Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2011, 07:49 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,653,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
There is a very long trail up at Falls Lake. It is part of the "mountains to seas trail", or some similar name. My wife and I have been hiking pieces of it as we find the time. It has a number of trail heads along the south end of the lake.
These are nice because they are typically vacant of other people. Yesterday I ran into some deer on this trail.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 10:08 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,826,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
There is a very long trail up at Falls Lake. It is part of the "mountains to seas trail", or some similar name. My wife and I have been hiking pieces of it as we find the time. It has a number of trail heads along the south end of the lake.
I would second the recommendation for the Falls Lake trail. It is in my opinion the best trail within the triangle proper. Umstead is great too, but I preferr Falls Lake. Also no mountain bikes to worry about here either. If you were to do a five mile round trip hike every weekend (2.5 miles out, 2.5 miles back), it would take 4 months to hike the entire trail. It is about 40 miles long.

To get there, take basically any road that heads from the triangle towards Falls Lake. Creedmoor, Six Forks, Falls of Neuse, NC98 to name a few. Just before you cross the lake, you will find a trailhead and usually a wide shoulder for you to park. Word has it that within the next year or so, the missing link (the bridge at Jimmy Rogers road) will be built.

Map here.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:53 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,536,743 times
+1 for the above trail. I gave that info to some folks here. Just be careful during hunting season, the trail goes through hunting land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary