Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
I thought "The Triangle" referred to the geographic spacing of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill? And that Research Triangle Park was named for THAT? Maybe I'm wrong.
The "Triangle" in Research Triangle Park is named for that triangle of towns (or colleges or horse farms) that form a triangle on the map. The whole area was not called "The Triangle" until after the RTP was created. They basically needed to market the Industrial/Technology park and came up with the name, the name was then adopted into modern lexicon.

A tissue is not a Kleenex but we say "Hand me a Kleenex." even if it is Puffs brand. Back in the day you used to say "Make me a Xerox." Even though it was a Canon Copier. The Triangle became a general term for this area, based on the marketing for the RTP. Another descriptor for all of central North Carolina is "The Piedmont" , which is a geographical descriptor and not a location, but it has been given a capital "P" and used as a location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 01:25 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyO View Post
...which also form a triangle on the map.
Thats what I heard, but I'm from CA so what do I know...

Old 12-03-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
Thats what I heard, but I'm from CA so what do I know...
You must know a lot, you were smart enough to get out of CA

Old 12-03-2008, 02:46 PM

For the people that think I am crazy about airport codes: here is a post

I was reading it and noticed him reference ATL.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:14 AM

20 posts, read 70,232 times
i have some questions for chuckreis......what was it like there 24 years ago? what is the general feeling of locals (new or not) about the massive influx there? i know you can't speak for everyone, but are newcomers generally welcomed or not? i experienced the negative side of this situation in denver in the late 90's and it stinks to be so excited about making a personal life choice only to feel unwelcomed and that you are contributing to the annoyance of others. let me know what you think if you would....or anyone else for that matter!! thanks!!

Old 12-04-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynce2325 View Post
i have some questions for chuckreis......what was it like there 24 years ago? what is the general feeling of locals (new or not) about the massive influx there? i know you can't speak for everyone, but are newcomers generally welcomed or not? i experienced the negative side of this situation in denver in the late 90's and it stinks to be so excited about making a personal life choice only to feel unwelcomed and that you are contributing to the annoyance of others. let me know what you think if you would....or anyone else for that matter!! thanks!!
I was only ten 24 years ago, so my memory will be fuzzy, and I lived in Durham but moving in from the Midwest here are my thoughts on that era. Durham was still a very segregated town. City Schools (where I went) were almost all African American and county schools were rich white kids or rednecks. I was one of 8 white kids in my entire Middle School for 6th Grade. I then moved on to another school where it was more balanced.

Durham was still active in cigarette production and it seemed to me that it was still a slow paced southern town. At that point Northerners were just beginning to come down in mass. A lot of locals, and kids at my schools would complain about the Yankees messing things up. As the tobacco industry failed and more high tech, medical and diverse jobs brought more and more jobs that talk died down.

Now no one that matters cares about someone moving in. This is a region of "what kind of accent is that?" or "where are you from originally?" Those are very typical questions to start a conversation. No one really cares, unless they are from the same area, it is just like, "How's the weather?"

You may run into 'Oh you live in Durham, you are brave?", or "You live in Cary, did you win the lottery?" but that is just good natured ribbing of stereotypes of those locations. I hear a lot more of that than the "damn yankee" talk.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:18 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckreis View Post
I was only ten 24 years ago, so my memory will be fuzzy, and I lived in Durham but moving in from the Midwest here are my thoughts on that era. Durham was still a very segregated town. City Schools (where I went) were almost all African American and county schools were rich white kids or rednecks. I was one of 8 white kids in my entire Middle School for 6th Grade. I then moved on to another school where it was more balanced.

Durham was still active in cigarette production and it seemed to me that it was still a slow paced southern town. At that point Northerners were just beginning to come down in mass. A lot of locals, and kids at my schools would complain about the Yankees messing things up. As the tobacco industry failed and more high tech, medical and diverse jobs brought more and more jobs that talk died down.

Now no one that matters cares about someone moving in. This is a region of "what kind of accent is that?" or "where are you from originally?" Those are very typical questions to start a conversation. No one really cares, unless they are from the same area, it is just like, "How's the weather?"

You may run into 'Oh you live in Durham, you are brave?", or "You live in Cary, did you win the lottery?" but that is just good natured ribbing of stereotypes of those locations. I hear a lot more of that than the "damn yankee" talk.
I was also young when I moved to NC in '87 and Durham County in '88. I do remember the city and county schools being segregated. I was in the 7th grade when there schools were merged together. My classes through elementary school were all white with exception of a couple students. After the merger things were much more balanced. I grew up with all the changes in Durham and the population doubling. Plus I am originally from CA so really all the transplants didn't faze me.

I also here the "OMG you're from Durham?" My bf is from Cary. We tease each other every now and then. He started it though

Old 12-05-2008, 12:58 PM

20 posts, read 70,232 times
thanks to the two previous posts. some of the entries seem so bitter and it feels like...geez....i'm just a normal (though my husband would beg to differ) person thinking about a move that might benefit my family, kids and future generations of my family!! it's not a crime!! we haven't made up our minds yet but the bitterness is a sort of turn off in a way .....and i like to think i can handle stuff beins from philly ya know (talk about an accent)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary