Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM

1,832 posts, read 5,089,278 times

Advertisements

I heard on the radio last year that many people get sick in reaction to their "real" Christmas trees. Well, for the past 11 Christmases I've had a faux tree because my husband swears he was allergic to the trees. Well, this person on the radio said that it's not the tree people react to, but the pesticides on it, and that an organic tree is a better choice.

Ok, maybe she was an organic tree farmer with a product to sell, I dunno. I thought I'd look into it though because I want a real tree again!

If anyone knows of some place I can find one, I'd love to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 04:04 PM

521 posts, read 1,598,482 times
Lots of people experience allergic symptoms because of the mold that inevitably grows on live Christmas trees...which I don't think is specific to organic vs. non-organic.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:21 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
Organic certification is not the easiest thing to get, so you may need to just call around and ask folks their pesticide practices. I know that at Back Achers they use human hair to keep the deer away, so my guess is that they practice integrated pest management. I'd call some of the local places like Back Achers and ask their practices. Home ‎(Back Achers Christmas Tree Farm‎)

Here's another local farm:
Boyce Farms

The only certified organic farm I found in NC was this one, which is Not Nearby: Rogue Harbor Farm - LocalHarvest

Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,642,682 times
Toxic Free NC does an annual guide for Organic Christmas Trees that I just found out about on a local blog. It looks like you'll have to make a road trip to get them, though.

Toxic Free NC - Get Involved

Old 12-04-2008, 12:33 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,193,019 times
whole foods sells trees--they might be organic.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:07 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Every major Department store and drug store in and around the triangle sell artificial trees which are 100% mold free and last longer than a couple of weeks. Heck some have been known to last 10 years or more! These are non-organic and allergy free unless your allergic to green plastic and steel wires twisted together to form branches.

They come in green, white, and silver! Oh boy! Easy to assembly and almost impossible to put back in the box they came out of for storage!

Think of them as the Build-a-Bear stores, just substitute the bear with a tree. You can cloth it with lights, ornaments, and real pine cones (only if they are allergy free ones).
What a deal!

Merry Christmas all!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 06:29 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
These are non-organic and allergy free unless your allergic to green plastic and steel wires twisted together to form branches.
But they are probably choked full of toxins, phthalates, and lead.

Nothing says Merry Christmas like your Christmas tree oozing phthalates. :

They are also made and China and use a ton of energy to get here.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:18 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,340,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
But they are probably choked full of toxins, phthalates, and lead.

Nothing says Merry Christmas like your Christmas tree oozing phthalates. :

They are also made and China and use a ton of energy to get here.
Holy Chocking fresh air! Trees as TV's VCR's and Cell-o-phane phones are Leadfree. Lead was banned 2 years ago!

As far as toxins they are in our Falls Lake drinking water so we don't have to import those!

But you got me on the energy to get them here.

I guess it gets down to what ever erecks your Christmas tree!

Old 12-05-2008, 06:47 AM

451 posts, read 1,653,643 times
I can't help much, but I am a bit skeptical on the pesticide part.

But, how about you chop your own down - in the wild, not from a farm. We used to get a permit from the state (NV) for $5 and go driving through the snowy dirt roads, and hiking/snowshoeing looking for the "perfect" tree. Were they as pretty as the store bought ones? No. More precious? Absolutely. I can't find if NC does this. It's typically through the Forest Service.

Or, if that's not your cup-o-tea, how about planting one or several in your backyard. Then next year cut, or dig up, one of them for yourself, and donate the others to needy families. You would be amazed at how something as simple as a tree can affect a family.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:59 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,577,776 times
Wow! An organic Christmas tree?!?! This organic crap really is getting out of control now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary