Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:18 PM

474 posts, read 2,192,603 times

Advertisements

That is why single level brick ranch homes with amenities, built like they were meant to be built, are your best buy. They got there first and got the best land. It's always more expensive to built a large ranch, especially with irregular foundations, basements, staggered roof lines. So pretty !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2007, 09:51 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Default What is the definition of a ranch in Raleigh area?

My definition of a ranch is all rooms, assuming no basement, on one level without using steps to access the backyard Many of the listings described as ranches are advertised in other parts of the country as splits or tri-level.

OT - How is square footage determined? A comment from another forum indicated North Carolina included garage in the square footage? Is this true?

Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 PM

207 posts, read 1,088,830 times
The square footage of a home only refers to the heated areas of the home, the livable space. This does not include the garage or the unfinished basement, or attic, etc... Anyone trying to sale a home and adding in the unheated areas to the square footage should be avoided...

Old 03-16-2010, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,606 times
There are new single story (ranch) homes (not necessarily for 55 and better) in the Brier creek area, Raleigh. gorgeous, open floor plans. They are planning more in the future because of high demand we are told. Most are for 55 and older. In my community Weycroft, we weren't allowed to build single story. I think the builders need to get on board with this demand. Granted it takes more property (footprint) and the builders want more bang for the buck by building higher not wider. Maybe they should notice there are so many new homes available that are small mansions!

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 AM

220 posts, read 866,281 times
We were SO frustrated when we went shopping for our first home last year that there were no one-storied homes. We're both professionals in our late twenties with one child, but with children we just prefer one storied houses. Its easier to have everyone on one floor...

Everyone told us it was because the builders didn't want to spend the money on the land b/c a lot for a ranch was more expensive. It was ridiculous how a one-storied home would cost $100K more than a two-storied home in the same neighborhood for similar square feet. VERY frustrating!!! If you wanted a one-storied home you had to either buy in a less developed area (fuquay-varina, pittsboro, clayton/benson or holly springs) or you had to pay $100K extra for it. (Or you had to be a senior to live in a senior community!!) We ended up buying a two-storied home in Apex, but we hope next time around we can afford the extra $100K for the home we really wanted...

Old 03-16-2010, 08:38 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis511 View Post
We were SO frustrated when we went shopping for our first home last year that there were no one-storied homes. We're both professionals in our late twenties with one child, but with children we just prefer one storied houses. Its easier to have everyone on one floor...

Everyone told us it was because the builders didn't want to spend the money on the land b/c a lot for a ranch was more expensive. It was ridiculous how a one-storied home would cost $100K more than a two-storied home in the same neighborhood for similar square feet. VERY frustrating!!! If you wanted a one-storied home you had to either buy in a less developed area (fuquay-varina, pittsboro, clayton/benson or holly springs) or you had to pay $100K extra for it. (Or you had to be a senior to live in a senior community!!) We ended up buying a two-storied home in Apex, but we hope next time around we can afford the extra $100K for the home we really wanted...
We live in a single story home just north of Chapel Hill, built in 1991 in a bring your own builder neighborhood (so there is a huge variety of house styles). I've seen no evidence that single story homes in the neighborhood have any premium over two story homes, or 1970's era split levels for that matter, as prices seem to track pretty closely to square footage.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:22 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis511 View Post

Your kids are still young, I think you may find when they are older, you'd be more than happy to have them on a different level! The 2 story house with a master suite on the main level is a great innovation of the last 15 or so years and something very common in triangle homes. We "tried it" when we bought a new house in South Raleigh back in 2002 and thought it was great (that was when we had a 10 and 13 year old; when we added a surprise a year later it was kind of a pain to have the baby's room on the 2nd story). We searched hard for and were VERY lucky to find one when we came back to upstate ny where new construction= colonials, 80s-90s= contemporary, and 60's-70's= split level or "raised ranch" (also known as bi-levels). Just about every house built in northern suburban areas in the 50's are either ranches or cape cods.

The only places I've been where ranches are common for new construction are THE retirement places; Florida (where it's actually a challenge to find 2-story houses), Arizona, south Texas etc. They are also the norm in much of California but cost about a bajillion dollars.

Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 AM

299 posts, read 635,264 times
I'm in my 40's and yet knowing that I didn't want to move again, it was essential to me to find a single story or at least a two story with a Master BR on the first floor. I ended up with a Master down and 2 BR, 2 BA plus loft on the second floor. This will allow me to entertain and give guests privacy when they are here from out of town. As my children both marry and have children of their own, I'll have room for them to stay here without losing privacy. If I had found a single story with the same square footage and upgrades, I would have preferred it, but this works for a long term solution.

The important thing is to build what you want or buy what you want. I do believe from everything I've read, that one story homes that are H/C accessible will become more and more popular especially over the next couple of decades, especially in areas known for a larger population of retirees.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:17 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,162,317 times
It seems to me that one story homes sell for a premium in the Triangle. Everytime I see one for sale in a neighborhood of 2 story comparables, the one story is usually priced higher per s.f. I don't have stats to back that up, it's just my perception.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:18 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
We are a unique family being older parents of 2 grown kids and 2 grade school kids. We looked for ranch in Chapel Hill and couldn't find anything. The next best thing was a 2 story with master on the main and space for an elevator in the future. And this was a custom designed house for a couple who planned to bring in laws to live with them. Eventually that first contract fell through and we came upon it.

The builder never would have built this plan except it was designed specifically for the first family.

We are using that elevator space as a mud room now but it won't be too long before we put an elevator in. This space was borrowed from a 3 car garage space making it really an oversized 2 car garage. With multi generation families living together more these days and folks being older when they have or adopt kids, this plan makes alot of sense. We have enough room for our present needs and any future grandkids and our old age should we decide to keep this big a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary