Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 08:40 PM

51 posts, read 284,183 times

Advertisements

Is there any reason why single story homes are not popular in NC? We want to build a custom 1 story home, but not sure if we should or not. Do people prefer 2 story homes? I would think that with the aging demographics, people might want 1 story homes. I know it costs more per sq ft to build a 1 story, but would I get that back when I go to sell it years from now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2007, 09:11 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Is there any reason why single story homes are not popular in NC? We want to build a custom 1 story home, but not sure if we should or not. Do people prefer 2 story homes? I would think that with the aging demographics, people might want 1 story homes. I know it costs more per sq ft to build a 1 story, but would I get that back when I go to sell it years from now?
There seem to be plenty of older single story homes.....but really, we didn't even look at single story homes when we bought. Most folks just seem to prefer at least two stories. I don't know that you'd get the higher cost back, but I am no real estate expert.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:28 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
There seem to be plenty of older single story homes.....but really, we didn't even look at single story homes when we bought. Most folks just seem to prefer at least two stories. I don't know that you'd get the higher cost back, but I am no real estate expert.
I'm no R/E expert either, but some thoughts:

1) I would guess that developers don't build 1-stories here for two reasons -- the higher per/S.F. costs of larger foundations/roof/structural support, and more importantly, land impacts. Taller homes mean greater density/acre means more profit.

2) I think you're dead to rights thinking long term in terms of people wanting to age in place... particularly in an area like the Triangle with good weather, world-class hospitals, golfing, etc. Even for a two-story home, if this is a consideration for you, find one with a first-floor master, and look for a builder who'll add "universal design" elements (things like slightly lower countertops and the like -- not noticeable to the everyday user, but someone aging in place or using a walker/wheelchair can still live in the house.)

Old 02-26-2007, 09:29 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,744 times
Default single story homes!

That's exactly what my parents asked, they are getting up there and are not into climbing stairs.

Even for those with Arthritis or disabilities, you would think there would be a nice selection.

I would guess its due to the cost of a lot, single story homes take up more space.

Just my opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post

Old 02-26-2007, 10:24 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
It's not "folks" so much as developers! They can put twice as much house on the land and make more money by building so many two story homes. Ranch homes are always at a premium because there are never enough of them

Old 02-26-2007, 10:31 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,667,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
It's not "folks" so much as developers! They can put twice as much house on the land and make more money by building so many two story homes. Ranch homes are always at a premium because there are never enough of them
I don't know about that...I see the tact that developers take....but at the same time....I know I don't want to live in a single story....but that is just our family. I do worry about what we'll do if my mother becomes ill and comes lives with us...but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

I just don't don't find a ranch at all apealing.....even if I had all the space in the world.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
I don't know about that...I see the tact that developers take....but at the same time....I know I don't want to live in a single story....but that is just our family. I do worry about what we'll do if my mother becomes ill and comes lives with us...but I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

I just don't don't find a ranch at all apealing.....even if I had all the space in the world.
I understand, I used to feel that way myself But my little ranch here in Charlotte is appreciating much faster than my neighbors two story homes exactly because they are in such demand with people over 50 who are tired of doing stairs, or have elderly parents coming to stay with them now. So, I've learned to love my little ranch for the profit it is going to make me when I sell Also, land really is at a premium and that's why typical lot sizes have shrunk too. Developers are squeezing more and more homes in areas now, so building up allows them to build more homes.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:42 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
I understand, I used to feel that way myself But my little ranch here in Charlotte is appreciating much faster than my neighbors two story homes exactly because they are in such demand with people over 50 who are tired of doing stairs, or have elderly parents coming to stay with them now. So, I've learned to love my little ranch for the profit it is going to make me when I sell Also, land really is at a premium and that's why typical lot sizes have shrunk too. Developers are squeezing more and more homes in areas now, so building up allows them to build more homes.
It's the same in Portland. When people are ready to retire are they looking for resale or convenience of one floor living? I say convenience. IMO when the baby boomers start to retire ranches will be more in demand. Retirees and singles are snapping up the ranches in my neighborhood and they're selling for a greater per square foot price than splits or colonials. We got used to one floor living in Dallas, and I hate the stairs in my house now (especially vacuuming them. We've already decided if we can't find a ranch when we move to Raleigh, we'll rent until we do.

Old 02-26-2007, 10:44 PM

330 posts, read 1,976,744 times
Default Your 100% right

After just talking to my wife she did say what i thought, even our realtor said the same. your right " Lovesmountains" its all about money , ranches take up more space for sure.

I prefer a ranch over a 2 story.But in order to find one, you will likley have to settle for an older home, or maybe buy a lot and hire a builder, thats what my cousin did in NJ and Pa.

Quote:

Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Default ranches vs two story cost per sqft

Here's a clip from a NYT article I saved:

"Of course, the average cost per square foot is less in a bigger house. ''You need at least $200 a square foot for a smaller house,'' says Eric Odor, a Minneapolis architect. ''You can spend less for a bigger house. That's because with a smaller house you've taken out the empty space, but still have the expensive space, like the kitchen and the bathroom.''
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary