Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 02:18 PM

4 posts, read 10,977 times

Advertisements

I am moving from Atlanta in the spring and need some help on where to live...I will be fresh out of college after finishing my undergrad. Myself and a couple other friends will be moving to work at Duke Univ. Hospital..I'm not familiar with the area at all and want to live somewhere safe, stuff to do, nightlife and meet people..can anyone help??Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 02:32 PM

54 posts, read 160,870 times
Check out the good areas of Downtown Durham near Duke's campus. Brightleaf Square area, West Village, Trinity Park, etc. Much has improved in the past year that I have worked downtown and according to the people who live in the area it is much better than in years past. American Tobacco Campus, DPAC, Durham Bulls, etc are all within a good walking distance.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Are you looking to buy or rent? Budget?

If I was in your shoes, I'd give strong consideration to places like Station 9 near Ninth Street, West Village at Brightleaf Square and the new lofts/apartments at the American Tobacco Campus. Living in these areas and working at the hospital, it would be possible to get by without a car, especially once the new free circulator bus route begins early next year.

If lofts/apartments aren't your thing, there are a lot of great homes within close proximity of both the hospital and downtown Durham. Some neighborhoods worth noting: Old North Durham, Old West Durham, Trinity Park, Watts-Hillandale, etc...

Old 12-02-2008, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the replies, that helps a lot!I am looking to rent, atleast for awhile anything $800/month or below..there's three of us moving up there (22 y/o girls), I've just heard there's some bad areas of Durham, and the problem is we don't know exactly where they are!We started looking around RTP area and more towards Chapel Hill, a short commute to work would be fine. We want to be in the middle of everything where ever we live, it's just hard when you don't know the area!Thanks again!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Just want to let you know it's going to hard in that price range for a 3 bedroom under $800. There are places out there but it will be tough to find and most of course not in the greatest areas. If you just up it to $900 or $1000 that would open up more options for you. Between the three of you splitting things that is still a good deal. The neighborhoods above are a bit out of your price range for a 3 bedroom. You may be able to find a 3 BR but with only 1 BA (which would be pretty rough with 3 girls). I did find one 3/2 for $850! Trinity Park Bungalow (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/927431997.html - broken link)

Older apartments may have opntions as well. Just don't be too picky in that price range.

Check this out too for rentals:
http://communityhousing.duke.edu/

Old 12-02-2008, 01:29 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Just want to let you know it's going to hard in that price range for a 3 bedroom under $800. There are places out there but it will be tough to find and most of course not in the greatest areas. If you just up it to $900 or $1000 that would open up more options for you. Between the three of you splitting things that is still a good deal. The neighborhoods above are a bit out of your price range for a 3 bedroom. You may be able to find a 3 BR but with only 1 BA (which would be pretty rough with 3 girls). I did find one 3/2 for $850! Trinity Park Bungalow (http://raleigh.craigslist.org/apa/927431997.html - broken link)

Older apartments may have opntions as well. Just don't be too picky in that price range.

Check this out too for rentals:
Duke University | Community Housing | Home
I was just going to suggest Craigslist. The area around Trinity Park is improving (Trinty Park is great, some of the surrounding areas are shady) so always drive around and check out the neighboring streets. It really is a great location.

Another good spot in Durham is Yorktowne townhomes. They are old, but they are cheap and the neighborhood is decent.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:24 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,099,725 times
Coming from Atlanta, I think you'll be quite pleased with the crime in Durham. Most of the worst crime is centered in the east-central parts of Durham...south of Hwy 98 and east of Duke St. This is a gross generalization of the crime areas, however if you're staying closer to the university and/or hospital, you should be fine.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:40 PM

12 posts, read 37,564 times
Hey! I'm 22 years old recent college grad from University of Mississippi moving to Durham for a recent job offer as well. I'm totally new to the area and where to live, luckily I don't have to search right away because I work for Marriott and they are allowing me to reside in the hotel I'm going to be working for a couple months.

Anyways, I'll be looking for people to meet and bars/nightlife to frequent as well.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:00 PM

Thanks for all the replies this is really helping, I'm heading up there on Thursday to look around and will have to look into these places...up to $800/month for each of us to pay not the total rent.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trogers8 View Post
Hey! I'm 22 years old recent college grad from University of Mississippi moving to Durham for a recent job offer as well. I'm totally new to the area and where to live, luckily I don't have to search right away because I work for Marriott and they are allowing me to reside in the hotel I'm going to be working for a couple months.

Anyways, I'll be looking for people to meet and bars/nightlife to frequent as well.
Oh, cool!So are you originally from Mississippi?when are you moving up to Durham?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary