U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 PM

67 posts, read 237,467 times

Advertisements

I got mine back with no problem after a year WITH INTEREST =) I recently got mine back. I put down a deposit with Time Warner even before Progress and I haven't seen what my deposit looks like yet. Let's hope I get it. But you definitely get it back with progress with interest.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM

1,878 posts, read 3,314,361 times
It's all based on credit. Some are more lenient than others. Years ago when I was younger and the first time to ever put electricity in my name I had to put a $100 deposit (didn't have enough credit). But just over a year ago when TWC turned over to doing credit checks I didn't have to put a deposit down. The worse your credit is the riskier you are so therefore you will have a higher deposit. Especially in times like these.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:13 PM

739 posts, read 2,507,014 times
We moved 15 months ago from NJ and we had to put down 200. Then we moved within NC and when I inquired about my deposit being credited to my account they said I was late for 1 payment within the year and now they have to keep it another full year. They said we can only recieve it back with interest if we have no late payments for the entire year.

TWC did not require a deposit. And the gas company didn't require a deposit.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:28 PM

129 posts, read 373,956 times
When we moved here last year, we were asked to give a $150 deposit for electric . Our credit was good, but we had a house in Florida that we were selling and I think the fact that we had another home and paying electric on two homes may have prompted them to ask for a deposit. If one pays on time for one year, the deposit is refunded with interest. We did get it back one year later on time...They do base it on credit. They do a credit check on prospective clients. Good luck!

Old 10-27-2009, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 6,603 times
whether or not you have to pay a deposit IS based on credit, but the AMOUNT you have to pay is not based on credit or square footage. it is based on the average monthly bill at the location times two. so if the average bill at the apartment was $175 then yes, the deposit would be $350. i know because i used to work there and dealt with this all the time. also, you don't simply get the deposit back after a year, you get it back after 12 consecutive months of on time payments. hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM

525 posts, read 1,855,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post
If you have good credit and agree to a credit check, they will waive the deposit. Progress, PSNC and Town of Cary all waived the deposit requirement when I set up our accounts in January. Two of them did credit checks, the other (I think T.O.C.) was satisfied with a ct refence from a previous utility company. Our last electric bill in MA had a note thanking us for being such a good customer and offered to serve as a reference. A copy of the bill was good enough to establish new ct.
We had the same experience moving to Raleigh from California. Our credit was checked and deposit waived. Ironically, the library wanted me to bring in a utility bill or proof of residence to get a library card and I think we took a closing statement or something to the DMV.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:00 PM

6,370 posts, read 10,463,289 times
This thread is a year old.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 2,838 times
I think it is just because they can and they have very little competition. They do NOT go by your credit. We were going to put it in my boyfriends name because he has practically perfect credit. They told me that it was based off of the last 12 months of usage doubled. So...I had to pay a 495 dollar deposit. Even though since I've been there for 4 months my electric bill has never been more than 40 dollars a month. So in all actuality I had to pay them a deposit equal to a years worth of service.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:48 AM

1,032 posts, read 761,326 times
I moved here last July and didnt have to pay a deposit, but I did for the water, which was credited to my account in 6 months

Old 05-11-2013, 07:48 PM

6,370 posts, read 10,463,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantress954 View Post
I think it is just because they can and they have very little competition. They do NOT go by your credit. We were going to put it in my boyfriends name because he has practically perfect credit. They told me that it was based off of the last 12 months of usage doubled. So...I had to pay a 495 dollar deposit. Even though since I've been there for 4 months my electric bill has never been more than 40 dollars a month. So in all actuality I had to pay them a deposit equal to a years worth of service.
A lot of new credit cards will give you $100 for spending $500. Should've opened up an account, put the deposit down with that card and gotten a free $100...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary