Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,086,901 times

Advertisements

Here's what my landlord paid this year. Bet it's in our rent.

Current Due: $186,706.38
Due Date: 09/01/2008
Interest Begins: 01/06/2009
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 08:21 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,036,669 times
Default reply

we pay $5500 which is almost 500 per month. If you do not get a bill from the county tax collector, then you do not pay property taxes. Sure the owner or LLC does. But renters pay no property tax. Nice try though. Nothing wrong at all with renting, but the facts are the facts.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
we pay $5500 which is almost 500 per month. If you do not get a bill from the county tax collector, then you do not pay property taxes. Sure the owner or LLC does. But renters pay no property tax. Nice try though. Nothing wrong at all with renting, but the facts are the facts.
Sure we do.

It's part of the landlord's operating expenses and passed to us in our monthly rent.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:37 PM

Default reply

Are you personally on the Wake County tax records? Do you receive a bill for your apartment? Renters do not pay property taxes. You will argue otherwise, so I suggest calling the WCRD and asking them how much you owe in 2008 property taxes. The complex owner pays property taxes. You pay rent only. Taxes are a property OWNERS responsibility. I own two rental properties. I would love it if my tenants would pay my property taxes. They pay me rent. Pretty simple concept.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:42 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,621,483 times
Quote:
The tax may not go directly from our bank account to the county, but it goes through the landlord like a middle-man. The owner of the property gets the bill and writes the check, but you can bet that the cost of the tax is covered by the tenants.

My land lady informed us that she will be raising the rent for the four units in our building at the beginning of the year. She specifically said it was due to increased property tax. I checked her tax record on the Wake County website, and her taxes nearly doubled after the revaluation. So this makes sense to me - her costs of owning the property increased, so she must increase her income from the property in order to maintain her profit margin.

The purpose of owning a rental property is to make a profit on renting it out. The rent must cover all expenses of the property (mortgage, insurance, maintenance, and property tax). It would not make sense to rent a property out without covering all of these expenses from the rental income plus a bit more to make a profit. At least it doesn't make sense to me.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Are you personally on the Wake County tax records? Do you receive a bill for your apartment? Renters do not pay property taxes. You will argue otherwise, so I suggest calling the WCRD and asking them how much you owe in 2008 property taxes. The complex owner pays property taxes. You pay rent only. Taxes are a property OWNERS responsibility. I own two rental properties. I would love it if my tenants would pay my property taxes. They pay me rent. Pretty simple concept.
Just a matter of semantics.

We pay through the landlord just as your tenants pay through you.

Same as some apts with water included in the rent. Landlord pays the city and the cost is factored into the rent just like the super's salary.

If you don't pay the rent, you get evicted just as if an SF owner failed to pay taxes.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:44 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,621,483 times
Quote:
So, do you not include the cost of your property taxes in the rent you charge to your tenants? If not, I'd love to be a tenant of yours!

Old 11-30-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
So, do you not include the cost of your property taxes in the rent you charge to your tenants? If not, I'd love to be a tenant of yours!
I might move there too.

Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 PM

Default reply

I am not disputing what you are saying. I know all too well about the cost of doing business. But the reality is that renters do not owe or pay property taxes on their dwelling. Again, I am not being snobby towards renters at all. I was one for several years. Renters certainly contribute to the tax revenues indirectly.But they do not pay property taxes.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
I am not disputing what you are saying. I know all too well about the cost of doing business. But the reality is that renters do not owe or pay property taxes on their dwelling. Again, I am not being snobby towards renters at all. I was one for several years. Renters certainly contribute to the tax revenues indirectly.But they do not pay property taxes.
Won't beat this horse any more but the answer is that renters pay property taxes, but indirectly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary