code for Harnett in 2006?

There is no evience of any mold or mildew in the crawl at this point.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!!

Carol

Unread 12-01-2008, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorne65 View Post
Mike,

The house was built in 2006 in Harnett County. Our termite inspector said the moisture level was at 12% (which I gather is good for a crawl w/o a moisture barrier)

Not sure about the code...I'm from Atlanta and every house I have ever come in contact with had a moisture barrier between the piers and bands and beams...Even a few houses I looked at here before focusing in on this one had the same. (I like looking around in crawl spaces : ) ) But those were in different counties.

So, how would I go about finding out the code for Harnett in 2006?

There is no evience of any mold or mildew in the crawl at this point.

Thank you for taking the time to respond!!

Carol

Just found out the answer to my own question about code. It is NC Code and has been in force since appx 1982.

Do you think it unreasonable to ask the seller to pay for gutters to be installed and a moisture barrier on the crawl floor, as a sort of compromise to us not backing out of the deal due to code violation?

Thanks,

Carol

Unread 12-01-2008, 10:59 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,432,681 times
My parents crawl space does not have a moisture barrier, and they've never had any problems. The house I think was built before '82 however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary