Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 PM

447 posts, read 1,717,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KFran View Post
We have Netflix for movies, I think it's $17.95 for three movies, and just regular old TV. We have a digital converter and get enough channels with that, so no cable/DSL needed.

For internet, we use satelite because we live in the boonies--we have business class so it's quite expensive at $210/month.
We use Satellite for internet at some remote work sites, I think it is Hughes Net. I think we only pay $100 a month with a 1 or 2 year contract and 5 static IP addresses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 07:37 PM

475 posts, read 1,304,499 times
$103.95 for internet and standard cable- not even HD- I only have channels 1-75 and NO movie channels

Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 PM

242 posts, read 1,213,050 times
TWC - Digi4000 package, 3 Boxes (1 HD DVR), Road Runner Turbo - about $192 / mo.

Also added NBA League Pass for extra $42 for 4 months, but have to see my old team (wont say which)

Old 12-03-2008, 10:39 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,919,012 times
I pay $132 per month, all taxes included for TWC television, phone internet. The phone package features unlimited nationwide and to Canada 24/7, the cable features all channels but premium movie channels so about 300 in all. But only 30 or so do I ever acutally use, the rest are "fluff-stuff" The internet is their highest speed, unlimited.

All in all, compared to others I feel like a got a decent deal. However, for the first two months I had the service it went out daily! I was seriously pissed! They lied about it too and kept playing dumb. Finally some low-level technician told me they were doing upgrades off my grid and that is why I had so much trouble. So for their expansion, I had got no service and had to pay.

Best way to cut your bill is to go strictly cell phone, no land line. Get basic cable internet $39.00 per month, still good speed and dish or direct TV. You can have 300 channels, unlimited internet at a decent speed for about $83.00 per month.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:12 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,779,921 times
We pay $42 bucks for high speed Internet with TWCNC. We chose not to pay for cable. Television is free... for now. We'll see come February, but we have no worries.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
We pay $42 bucks for high speed Internet with TWCNC. We chose not to pay for cable. Television is free... for now. We'll see come February, but we have no worries.

You can switch to Earthlink high speed cable Internet and only pay $29.99 per month for 6 months. TWCNC is the provider so you don't have to change cable modem boxes or any wiring at all. TWCNC does all the changes at their office when you call to switch over. Also, earthlink has no service commitment, so after 6 months you can switch back to TWC who will offer you a special rate to switch back. Its a no brainier to save some $$$$$!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:04 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickchick2000 View Post
$103.95 for internet and standard cable- not even HD- I only have channels 1-75 and NO movie channels

WOW you can do better than that. Shop around with the Satellite places and call your provider and tell them you are going to switch to another cable provider and usually will offer you a reduced price to stay with them. It cost you nothing but your time and some patience to save some real money each month and we all can use some extra money each month..Good luck I know you can do better than what you are paying.

Its a game with the companies, learn the rules and go play to WIN and not be played each month!

Old 01-05-2009, 06:49 PM

15 posts, read 41,861 times
I recently signed up with Dish Network. I got America's Top 100, plus the Bronze HD package, an HD DVR downstairs and regular SD Receiver upstairs. They threw in all the Cinemax channels for one year for a penny. The bill comes to around $56 per month.

I had digital phone through TWC for $20 per month before I realized I could add another phone onto my Verizon Wireless account for just $10 per month (the phone is for my latch key son to call us when he gets in, haven't had a land line for years until he started doing that this year).

I have roadrunner internet through TWC for $30 per month, but in August the promotion will end and I'll go to RoadRunner lite which I think will be $35 since I don't have any other services through them. However, I saw a special today through Verizon DSL for $18 per month for a 24 month contract. I'm definitely gonna check that out tomorrow, just need to find out if I can get it here in Wake Forest.

Before making those switches, I had all three through TWC for $116 per month as a special which would have gone up to $128 in August, and according to my dad TWC is about to raise rates so I guess it would have gone up even more. On top of all that, Dish Network has been GREAT, much happier than with TWC. And they have a new satellite that went up a few months ago, virtually anyone can get line of site to it. Dish Network gets a thumbs up from me.

By the way, one other little known fact- if you subscribe to TWC internet and your television has a QAM tuner, you can pick up local channels for free, including those in HD.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:06 PM

715 posts, read 1,038,510 times
sneezecake-
We have a similar situation: We have basic digital and roadrunner (and live out in Durham County, so T-W comes in off the power pole) but also have T-W telephone (perhaps DVR vs. phone is a wash cost-wise?) --so fairly similar costs. T-W is 'jacking' us for $130./month (and that's down from the 150 they wanted to charge/after I called and gave them an earful). This is up from the $92.00 or so we were paying for last year's "introductory" pricing.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,887,711 times
For those worried about rabbit ears and the digital transition - before moving here, I didn't bother with cable for a long time. I had a digital TV with rabbit ears, and got most local channels just fine. In fact, I got good digital reception on some channels when I could barely see the analog image.

But you can't get the cheap $10 rabbit ears - you need to spend a bit and get the high-quality ones, if you actually want to receive the signal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary