Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2008, 03:46 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times

Advertisements

Last fall/winter I turned down two job offers in Raleigh and allowed my wife's "dream house" in Raleigh to be sold to another buyer (it was on the market from Oct thru Apr). Now I find myself in the position of possibly being able to rescind the second decline of employment, accept the job offer, and finally move to Raleigh.

Lo and Behold! I receive one of those e-mail offers today regarding a foreclosed property listing subscription, and it appears my wife's "dream house" may be in foreclosure. The subscription offer is devoid of many details, but enough are provided to make me believe it may be the same home (street name and aerial photo).

Is there a free database (County or City operated) that would provide these details? I know that many of these paid subscriptions are somewhat bogus and charge the subscriber money to access a free database.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:53 PM

43,262 posts, read 77,033,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Last fall/winter I turned down two job offers in Raleigh and allowed my wife's "dream house" in Raleigh to be sold to another buyer (it was on the market from Oct thru Apr). Now I find myself in the position of possibly being able to rescind the second decline of employment, accept the job offer, and finally move to Raleigh.

Lo and Behold! I receive one of those e-mail offers today regarding a foreclosed property listing subscription, and it appears my wife's "dream house" may be in foreclosure. The subscription offer is devoid of many details, but enough are provided to make me believe it may be the same home (street name and aerial photo).

Is there a free database (County or City operated) that would provide these details? I know that many of these paid subscriptions are somewhat bogus and charge the subscriber money to access a free database.

Thanks!
As soon as a substitute trustee is appointed, some of the sites will list the property in "Preforeclosure" and shoot it to you, even though the property may not be on the market. It may well never go into foreclosure, even, if the owner is able to keep it.
The listing may even be from when the home was on the market and you were considering it.
Some of them run many months behind, and never clean up their mess.

If it has been foreclosed, the Wake County Tax site will tell you who the current owner is, i.e., most likely the bank.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:00 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,935,871 times
With a little searching on Wakegov.com you may be able to find out. I would first go to the Tax, Property and Maps section then "Search Real Estate" put in the street name. This will then give you all the properties on the street. Hopefully it is not too big of a street because you would probably have to go into each record to see the photo to see if it was the one. One other indicator on this page would be to look at the owner name. If it's a corporate name (bank, etc.) it would also be an indicator that it is possibly a foreclosed property. If it is just in the initial stages of foreclosure it would still be under the original Buyers name.

Once you think you know which house and have the recorded property owner name then you can go to the Register Deeds section and do a search by the owner. It would have the recorded deed, any notices of default, etc. that would let you know it is going into foreclosure or if the deed has been transferred back to lender.

If you hit a road block, DM me and I can try to help you out.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:04 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times
Try ths website:
HUD Properties Listing (http://www.tenmanagement.com/listings/search-by-city.do;jsessionid=85BA6217A0AFB341B38EB7A54F0A131 7?tab=0 - broken link)
Good luck!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:48 PM

4,276 posts, read 5,930,607 times
Thanks.

It appears the house in foreclosure is across the street. The aerial photo was of a pretty large area, and the "balloon" indicating which property was in Pre-foreclosure was pointing to the home we both liked. The house across the street is now bank owned, effective early November, so that must be the one.

I learned this from the Wake County Tax Assessors web site.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:53 PM

9 posts, read 23,011 times
Foreclosures are not easily found in NC. Some foreclosed properties are listed in MLS, some are sold via auctions and others are only available for purchase on the court house steps. Too bad this one was the house was across the street - now you'll have to live w/ your wife's broken dreams!! Most foreclosures do NOT have notices filed in the Register of Deeds pages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary