U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM

2,151 posts, read 3,215,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEM View Post
I have been house hunting for 6 months and we finally found one in a neighborhood that is assigned to Apex High. Now my husband says no way. I know he is overreacting but still, neither of us can fathom our children going to school with people capable of murder.
That's just silly. Murder could happen everywhere. I live down the street in Cary, in a very nice neighborhood, from where a guy threw his pregnant wife off a bridge and killed her. To say he's overreacting is understatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM

94 posts, read 160,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metro.m View Post
Good riddance... I hope they rot in prison. The world would be a better place, without psychos like these four!!!!!!!!!
Whatever happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Old 12-04-2008, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,770 times
My son attends Panther Creek and I am not fearful that something will happen to him at school. This kinda thing can happen anywhere!! My son also plans on attending Virginia Tech upon graduation, I am not going prevent him from doing so out of fear of a repeat of the shootings that occurred on campus. My son hung out at school last year with one of those charged in the recent murder case...he told me he quit hanging near that group as he found out they were into drugs. Parents need to keep the lines of communication open with their children, not be their best friend, but just listen to what they have to say. Sometimes my son gives me too much info, but I am glad he feels he can speak freely with me.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 8,573 times
Panther Creek is a great school. The administration can only do so much. These students are assigned and reassigned every few years. The school is a small part of the development of the students. Raee1969 is right . Parents need to communicate with their children. Yes, these are still kids who are maturing at different levels. Hence, I believe the problems with the bullying of the kids in high school. Each student, child, matures differently and needs differ. Obviously these kids needed more guidance. I believe schools should try to promote individual self esteem as well as no tolerance for bullies. As for this situation, I would not be surprised to find out that drugs, alcohol, and such was involved. I am guessing a situation got out of hand. It surprises me that so many kids seem to be around drugs and parents are not aware. Schools can not do anymore. We took most discipline away from the schools and now just send the kids home (OSS). This just further alienates the students from the rest of the class. I would rather my child be punished at school with corporal punishment than OSS. However, my child would never disrespect his teachers because I have taught him in life he has to deal with different personalities and he needs to learn to get along with others. The teachers do their best with all the larger classes and the few disruptive students that are really unable to be disciplined very effectively.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:32 PM

3,033 posts, read 6,151,124 times
Do the schools down there have any sort of peer leadership program? Our town's outreach counselors have formed a great peer leadership program in conjunction with both the high school and middle school. Its main purpose is to spot kids who seem disenfranchised and figure out ways to reach out to them and to help them get involved. Studies show that kids who are involved in school activities (sports, clubs, etc.) are less likely to turn to alcohol, drugs or crime.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:54 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,648,547 times
Default reply

innocent until proven guilty is for the courts not the court of public opinion. there are some cases(not saying this one) that there is no need for me to assume innocence when the perp is guilty. OJ comes to mind.

Old 12-05-2008, 05:46 PM

94 posts, read 160,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncletupelo View Post
innocent until proven guilty is for the courts not the court of public opinion. there are some cases(not saying this one) that there is no need for me to assume innocence when the perp is guilty. OJ comes to mind.
The "court of public opinion"? No offense, but that's just plain ignorant thinking when "the general public" doesn't even know anything about the crime/case other than what the newspapers tell you. Have some trust in our justice system for crying out loud.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:14 PM

850 posts, read 2,848,551 times
I just found out tonight that Matthew was the son of my son's former pre-school teacher. It really saddens me to think that someone I knew is going through such pain. She was a very kind, nurturing person and a dedicated teacher. It seems like everything I keep reading in the media is focusing on those accused. Right now, the focus needs to be on Matthew and his family. There will be a lot of time to talk about the other kids as this story is unlikely to end anytime soon.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:54 PM

587 posts, read 1,010,868 times
Don't fool yourself folks - this could happen ANYWHERE!!! I live in an affluent suburb of Dallas (Flower Mound, which is in Lewisville independent school district) and am a psychologist who treats a large # of teenagers and their families. Our high schools are top-ranked in the state and these schools are rampant with drug use - as are all high schools these days (Again, don't fool yourself parents!). I am also the mother of a 13 y.o. and 10 y.o. I have to say that I was THRILLED when our school district instituted a random drug-testing policy last year. Participation in the testing is mandatory for any student participating in an extracurricular activity (including sports, clubs, etc.) or any student with an on-campus parking pass. In addition, any parent of a student who is not mandated by these conditions to participate, can opt their student in to the random testing. The way the #'s work out, each student in the program would on-average be tested once per school year). I know there are many parents who will disagree with this (saying they "trust" their kids), but I think it is a great deterrant ("I'd like to try that cocaine, but I can't because I don't want to get kicked out of cheerleading!") , and also a great way to get kids who can't abstain for some reason into treatment (when a student tests positive, they are required to participate in different levels of counseling, family intervention, etc. , depending on the offense - 1st offense, 2nd offense, etc.). Does anyone know if any of the schools in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, etc. area have a program like this? Since I've seen what I've seen, I had told my kids that they would be randomly drug-tested when they were teens even before this program came about - needless to say, I was thrilled when it passed in the district - and would see a program like this as a positive when looking at schools. Thoughts???

Old 12-06-2008, 06:50 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,798,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renlouis View Post
Don't fool yourself folks - this could happen ANYWHERE!!! I live in an affluent suburb of Dallas (Flower Mound, which is in Lewisville independent school district) and am a psychologist who treats a large # of teenagers and their families. Our high schools are top-ranked in the state and these schools are rampant with drug use - as are all high schools these days (Again, don't fool yourself parents!). I am also the mother of a 13 y.o. and 10 y.o. I have to say that I was THRILLED when our school district instituted a random drug-testing policy last year. Participation in the testing is mandatory for any student participating in an extracurricular activity (including sports, clubs, etc.) or any student with an on-campus parking pass. In addition, any parent of a student who is not mandated by these conditions to participate, can opt their student in to the random testing. The way the #'s work out, each student in the program would on-average be tested once per school year). I know there are many parents who will disagree with this (saying they "trust" their kids), but I think it is a great deterrant ("I'd like to try that cocaine, but I can't because I don't want to get kicked out of cheerleading!") , and also a great way to get kids who can't abstain for some reason into treatment (when a student tests positive, they are required to participate in different levels of counseling, family intervention, etc. , depending on the offense - 1st offense, 2nd offense, etc.). Does anyone know if any of the schools in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill, etc. area have a program like this? Since I've seen what I've seen, I had told my kids that they would be randomly drug-tested when they were teens even before this program came about - needless to say, I was thrilled when it passed in the district - and would see a program like this as a positive when looking at schools. Thoughts???
That's great and all, but there are drugs out there that would never show up on a drug test. I know that kids these days have access of ways of mixing certain over the counter drugs to get high. My friend's son was busted in middle school for selling his ritilin. So, a little pot here and there is nothing in comparison to what they can and often do do.

I'm not sure what the answer is but it concerns me greatly that our young kids are so violent these days. We used to get into fights and then be done with it. Never would we hear of kids killing kids. Very sad, I'm very sad for all the families in this case. Breaks my heart for all of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary