U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2007, 03:28 PM

3 posts, read 9,580 times

Advertisements

I am software Engg..planning on moving to raleigh NC. I want to know hows Raleigh in terms of job growth in IT. Also how's the housing market..and cost of living..I like NH in terms of that it doesnot have state income taxes and sales tax..but winter sucks..and housing is too high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 03:36 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,624,974 times
just curious....where in NH are you moving from?

Old 02-26-2007, 03:40 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,712,794 times
Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwadhwa603 View Post
I am software Engg..planning on moving to raleigh NC. I want to know hows Raleigh in terms of job growth in IT. Also how's the housing market..and cost of living..I like NH in terms of that it doesnot have state income taxes and sales tax..but winter sucks..and housing is too high
dont know anything about NH but the job growth here is not all that special. The cost of living and housing and nice people is mostly what brings people here. I am in IT and dont see a "pot of gold" here like some might say.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,209 times
Moved here 14 years ago from southern NH. I have been in the employment business 22 years and the Triangle has had it's ups and downs job wise. IT is warm and cold but about to get hotter. You can't beat the overall qualityof life here. Winters are much more friendly. It's worth the risk

Old 02-26-2007, 08:30 PM

Thanks! I am moving from Merrimack, New Hampshire...through internet research HollySprings looks promising in terms of growth and housing, however hearing bad things about commute to RTP. I will appreicate your intake on this..

Last edited by rwadhwa603; 02-26-2007 at 08:41 PM..

Old 02-26-2007, 09:59 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,216,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwadhwa603 View Post
Thanks! I am moving from Merrimack, New Hampshire...through internet research HollySprings looks promising in terms of growth and housing, however hearing bad things about commute to RTP. I will appreicate your intake on this..
You'd find Holly Springs very similar to Merrimack. My wife grew up in Milford... hated the small town life, moved to Cambridge/Boston and loved it, so we're downtown Durhamites. :-) But if Merrimack is your kind of place, Holly Springs has an eerily similar vibe. Apex, too.

I don't do the commute from HS so others can speak to it, but I'd _assume_ that until I-540 gets built down that way as a toll road in a few years, it'll be harsh.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:16 PM

330 posts, read 1,770,204 times
Default Raleigh -- Best place for jobs?

But i thought Forbes rated Raleigh as the best place to live for employment?

Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,216,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsm196 View Post
But i thought Forbes rated Raleigh as the best place to live for employment?
Everyone has their own experience with things like jobs. Personally, I was very lucky -- had a job opening that paralleled my previous employment, and had a connection between two senior leaders in my old and new organizations that led to a phone screen one day after my resume arrived, a fly-down two weeks later and a job offer three days after that.

In the end, did the great job market in the Triangle help? Yes, it did... but so did having a connection. That generally matters more than anything. Cold calling/cold resume drops/Monster.com drops don't work very well by comparison. Plus, some people have up-to-date skills, others don't... it goes on and on.

Compared to other places I've lived, excepting the insane dot-com boomtime, the environment for jobs here in IT is the best I've seen. I have not lived in Austin or S.F., where I would imagine one might have similar or better experiences.

Old 02-27-2007, 08:30 AM

thanks!! Do you what is the decent salary to have a decent life in NC. Do you have any idea what are hourly rates for contractual Software Engg .NET
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary